Hello, my name is Tali. I've been teaching a variety of academic-related subjects since 2010. As someone who is still a student, I am immersed almost daily in the subjects that I tutor and can offer the best, most-up-to-date instruction. What's more, I am young, energetic, and flexible with my time.
Early on, my love of learning propelled me to become actively involved in many tutoring, teaching, and mentoring opportunities. I wanted to take my own excitement and passion for school and share that with other people, who I recognized often saw school as a "Âboring, waste of time." As a freshman in high school, I began tutoring at an After-School Tutoring Program through Lutheran Church of Good Shepherd. Finding my experience rewarding, I have continued as a volunteer tutor at the Lutheran Church of Good Shepherd throughout all four years of high school. Throughout my tutoring experience, I have learned the power of kindness, patience, and consistency when helping someone achieve success in their endeavors.
Since then, I have worked with numerous students in elementary, middle, high school, and college in both group settings and one-on-one. I aim to motivate my students by giving them a solid grasp on core concepts and creating engaging activities. I place a strong emphasis on developing study skills while the student learns the academic subject (Thinking along the lines of the old Chinese proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.")
These vary greatly by student and can be customized to a students needs. I can help students understand homework or I can focus on teaching a particular concept.
During my junior year in high school, I designed an SAT curriculum to raise my first score. In doing so, I raised my score 200 points from a solid 1980 to 2180. Since then, I have taught an intensive SAT prep class to multiple students and achieved similar score-increasing results.
View some of my articles for the TakeLesson.com Blog:
Thurston Talk is an online news site, featuring a team of professional writers who work to bring news and information to the community. With so many great writers, there is a competitive monthly article idea submission process. Over the past year, I have been writing 1-3 articles per month. Published articles cover student spotlights, local businesses, and community events.
Delivered multiple 45-minute “Face Reading in Sales” presentation to professional clients, including the Association of Washington Business sales team, First Citizens Bank, Tumwater Chamber of Commerce, and Hawks Prairie Rotary Club.
Throughout all four years of high school, I spent 1.5 hours a week tutoring and mentoring middle school students.
Participated in weekly journalism workshops, published 1-2 articles/week, created visual media, co-editor, and implemented distribution. Published articles include: gun policy and school security, healthcare policy, education policy, and an interview with Secretary of State Kim Wyman.
· Piano · In studio I've been a student with the piano for 3 months, and I am so appreciative of Tali's scope of expertise, and patience with me. I am at this location for a short time, and will have learned piano before I leave. I highly recommend her to anyone!
· Piano · In home I haven't played piano since I was a kid and within the first month of lessons I was playing 3 songs. She has great patience and good teaching skills. I highly recommend as a tutor.
· Algebra · I've had many math tutors but Tali was definitely my favorite. My tests scores were much better once we started. She's really easy to talk to and she's flexible for what times you need to study
· SAT · In studio Tali really helps you understand what the SAT is going to be like if it's your first time taking the test. She leads you through the college board guide book while also using outside texts to help with the writing portion. She'll definitely help you get a good score!
· SAT · Online Very rarely have I ever met someone with such in-depth knowledge of the subjects he/she teaches. I received tutoring from Tali on the SAT; and from the get-go, I was profoundly impressed. Not only has she mastered the strategy behind the SAT and its corresponding subjects, but the level of understanding she displayed far surpassed that exhibited by many of my high school teachers.
One of the things which surprised me most was the amount of preparation Tali put into each lesson. As I worked through a multitude of different SAT questions, Tali was ready with the correct answer as well as an explanation carefully crafted to fit my personal level of understanding. She helped me identify my strengths and weaknesses and instructed me in the areas I struggled most.
Tali’s natural gift at teaching as well as her friendly and outgoing personality made for enjoyable lessons which I would recommend to anyone else interested in using her. She does assign homework at times; however, (before you exit out keep reading) it is an essential part of enhancing the learning process and guarantees there is work to discuss and correct at one’s next lesson (which ensures a complete understanding of the subject matter). I will definitely be using her in the future for any additional tutoring I book on this site.
· Basic Math · In home To whom it may concern:
I hired Tali as a math tutor for my 6th grade daughter in the fall of 2013. Tali immediately took the initiative to connect with my daughter’s math teacher to learn the concepts they would be focusing on in the fall. Tali worked weekly with my daughter introducing and reviewing math concepts, helping with homework, and addressing problem areas where my daughter was confused.
Tali was consistently positive and took a problem-solving approach. She worked with my daughter through the end of March 2014. As a result of 6 months of focused attention, my daughter performed much better on math assessments and became a much more confident math thinker, to the point where math is not a stumbling block for her.
I would recommend Tali as a tutor to other middle school students because of her initiative, consistency, and positive attitude. She also demonstrated warmth and mentoring quality that was invaluable. Please feel free to contact me if you would like further information.
Rene Toolson Doran