I have been playing the drum set in various bands since 2001. I have also been playing with the OKC Community Orchestra since 2009. I have played in symphonic and jazz bands and a percussion ensemble. I have taught a percussion class, private lessons, and I have been a full time music teacher in the OKC district. I have recorded in the studio also, and I enjoy doing a bit of my own production. Rocking on stage is my favorite activity! I can teach you how to be an integral part of a band and play along to your favorites. I enjoy bringing out the best in a student and teaching to his/her strengths. Let's run!
*** Lesson Details ***
I am a very easygoing and patient teacher. I fully understand that the drum set requires a high level of coordination, and I am mindful of this while working with students. I will begin with proper grip and stroke technique as well as the use of a metronome. I will teach the student to read rhythms and drum set notation. I know how to isolate difficult patterns, break them down into understandable parts, and reintegrate them into a piece. I like to use the music that a student enjoys to relate to the written music. I have found YouTube to be an indispensable tool for this, and my students have responded very well. I will work on snare drum technique as well, because it is the primary voice on the set, and the touch and nuance required to play it well relate to the set as well. I will tailor my instruction to suit the student's learning style and preferences. I want to make the learning fun, so I will help the student quickly gain the basic skills to play along with their favorite bands. This promotes musicality as well as solid time. It will also aid in transcription, which will come with development and is a valuable tool. I will use this in tandem with technique-building exercises to form a well rounded musician. I believe that a student should have a familiarity with his/her instrument, so we will also go over the anatomy and tuning of the set. Above all, music should be fun!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Music room w/ drum set, hand drums, and seating for parents
*** Travel Equipment ***
I have a practice pad, snare drum, and sticks. If a student wishes to have drum set lessons in his/her home, that instrument should be there.
**Please note** I do have a drum set in my home.
*** Specialties ***
For the drum set, I am the most experienced in rock, country, and bluegrass styles. I am comfortable with both Stevens and Burton grips for mallet instruments.
1. *** See my article on drum set tips! ***
2. ***See my article about the benefits of learning drums as an adult.***
3. *** See my article on Efficient Practice Methods. ***
4. *** See my article on Coordination Exercises. ***
5. *** See my article on Snare Drum Basics. ***
6. *** See my Gear Guide article on drum sticks. ***
7. *** See my Gear Guide article on Drum Sets. ***
8. *** See my Gear Guide article on cymbals. ***
9. ***See my article about different grips.***
10. **See my article about drum apps. ***
11. **See my article about drum thrones. ***
12. **See my article about nailing performances.**
13. ***See my article about rudiments.***
14. ***See my article about tuning your drums.***
15. ***See my article about reading drum charts/tabs.***
16. ***See my article about different types of sticks/effects.***
17. ***See my article about Bass Drum Technique.***
18. ***See my article on Snare Drum Technique.***
19. ***See my article on Fills.***
20.*** See my article on Different Drum Types.***
Recording Credits: "The Mary Rose" and "Normandie" from the album, Demos and Premiers, by Callen Clarke and Kyle Dillingham
Alpha Beta Gamma is an International Business Honor Society established by business professors in 1970 to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year business and professional college students. The society is a member of The Association of College Honor Societies and has initiated 65,500 members.
The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
· Piano · In studio Tracy was very welcoming and patient! She asked music my son liked to increase interest and took the lesson from there!
· Drum · In studio She is the best!
· Drum · In studio She is the best!
· Drum · Online Very patient with my daughter and excellent teacher we are so happy to have found her.
· Drum · In home So much fun, very patient! Definitely looking forward to the rest of my lessons!
· Drum · In home had a great time, looking forward to more lessons!
· Percussion · Online Off to a great start!
· Drum · In home Very good with my son. He opened up more to her during the first lesson than in 3 months with his previous instructor.
· Drum · In home She is thorough and patient! She was able to teach my son to actually read music, not just play it. Recommend!
· Drum · In studio My son is 7 years old and had his first drum lesson today. I have personally searched long and hard to look for a drum teacher that is great with children. While my son felt challenged by learning something new, Tracy made is extremely easy.