I am a highly-skilled professional musician certified as a certified Steinway education partner with over 14 years of teaching experience. I offer lessons in classical piano, violin, viola, conducting, arranging/orchestration as well as private tutoring in ear training and theory.
My main instrument is piano and I specialize in teaching students who already play the instrument and wish to get a more in-depth experience with piano literature by learning new repertoire and developing their technique. I also teach adult beginners and young beginners whose parents have a dedicated commitment to having their children make music an integral part of their education. For all my students, I emphasize the importance of practicing efficiently and developing critical listening skills. This encourages consistent improvement and whatever your personal piano goals and skill levels are, I will help you improve and enjoy playing the piano more. I am very patient, encouraging and supportive of your desire to play the piano better. In addition to piano, I teach beginner and intermediate violin and viola students.
I encourage all my students to perform once or twice a year but this is entirely optional and based on the student's comfort level.
I am available and willing to travel to your home for an extra fee as long as public transportation is available.
Conducted several performances of the Nutcracker.
New York-based orchestra featuring and promoting New York-based soloists and composers. Orchestra members comprised of young professional freelancers.
Conductor of the CCNY Symphony Orchestra. Instructor of Conducting, Instrumentation/Arranging, and Piano.
Conducted the Bi-College Orchestra (Haverford & Bryn Mawr) and coached chamber music along with individual private instruction on the side.
Conducted weekly rehearsals consisting of regional musicians and advanced students from the college preparatory boarding school. Performed two to three concert programs per season.
Summer program held at Long Island University, NY. Conductor of the seminar chamber orchestra and large ensembles, chamber music coach.
Conductor of the Carnegie Hill orchestra. Performed two concerts a year and several educational assembly concerts which introduce music to young people.
Summer program held at Bryn Mawr College, PA. Conductor of the student orchestras and chorus, ear training teacher and chamber music coach.
The Steinway Educational Partnership Program has been specifically designed for piano instructors in an effort to develop and enhance our relationships, as well as to further support piano instruction and music education.
The Conductors Guild is a non-union organization intended for professional conductors based in the USA. The Guild offers services to enhance the training and development of conductors and promises to represent the views of conductors to the larger community of music professionals.
· Violin · In home I'm so glad I ended up with Yoon Jae for my very first violin lesson. He took me through the first steps - as basic as holding the violin - really carefully and not at all condescendingly, even though I'm an adult who never even learned to read music. In fact, he couldn't have been more patient. I'd definitely recommend him to anyone who wants to learn violin in a supportive atmosphere!
· Piano · In home Yoon is engaging, motivating, kind and easy to work with. I'm an adult beginner and am enjoying the process of learning to read music, playing the instrument and gaining a greater appreciation for music generally. Highly recommend.
· Piano · In home Very patient and genuinely helpful
· Classical Piano · Online Mr. Jae has a serious approach to his teaching style. He stresses doing little things well that will make you a better player.
· Arrangement and Composition · Online I am learning musical arrangement and composition and I feel very lucky to have found Yoon Jae Lee. During the first lesson I had with him, he said one simple thing that forever changed the way I view how I write music. I like the way he listens carefully and uses his knowledge and understanding of music to point me in whatever direction I need to go. He is thoughtful and respectful of my goals and musical ambitions, helping me to achieve what I am aiming for without inserting himself into my creative process. In addition, he is very patient. I can't imagine a better teacher for me.
· Violin · In home Yoon Jae is patient and creative teacher. Even when I can't understand the material, or am not performing my highest capacity, he patiently teaches me. He never moves too quickly or get angry. He is also creative. Anyone can stand and review a material, but he can explain it in a way that I can easily understand and remember.
· Violin · In studio Yoon Jae Lee is a very caring music teacher.He really wants you to learn.His passion for teaching is clearly evident in how involved he is with his students going beyond the call of duty to help to develope the proper technique in playing and imparting thorough music knowledge especially as related to the instrument being taught. Certainly qalities that you look for in an excellent teacher.
· Piano · In studio Mr. Jae has been an amazing piano teacher for my son Jonathan who has special needs. His unlimited patience and discipline has proven to be best medicine for Jonathan and his love for music.
· Ear Training · In studio Mr. Lee is very nice teacher, he is professional and patient. I am taking his ear training and sight singing lessons. I think what Mr. Lee teaches me is very helpful. I feel so happy and so lucky to learn music with Mr. Lee.
· Piano · In studio Was really great!! He understood from the beginning what I want ;-)