TakeLessons.com is scheduled for site maintenance on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 from 11:00pm to 11:45pm PDT. During this time the site may not be accessible.
Our online tools make booking, managing your schedule and paying for lessons easy and hassle-free.
Access and compare detailed information about teaching style, experience, education, and more.
If for any reason you're not satisfied after your first lesson, we'll help you find another teacher or refund your entire purchase.
No matter where you live, chances are we can introduce you to an
amazing teacher in your neighborhood. You can take lessons in the
privacy of your own home or at your teacher's location. Start by
searching in your ZIP code to find teachers near you.
What if the teacher who best fits your needs is on the other side
of the country? No problem. Our online lesson platform connects
you with any teacher, anywhere. All you need is a reliable Internet
connection, a webcam, and a microphone.
Your search for the perfect teacher starts with the subject you'd like to learn and your ZIP code. From the list of recommended teachers, compare detailed information about each option before you make your teacher selection.
Take some time to review the teachers in our network. All of our teachers provide detailed profiles, including information about their background, specialties, and teaching style. You can also read reviews from past and current students.
Select your teacher and book online. After you book, your teacher will contact you directly to talk about your first lesson and you'll be able to manage your entire schedule through our free online account.
ACT, Algebra, Arithmetic, Basic Math, Classical Guitar, Elementary Math, Geometry, Guitar, Math, Music Theory, Pre Algebra, Pre Calculus, PSAT, Reading, SAT, Science, Songwriting, Speaking Voice, Trigonometry
My name is Carlos, I have studied guitar for over 8 years with 3 years in the mighty electric guitar and 5 in the classical. Aside from mastering the most challenging concert pieces I am a composer with over 23 written and recorded songs, from classical to heavy metal. I am the teacher that will not only teach you guitar but will make you live and breathe the instrument. My style is design to motivate students to not only learn this beautiful instrument but also appreciate it and learn the discipline, commitment and unparalleled reward it brings to play it. Above all I I want my students to experience the immense joy of learning a new song, or making something sound cool by your own hand, or hopefully to create beautiful music that no one in the history of the earth has ever head before. I want to transfer my experience when I was younger to my pupils. I am a funny, cool, easy going guy that knows his stuff like you won't believe; and if the guitar is what you want to master, it is me who you are after!
*** Lesson Details ***
Here is what to expect for those who are interested in taking lessons from me:
1) A beautiful, clean and spacious study environmental oriented for the musician.
2) My 100% full attention and instruction.
3) Amazing teaching techniques and the best supplemental material (books, stereos, music stands, tuner, chord charts, lot of books, and everything else you could possibly think of)
The Curriculum (Classical, Electric, Blues, Pop and Acoustic Guitar)
-Beginner- (All styles)
1. Mastering the proper posture, finger styles and position of the hands.
2. Basic music reading and language, intro to the music world.
3. Simple Great sounding songs!
-Intermediate- (All styles)
1. Scales and chords.
2. Intermediate music theory (chord building, reading, intro to solos, building scales)
3. Popular songs (student's choice)
4. Music Composition (student's choice)
-Advanced- (Classical, Pop, Electric and acoustic guitar)
1. All scales and advanced arpeggios.
2. Advanced Music Theory (music analysis, advanced solos, scale modes, advanced music notation and reading)
3. Challenging songs, guitar solos and electric guitar lead parts. Tremolo for classical guitar.
4. Complex composition if student's desire (multiple parts, writing music using Finale software and recording)
-Professional- (Only Classical Guitar)
1. Concert repertoire pieces ( Tarrega, Barrios, Villa lobos, etc.)
2. Music dynamics, tempo changes, speed, emotion in music and consistent and fast tremolo.
3. Classical composition and writing in Finale.
4. In-depth music analyzing and development of pitch.
Class Schedule (All styles and levels)
1. Greetings, setting up, tuning, cookies maybe? :)
2. Warm up exercises (scales arpegios, etc)
3. Student shows progress done on homework for instructor feedback.
4. Song, composition or exercise rehearsal or new material introduced.
5. Homework for next class assigned.
Things to remember:
1. I can provide guitars if the student does not have, yet it recommended that he or she acquire one as soon as possible.
2. I have stereo, recording equipment and music writing software for those interested in composition;.
3. Music sheets and exercises can be provided either in print or digitally to the student.
4. Parents and relatives or friends are welcome to observe the class.
5. After 3-6 months if student practices expect astonishing results specially in beginner and intermediate levels (students will be able to play most popular songs and be introduced to soloing).
6. You get out of it what you put into it! Practice practice practice and before you know it you will be blowing people away with your skills!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living room: spacious, chairs, 5 guitars, amps, books, music stand, tuner, staff paper. Additional seating for parents.
University: practice room in music department, chairs, music stands, additional seating for parents.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide everything from books to guitars if the student does not have it, yet I urge that eventual they do acquire the necessary gear.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in the classical Spanish guitar. I also enjoy teaching students how to compose so they can tap into their inner creativity. I can teach any style of rock with the electric guitar and also acoustic guitar.
ACT, Algebra, Arithmetic, Basic Math, Biology, Elementary Math, English, ESL, Math, Music Theory, Phonics, Piano, Pre Algebra, Reading, SAT, Science, Test Prep, Trigonometry
I recently graduated from the University of Florida with an AA and will be transferring to FIU. I have had experience with students of all ages. I love spending time with students and helping them to learn new things. I am a very dependable and trustworthy person, and I love teaching students. The subjects I have experience in include writing, reading comprehension, math, (up to pre-calculus/trigonometry), life sciences, and social sciences, and history.
I also was a private tutor to college students assisting with research, paper planning, and proofreading as well as math up to trigonometry/pre-calculus, social studies, and biology. In addition I have taken classes in the UF teach program where I was able to create lesson plans for life science classes and teach them to students in 5th grade science, 7th grade life science, and 10th grade biology classes. I also volunteer as a computer aide for the library adult services, where I help people with computer basics, the Internet, and document creation. I have experience with Microsoft Office and Open Office.
ACT, ACT English, ACT Math, ACT Reading, ACT Science, ACT Test Prep, Algebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Exam Prep, AP Physics, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, College Admissions, Elementary Math, Energy and Earth Sciences, GED Test Prep, Geometry, Life Science, Math, MCAT, Physical and Earth Sciences, Physical Science, Physics, Pre Algebra, Pre Calculus, SAT, Science, Study Skills, Test Prep
I graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a Bachelor of Arts in Neuroscience. I am currently applying to medical school. During my college career I tutored students in Calculus and a variety of sciences. I also volunteered at a local elementary school teaching a 3rd grader mathematics. In high school, I was a member of the National Honor Society and earned an International Baccalaureate degree. In this program, I took the equivalents of AP Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus.
I believe firmly in learning the process of answering a question through manipulating equations and not by plugging in numbers (plug-and-chug method). My tutoring approach is line-by-line and visual because that is how I learn. I also encourage diagramming questions for chemistry and physics. These methods tend to be effective as most learners are visual.
"Steven is very professional and extremely helpful. He always has a smile on and is serious about helping you phrase the music. I would highly recommend him to anyone."
"It's been really exciting so far! Jordan has been so helpful, so knowledgeable. I could not have found a better instructor and I'm getting better and better every day."
"My daughter's wedding was weeks away and I had never been able to dance a step. With Jenny's help, I came further than ever before in such short time in any subject."