Last month we shared our recommendations for age-appropriate audition songs for teens, but if your aspiring star is a bit younger, we’ve got you covered too! In this article, voice teacher Molly R. shares her top picks for musical theater audition songs for kids…
There are so many opportunities for kids that love musical theater these days! The popularity of the “junior” editions of big Broadway shows is steadily increasing, for one. There are also several companies across the country that specialize in showcasing kids and only kids, as well as tons of musical theater summer camps.
Needless to say, it’s super exciting to be a young performer. However, one thing that remains tricky is finding suitable repertoire that is both age-appropriate as well as fun. Don’t worry — I’ve got you covered!
But First, a Few Things to Keep in Mind…
Many of these songs that I recommend are NOT from Broadway shows, but are definitely casting director-approved. Generally, there is more flexibility with kids’ repertoire as there aren’t as many roles for them. That means Disney movies, old standards, and novelty songs are some other styles will sometimes work just fine, unless the production team says otherwise.
Most of all, casting directors are looking for performers who can prepare good material and perform confidently, and often won’t be as specific in their audition requirements with kids as they are with adult actors.
While some of these songs in this list are meant to be sung by a specific gender, there are also several songs that work beautifully for either! So let’s dive in — here are 30 great musical theater audition songs for girls, audition songs for boys, and audition songs for kids in general.
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Girls
1. “I Always Knew” — Annie Warbucks
2. “Home” — Wonderland
3. “The Girl I Mean To Be” — The Secret Garden
4. “Born to Entertain” — Ruthless! The Musical
5. “Let Me Entertain You” — Gypsy
6. “Sayonara” — How to Eat Like a Child
7. “Reflection” — Mulan
8. “The World Above” — The Little Mermaid
9. “Gee, I’m Glad I’m Glad I’m No One Else But Me” — Anne of Green Gables
10. “On the Good Ship Lollipop” — Shirley Temple
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Boys
- “Red Ryder Carbine Action BB Gun” — A Christmas Story: The Musical
2. “A Round Shouldered Man” — The Secret Garden
3. “My Best Girl” — Mame
4. “Gary, Indiana” — The Music Man
5. “Different” — Honk!
6. “Getting Tall” — Nine
7. “Electricity” — Billy Elliott
8. “Little People” — Les Misérables
9. “The Bare Necessities” — The Jungle Book
10. “A Letter from Charlie Bucket” — Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the Musical
Musical Theater Audition Songs for Girls OR Boys
1. “When I Grow Up” — Matilda the Musical
2. “The Tree” — The Me Nobody Knows
3. “Who Will Buy?” — Oliver!
4. “Getting to Know You” — The King and I
5. “The Ugly Duckling” — Hans Christian Anderson
6. “Be Kind To Your Parents” — Fanny
7. “I Love to Laugh” — Mary Poppins
8. “Happiness” — You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown
9. “I Won’t Grow Up” — Peter Pan
10. “Put On a Happy Face” — Bye Bye Birdie
Final Tips for Aspiring Broadway Stars
Some of these songs are more complex than others, so it’s crucial that kids work closely with a voice teacher to prepare their chosen audition pieces. In addition to musical accuracy, your young actor will impress their panel if they really know what they are singing about— so it’s a good idea that they do their homework as far as researching the character and show, too!
Confidence is key, and a voice teacher can certainly help with that. TakeLessons does a wonderful job matching up kids with the perfect teacher, and it’s easy to find one who is either nearby, or teaches online.
Have fun exploring these fantastic audition songs for kids, and break a leg!