- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am Vasiliy M, Boston University School of Music Alumnus (DMA in Composition). We dwell in Boston since Fall 2002; before that time , we lived in New York, where I studied Composition at Mannes College, The New School For Music. I received both BM, and MM degrees from Mannes in 1999, and 2001, respectively. Before an arrival to US, in 1994, I studied Jazz Performance, Electric Bass Major, and Classical Composition, at Moldova State Conservatory, from 1988 to 1993, respectively.
I was raised in the family, where music is an essential part of its daily life; my father, Grigoriy, before his retirement, was a military band trombone player, and, quite naturally, I was exposed to music, and encouraged by my parents to learn playing an instrument of my choice, from my early childhood.
My mother, Anisia Kondrat'ievna, possesses both beautiful vocal abilities and perfect pitch , although she has never had a chance to develop her natural gifts any further. But I have heard my mother singing, and these moments remain one of the most touching and impressive musical experiences, that I have ever received, and remember to this very day.
Only after a considerable life experiences, abound of trials and mistakes, at the age of twenty five, I have come to a clear realization, that music remains my greatest passion, and that I would have to become a professional musician. With help and support of friends and colleagues, I have entered Community College in Soroki city, Moldova Republic, where I have studied Choral Conducting for Amateurs. I have graduated from school in May of 1988, having written a few instrumental and vocal compositions of my own, and, quite unexpectedly for myself, was invited, that summer, to visit Moldova State Conservatory, with the prospect of audition for the Composition Major. After the meeting with the Chair of the Department, I was offered an opportunity to be accepted to the Master Degree Program in Composition, provided I will have completed two years of preliminary studies of Music Theory, Music Harmony/Voice Leading, and many other related disciplines.
Why do I bring all of these facts to this Essay? I know for the fact now, that I was not ready for what was awaiting ahead of me, back then. There was no way, that I could cope with the demands of Composition Program curriculum. But I have had love for music, that my parents have implemented in me throughout my childhood; I have had natural abilities, that Heavens supplied me with: and I have had a chance to make my dream a reality, providing I do everything that I will have to, during the following years of struggles and study.
The decision was made, and my studies have begun. I have come through every mistake, defeat, and mind-barriers imaginable, and if it would not be a continuous stream of professional help and support, that I have received from my numerous teachers, mentors, and professors, along the years of study, my goals could never be attained to any modest, but real degree.
Whenever I have a chance to teach, tutor, or assist other musicians with their study, my past experience always reminds me, that any person may experience some difficulties of various nature with the learning material, from time to time, and that those difficulties should be addressed by student's teacher with the highly individual approach, however time-and effort-consuming it may be. Patience and respect, in regard to the students, have become as important aspects of teaching to me, as those of discipline and professionalism.
My studies have come to an end; I see now, that the world of music is an endless entity, for it has no boundaries, and we all have to maintain our further progress, in order to move to our chosen destinations, and to help others with their own advancements.
*** Lesson Details ***
I would be more than willing to assist my prospective students with their various musical endeavors, and people's willingness to either play music instruments,take voice lessons, or to study Music Theory/ Musicianship disciplines will serve us as a starting point for our work. Through the diligent preliminary talk we will discuss various aspects of interest that my students have developed in relation to music, so we could plan and design our future lessons according to an initial discussion. My job and responsibility will be to make an intelligent assessment of my students' natural abilities for the given subject of study, to create vigorous learning atmosphere during our meetings, and to give my students professional instructions to the best of my humble abilities, for the benefits of their musical , aesthetic, and personal development. I will encourage my students to learn as much as they can, at the given moment, but I will not ever attempt to exceed people's natural capabilities. Participation in Music with love and fun should be as rewarding and valuable to the music amateur, as professional performing career ( with its highly demanding standards) stands for classically trained musicians. During our study sessions, we will work upon the goals and tasks that we have discussed at the beginning of our meetings. My ultimate goal as a teacher was and will always be to help my students discover and bring forward their best creative potentials through the intensive musical studies and practice, and, at the same time, to favor heir initial interest's transformation into a deep, serious passion.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Living Room, Italian keyboard Real Piano PRO 2
*** Travel Equipment ***
Honda Insight 2011
*** Specialties ***
As a Bass - player, I have been performing in Big-Band Orchestras, Jazz Sextets, Quartets, Trios, Duos.
I was also a Progressive-Rock Band Bass-Player.
John Pretlor Band, (R&B style, Soft Jazz) hired me, as a Bass Player, before I went to Mannes College, to study Composition.
Music Theory - wise, I have taught Fundamentals of Music, Elementary Music, Music Theory I, II, Keyboard Harmony, Music Analysis, Post-Tonal Theory.
Weekly class instruction, grading, tutoring, conducting tests, midterms, and final exams Assisted Courses: Music Theory I, II, IV (MUS 121, MUS 122, MUS 224) Aural Skills I, II, IV (MUS 216, 218)
Weekly private instruction, tutoring, grading Subjects taught: General Piano for beginners, Voice lessons, Fundamentals of Music, Music Theory
Classroom instruction, tutoring, grading, assigning homework for Longy School of Music Preparatory Division students Subjects taught: Techniques of Music, Harmony and Voice Leading , Music Theory Levels II,IV, Aural Skills
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Piano · In studio Great teacher!
· Piano · In home This was our first time meeting Vasiliy and first lesson for my son. My son took to Vasiliy right away. The lesson went well and we are excited for future lessons. We highly recommend Vasiliy.
· Music Theory · In home Vasily is a knowledgable and patient teacher and a creative artist.
· Piano · In studio My son, Siddarth has been learning Mr.Vasily for about 2 and half years now and I can tell that Mr.Vasily is a great teacher. He's dedicated and expresses a lot of patience when my son forgets or misses his notes. Mr.Vasily also encourages Siddarth to excel by being constructive and not in a negative way, which both my husband and I really appreciate. To excel in anything, it's important to have a good teacher, and we are very happy that our son's learning from one such teacher!
· Piano · In home Vasiliy has been working with my 7 year old for around six months now. He is a very patient and loving teacher with a strong work ethic. He takes effort to build the foundations of piano, both theory and practice. We have been very pleased with his guidance.
· Piano · In home Vasily is a wonderful teacher. He is kind, patient, and relates very well to our shy daughter. He is teaching her to "know" the piano, in a delightful and disciplined way, and of course he is teaching her to play. Juniper leaves every session feeling accomplished and happy! We are very happy to have started lessons with him.
· Singing · In home Vasily is a superb teacher, extremely knowledgeable, and a joy to work with.
· Piano · In home We have come to know Vasiliy as a very knowledgeable, patient, and dedicated teacher. My daughter was only 5 when she had her first piano lessons, and I was interested, most of all, in understanding whether her interest in music and the piano in a common room in our building was mature enough to begin music lessons - or not. Vasiliy gave me a very knowledgeable assessment of my daughter's readiness to begin studying music, and then went on to give her piano lessons that were right for her level and age. He definitely developed my daughter's eagerness to learn more, and left her looking forward very much to her weekly piano class. We can wholeheartedly recommend Vasily.
· Piano · In studio My son loves Vasily. He is great, clear, patient, precise, knowledgeable, and have great life stories. I recommend him 100 percent.
· Singing · In home Very good!