*** SCHEDULE ***
My availability calendar reflects a general idea of times/days I'm usually free for lessons. Due to work and other obligations, my schedule does change regularly and requires flexibility each week. Please feel free to email me with questions if you have any concerns regarding scheduling.
*** Bit About Me ***
I am a classically trained pianist who competed in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for 15 years (began lessons at age 5). I was trained to perform and compete, playing songs that were required by competition guidelines. I participated in everything: Jazz, Sonatina, State, Solo, Ensemble, Regional, Hymn, you name it!
*** What you can expect from me ***
Whether your goal is to learn scales by the end of the month, figure out where middle C is, or become a classical genius by the end of the year; we can make it happen. I do not expect you to learn the way I was taught (although if you want a strict regimen, I can provide that). I am a big believer in motivating you in the way that helps YOU succeed. I promise I am patient, pleasant and genuinely enjoy teaching. I will work hard to help you achieve your goals in a way that best fits your needs.
*** What I expect from you ***
I expect my students to practice; it is a crucial requirement for progress. Piano will require your time, energy and self discipline. Please respect my schedule; if you need to cancel, do so in the appropriate time frame. Most importantly, I want you to communicate honestly with me about your goals and if you want to readjust the "lesson plan," tell me. I am here to help you learn.
*** Equipment & Studio ***
I own a 1942 Kimball Consolette piano. She's old but she has soul. I have a variety of sheet music I can share. Please bring your workbooks/sheet music to every lesson. I have pencils (we mark in our music!) and a metronome. It is useful to download a metronome app on your phone for practice at home. I teach in a loft style condo with floor to ceiling windows. I do not have a private, designated seating area for parents but there is a lobby for anyone who needs to wait during a lesson time.
Instruct beginner to advanced music performance skills; develop appropriate curriculum based on pupil interest and skill level.
Managed and updated financial spreadsheets, presentations materials and website. Communicated with prospective clients via email, phone and written correspondence; provided confidential investment information upon request. Ensured proper handling of client data in compliance with Federal regulations. Processed payroll, receivables and payables, stocked all office supplies and managed inventory. Conducted and managed employee hiring process including resume review, interviews and placement training.
· Piano · In studio First lesson so far, so good. Learned some good techniques
· Piano · In studio Whitney is fantastic! I look forward to my lesson with her every week. She is patient and quick to adapt her teaching style to what fits you best. I would recommend her to any level piano player!
· Piano · In studio Fun!
· Piano · In studio Whitney is a-mazing! She has a great ability to assess individuals' skill levels, strengths and weaknesses, and provides meaningful feedback and suggestions on how to improve. Whitney is super patient, very positive, encouraging, and thoughtful about her instruction and guidance. She's a joy to work with and I highly recommend her!
· Piano · In studio First class was great
· Piano · In studio Whitney is always so encouraging and affirming! She is truly an effective teacher and each lesson is enjoyable.
· Piano · In studio I had Whitney as a teacher for only about 6 months and I would have easily stayed her student if I was not planning on moving out of state in the very near future. Throughout my short time as her pupil, I came to know what all the reviews written before have stated. She is a very kind and patient person who is nothing but encouraging and understands that everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses/likes and dislikes and will help cater the lessons to your personal preferences.
What I will add from my own experience is that she is very human in her manner of speaking and never feels like she is going through the motions when explaining something even though she has probably explained it a hundred times before. Also, she has a bit of a sarcastic sense of humor which is a plus in my books. Choosing her as your teacher will not be a mistake and you will get what you want out of it.
On a side note she has a pretty cat. So, that's cool.
· Piano · In studio Whitney's lesson was perfect for me to get started. She was patient to learn about my background and interest and then presented the information in an easy to understand manner. I'm very pleased with my choice to begin lessons with Whitney.
· Piano · In studio I have been taking lessons with Whitney for 18 months and I have make steady progess - she provides inspiration to expand my skills - I am now reading music and playing is a joy! During each lesson the student plays to show progress - Whitney immediately provides suggestions for improvement while giving positive feedback - this interaction keeps me motivated to maintain a regular practice schedule.
Her location and hours are convenient for my schedule and she is fleible when schedule changes are needed.
I wouldn't have make progress with her excellent instruction!
· Piano · In studio Favorite music teacher.
I grew up playing the piano since age 3, fell out of love with the practice 10 years ago. One reason I stopped was the rigid unfocused direction I'd get from most teachers but Whitney's lessons are adaptive and help me increase my skill steadily and happily. Sometimes after lessons, we get into discussions about practice strategy, music theory, and she's always been open-minded towards all the different pieces I'd bring in to try. I especially appreciate that she's quick to catch and correct my mechanical flaws in a focused manner with the drills she'd pick out. Since practicing with Whitney, I've been able to work towards my previous level at the pace I prefer and recommend any students who'd enjoy more of an intuitive teacher.