Music is my life! I graduated at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, NC and received my Bachelor's Degree in Music Education with a Concentration in Voice (2005). I have been involved in musical productions as early as my middle school years. Some of the many musicals I have participated include Anything Goes 1999, lead role: Reno Sweeney, Grease 2000, role: Rizzo, Waitress Lead: Jen (1997). During my college years I participated in Operas, and Operettas such as: Orpheus and the Underworld (production won first place at the National Opera Association Opera Production Competition), Amahl and the Night Visitors, The Magic Flute, Pirates of Penzance, Cavalleria Rusticana. I became a member of Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity, Music Educators of North Carolina (MENC), American Choral Directors Association (ACDA), and the North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE).
Over the past six years I have privately instructed over fifty students, many of which have been accepted to prestigious camps and ensembles such as:
- NC Honors Chorus
- Winston-Salem School of the Arts NC
- Syracuse Music Theater Summer Camp, NY
- Summer Theatre Institute at the Julliard School, NY
- US School of Performing Arts, Washington DC
- US School of Performing Arts, New York NY
- Northwestern University National High School Institute Theatre Arts Division IL
With my experience, attention to detail, and ability to bring out the best in each student; I know I can help you achieve your musical goals.
*** Lesson Details ***
I believe that every students has more potential then they realize. My goal is to help bring out their potential while providing a professional, personal, and enjoyable experience. I give my best and I expect my students to do the same.
My background is in classical music and this provides a solid foundation to successfully transition into all genres of music. During a standard lesson, I will begin with vocal warm-ups, sight reading and ear training exercises. The bulk of the lesson will consist of teaching them to sing correctly, melodic expressions, and performance showmanship. 90% of singing is feeling and 10% is technique...meaning you have to feel how things are done with your body correctly to understand and continue to model the correct and safe way to sing any style of music. I finish every lesson with constructive criticism, positive reinforcement, and a quick summary of how to prepare at home for the next lesson.
My teaching philosophy is that a great teacher is measure by the success of their students. I understand that each student learns differently, therefore, I always adjust my teaching style to meet the needs of the individual students.
Yajaira is a Certified
Music Teacher in 75070
*** Studio Equipment ***
The In-Studio lessons are taught in the music study room. The room is semi-acoustical with an 88 semi-weighted keyboard. Seating is available. No pets. Parking on the side of the house or driveway!
*** Travel Equipment ***
I have all types of vocal music books. I prefer that the student provide a piano or keyboard but I own a keyboard and I am willing to bring it if the students do not have one.
*** Specialties ***
My methods of teaching is classical training for all students. This allows my students to be well rounded in all types of genres: from classical, contemporary, to broadway music.
Bachelor Degree graduated at 2005.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
The National Education Association (NEA), the nation's largest professional employee organization, is committed to advancing the cause of public education. NEA's 3 million members work at every level of education—from pre-school to university graduate programs. NEA has affiliate organizations in every state and in more than 14,000 communities across the United States.
· Singing · In studio Yajaira is an awesome instructor and I would recommend her to other students. She has a real passion for it and she is just the best.
· Singing · In home Sorry not really a review but is there anyway i can contact you. Just have a few questions. Thanks
· Singing · In studio In just the few lessons I've already had with Yajaira, I am already so much more confident with my voice and being able to project it. I love the way she teaches and how she starts out with the basics like breathing, but still finds a way to make it fun and encourage you! I would have never been able to learn as much from any choir instructor I've ever had! :)
· Singing · In studio Yajaira is an amazing teacher who takes the time to understand and identify with her students. Her ability to vary her teaching techniques based upon the changing needs and ability of her students is far beyond what I would have expected in a coach. As a beginner at 33, I was really concerned about being able to learn what most learn as children, but Yajaira began with the basics; breathing, control, all sorts of things I never associated with signing. Yajaira's enthusiastic, and encouraging attitude has helped and driven me to meet and by far exceed all of my expectations,
Yajaira has been my vocal coach for over a year, and I wouldn't trade the experience. I've learned so much in that time, and couldn't imagine going to another coach.
· Singing · Wonderful
Yajaira is very passionate about music and does an excellent job of imparting that on her students. Basics are always the basis of her instruction, and rightfully so. Also the joyfulness of what music is and can be... something that makes her instruction both a bit intuitive and sometimes non-conforming.
I'd recommend her as a Vocalist coach based on that and her enthusiasm for teaching.