(I recommend 45 minute lessons for all my students. If you have questions about lesson duration please ask!)
I began playing bagpipes at St. John's Northwestern Military Academy in Wisconsin. My initial tutor was Mr. Ron "Ringo" Bowen, owner of The Bagpipe Place and teacher at my school at that time. I've played onstage with the world famous Chieftains on multiple occasions. I have also played with the celtic band Gaelic Storm onstage on 5 separate occasions over several albums. I am on of the handful bagpipers in the US who have gone to Scotland to compete in the World Pipe Band Championships on multiple occasions. The band I played with got 2nd in the world in Grade 2. That year the band placed first in 8 of 11 competitions. They've since been promoted to the premier level, Grade 1. I have spent the summer playing with the band competing at competitions all over the UK including The World Championships at the top level in grade 1. I take tuition from world renowned piper and Gold Medalist Stuart Liddell and have won many solo piping competitions and awards including Champion Supreme.
This Academy was created to teach youth and adults of Chicago how to play pipes and drums. Bringing some of the best pipers and teachers around Chicago to teach the next generation of pipers and drummers.
I was brought on board by Massanutten Military Academy to help create a pipe band from the ground up. Working with my old teacher from St. John's, we were able to get a group of 12 kids on bagpipes and drums before I left to return home due to family illnesses.
· Bagpipes · Online Hi Tony....my first lesson over and I feel much more confidant ....look forward to the next one....thanks, steve kelly
· Bagpipes · Online Tony is easy going, extremely knowledgeable, clear with his instruction and patient. His demeanor immediately put me art ease and I was able to just relax and learn. I accomplished more with Tony this first lesson than I ever could have hoped. I am looking forward to the next lesson!
· Bagpipes · Online My son is so excited and inspired. Super fun!
· Bagpipes · Online He is great for exactly what I need.
· Bagpipes · Online Tony is a great instructor to our daughter. The progress has been excellent
· Bagpipes · Online My 11yo daughter has been taking bagpipe lessons with Tony for about a year now. They meet weekly for 45 minutes. We have seen amazing growth in her experience and confidence over the past year! She loves her bagpipe lessons and is extremely fond of Tony!! She is a shy kid but he's really helped to bring her out of her shell and they have a great repertoire. He is serious when needed and will hold her accountable for practicing but also keeps the lessons really light hearted and fun :) We are so grateful to have found such a great teacher for Isobel and look forward to many continued lessons with such a fantastic, seasoned coach and mentor. Thanks Tony!
· Bagpipes · Online Jessica has lots of fun during the lessons. She can be a bit lazy when it comes to practice but overall she is enjoying her time
· Bagpipes · Online Good instruction and positive tone.
· Bagpipes · Online Tony is an exceptional instructor. I have noticed drastic improvement with my beginner level playing and attribute a great deal of it to Tony's demeanor and patience. His ability to explain techniques in different ways in an attempt to find the method that I can understand is unprecedented. I will be continuing my lessons with Tony as soon as my schedule allows.
· Bagpipes · Online Very knowledgeable and flexible. Works very well with my 12 yr old son.