Teaching Chinese since 2004 to a wide range of students from the age of 5 to over 60. Some of the students have followed for many years.
Worked as an editor for publishing companies in China and Hong Kong, prior to becoming a full time Chinese teacher.
The purpose of the lessons are to teach Mandarin Chinese speaking, reading, writing, and cultural understanding,
The lessons begin with simple pronunciations, then work their way up to conversations and Chinese characters before taking on advanced grammar and understanding sentence structures.
There are a variety of different textbooks for students to choose to match the learning style and focus of each student.
Editor. 1989-1992. China, and Hong Kong.
Editor. 1992-1996. Houston Texas.
Have been teaching private Chinese lessons since 2004.
· Chinese · In home Mrs. Vivian has been my Chinese teacher since I was about 6 years old. I was living in China, and when I moved to Houston my parents wanted me to continue with my Chinese. I have known Mrs. Vivian for 12 years, and she has expanded my Chinese knowledge in vocabulary, grammar, writing, reading and culture. She was always extremely accommodating to my busy schedules throughout the years, and she is now a very good family friend. I only recently stopped taking lessons because I started college, but I would have continued had I stayed at home. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher.
· Chinese · In home We had been living in China from 2002 to 2004 and although we were living in an English speaking ex-pat community, our then 4/5 year old was able to pick up Chinese in such a way that we felt it to be a waste if she would lose it all when we moved back to Houston. We found Ms Vivian via a neighborhood paper and she had been her teacher all these years until recently when our daughter had to sign off for going to college.
I can only give praise to Ms Vivian who has been an outstanding and highly involved teacher to our daughter. We felt at the time that our daughter only needed to practice her speaking and listening skills, but Ms Vivian insisted on reading and writing, and now - in hindsight - we are so happy with that. Our daughter has the skill set to understand Chinese and speak it, but she also can find her way into the mysterious world of the Chinese characters, and hopefully one day it will come to use to her in this ever changing global community.
Seldom will one find a teacher so dedicated to and so invested in her student(s) while sharing her in-depth knowledge of Chinese Culture and Language. If ever you should need a teacher, make sure you give Ms Vivian a call. We can attest to her talents, knowledge and dedication, having been my daughter's Chinese teacher for as long as 12 years.
· Chinese · In home Vivian has taught Chinese to my 3 children since they were each 4 years old. Now they are 8, 12, and 14. She's extremely patient and thorough. Vivian is always on time and takes lots of extra time to ensure the kids understand. Now, my oldest two are actually attending a middle school in China and are at the top of their international class--thanks to Vivian and her hard work! I highly recommend her to anyone wanting to learn Chinese.
· Chinese · In studio Vivian is a great teacher. She is patient and explains things in a way I can understand. With her I got to practice reading, writing, speaking, and listening in a way that always felt very natural. She has good teaching material and also accommodated me by using my existing Chinese textbook from college. I especially liked listening to her talk about and explain Chinese culture, and tie it together with what we were studying. It really made the class really fun, interesting, and it made me appreciate how connected Chinese language is to the world around me.
· Chinese · In studio Vivian was a great teacher and I felt I was very fortunate to have her as my Chinese teacher. She taught on based very good textbooks and many extras, and had gone the extra miles to talk with me about China and Chinese culture. She was patient and proficient. It was too bad that I was only able to take lessons from her for only a bit more than a year due to my schedule changes. But I feel happy that I am able to make some simple conversations with some of my Chinese clients and they are so amazed! I plan to come back in near future to take more lessons when my time permits.