- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I've performed and taught in a wide variety of settings. My early professional experiences have included 3 years in the Army Band, several cruise line contracts, and freelance work as a performer and composer. Through these times, I've learned to excel in many styles. I recently graduated from NYU, where I was an adjunct faculty member. Here, I also performed and worked with a wonderful faculty including Kenny Werner, Brian Lynch, Chris Potter, Ralph Alessi, Tony Moreno, and trumpet guru Laurie Frink, who all inspire me as a musician and a teacher. While in New York, I was a faculty member at Douglaston School of Music and Art, where I worked with younger students .
It is my belief that discipline and technique are necessary elements that allow emotion and creativity to thrive. I also recommend a healthy dose of listening to what you love. Through this process, I strive to inspire my students, fellow musicians, and listeners.
*** Lesson Details ***
I will guide you to your goals. I write my own materials for each student's individual goals. If you want to learn a song and I don't know it, I will learn the song with you, sharing the process. After several months of study, you will have an understanding of not only what to practice, but how and why to practice.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Music room w/piano, trumpet, and seating for parents
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide music, accessories (tuner, metronome, portable speakers), and books. I can bring an extra trumpet for beginners.
*** Specialties ***
Trumpet- Caruso Method, breathing exercises, and other mechanics depending on student level.
Piano- Jazz standards, voicings, and improvisation
I learned to keep latrines a safe distance from water sources.
· Bugle · Online Thomas is very patient and positive. I have advanced a lot in a short time under his guidance.
· Trumpet · In studio Thomas is a kind and patient teacher for our son. This is our first experience with music lessons with our child, and so far we are very pleased with the experience. We look forward to learning and growing with Thomas as our instructor.
· Trumpet · In studio Tom is very patient and encouraging with my daughter. We have found him to be a great teacher.
· Trumpet · In studio I've had many teachers in the past who only taught me how to perform well with the emphasis on technicality and repeptition; however, Tom created space for me to appreciate each and every bar rather than focusing on finishing a song. As a student who has become well-adjusted to structure, I learned the beauty of improvisation informed by theory through Tom. He is attentive, passionate, and always makes sure I got the concept he's teaching. He has a rare gift of creating such an intimate, peaceful environment where I can feel at ease and really thrive in playing music. It was in these calm moments my passion for jazz sparked more and more. I'm truly thankful to have had Tom as my mentor/teacher.
-JL, student at NYU. May 2012