About Sylivan T.
My name is Sylivan. I'm a dedicated musician who is passionate in music education and guitar music. I have majored in Music and received my professional training at City College of New York with a minor in Education. I have been playing music for 20 years and have performed in many different occasions. Over the years, I have developed various kinds of skills in music from my education, formal training and experiences:
- Learned various types of music for over 10 years such as classical, rock, and pop
- Avid guitarist and also proficient in bass, drums, piano, and vocal
- Solid foundation of theory and harmony
- Worked as music and guitar instructor for private music lesson and other organizations such as summer camps and private music institutes.
I have also been teaching children and teenagers music for over 10 years, including group classes and private lessons. Below are some of the goals in my teaching method and what students can benefit in every lesson:
- Explaining the structure of guitar and giving the basic information about the instrument
- Instructing students about both the basic and advance techniques in guitar playing
- Striking a fine blend of theory and practicality while teaching guitar playing
- Ability to understand the needs, short and long term goals of different students and changing the methods of teaching accordingly
- Preparing students for student recitals or public performances if necessary
I'm funny, friendly, outgoing, and love to play guitar. I’m also flexible and easy to work with, however when it comes to learning I’m strict and serious. Some of my students call me “Three-Face”, for I’m not only your teacher but also your friend and your coach: I will introduce you to the world of guitar as a teacher; jam and have fun with you as a friend; and I will train you and make sure you are on the right as a coach.
I like all kinds of music, from Classical to Metal and everything in between. Some of my favorite bands/artists who influence me include: Joe Satriani, Slash, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeppelin, Disturbed, Antoine Carre, Niccolo Paganini, Antonio Vivaldi…
Sharing my knowledge in music and guitar makes me happy, and it is the greatest joy for me to see my students grow and play the music they like. Guitar lessons should be fun and enjoyable, yet challenging.
Thank you very much for visiting my page and I hope to teach you soon!
- Sylivan T.
*** Lesson Details ***
During our first lesson, we will first talk about your goal and music direction that you want to pursuit. Then based on your goal and direction, I will customize a curricular track and briefly explain the things that you need to know and what you need to focus on in order to achieve your goal.
As your instructor, my goal is to help you to reach your goals and to have fun with the music you enjoy. In each lesson, according to your progress, I will introduce you new concepts/materials using fun and easy-to-learn activities. Then we will work on the materials together and have fun jamming together. Yes!! You will feel like you are jamming along with your friend instead of taking a guitar lesson, because guitar lessons suppose to be fun!!!
Each particular lesson I will assign you some assignments. They would either be things that we already jammed on during the lesson, or something that I want you to work on your own. Then when we meet again, we will go over the assignments together and I will give you comments and advises to help you play better.
Below are only some of the instructional books that I usually use for teaching beginners. I will also use other instructional books and music repertories according to the ability of the students and their music style:
- Hal Leonard Guitar Method: Will Schmid and Greg Koch
- Alfred’s Basic Guitar Method: Alfred d’ Auberge and Morton Manus
- Hal Leonard Rock Guitar Method: Michael Mueller
- Solo Guitar Playing: Frederick M. Noad
From my experience as a teacher and student, I believe there is no such thing as a “Perfect Instructional Book”. Therefore along with the above instructional books I will add in some other activities and exercises written by myself.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect my students to have a guitar and a chromatic tuner. Also a note book, some staff paper, and a pen and a pencil.
For electric guitar, it's necessary to have an amp and a .25 inch cable at home
*** Specialties ***
Usually use Mei Bay Guitar Method as a general guide and text for guitar teaching.
*** Specialized in classical, rock, blues, and pop ***
Speaks Cantonese, Mandarine
Teaches students 5 to 30
Major in Music with a Minor in Education from City College of New York, City University of New York
Passionate and patient instructor. Always takes the time to answer my questions and makes sure I understand each topic before moving on to the next.
Sylivan is a great teacher with great personality. He was there to help me not only when I struggled with music and guitar but also when I felt down. I asked him why he cared so much and he told me a healthy mind is most important which helps in music learning =) Sylivan is also patient; even sometimes I can't stand myself but he was there to help me to learn lol He has passion in teaching and you can see it once he's in action.Show More
Sylivan is patient and kind. I have been taking lesson with him for more than a year already. He builds up my confidence in music and gives me encouragment whenever I need it. I'm so thankful for having him as my guitar teacher.
First lesson, but Sylivan is very professional and is very concerned with balancing one's work load expectations with what one actually has the time to accomplish. I look forward to our next lesson.
Syllity Guitar Studio, New York
• Explaining the structure of guitar and giving the basic information about the instrument • Instructing students about both the basic and advance techniques in guitar playing • Striking a fine blend of theory and practicality while teaching the techniques and methods of guitar playing • Ability to understand the needs, short and long term goals of different students and changing the methods of teaching accordingly • Preparing students for student recitals or public performances if necessary
Chinatown Head Start, New York
• Organizing and leading music activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development • Teaching basic skills such as color, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene, and social skills through songs and group singing • Developing a well-managed, child oriented music lessons to assist the learning curriculum of the school • Recording children’s progress in music to evaluate their behaviors, developments, and health – Reporting and discussing any possible problems with lead teachers, specialists and parents. • Coordinating and planning all musical performances for students such as Christmas Celebration, Chinese New Year and School Commencement.
Oversea Chinese Mission, New York
• Preparing complete, concise daily lesson plans • Identifying, selecting, and modifying instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs. • Managing students during camp assemblies and field trips • Modeling professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community
Philip Randolph High School, New York
• Submitting and discussing lesson plans and unit plans with the Cooperating Educator prior to presenting the lesson and unit • Teaching instrumental classes such as keyboard lab, guitar ensemble, and chorus. • Providing one-on-one, individual assistance and support to help students in successfully learning the daily lesson objectives such as history, theory, and instrument techniques. • Providing clerical support to the classroom teacher such as recording student’s grades, correcting homework, and taking daily attendance.
Oversea Chinese Mission, New York
• Assisted elementary students to reach their highest potential in music and all other areas of their studies • Prepared music lesson and training for children • Organizing outdoor activities such as movies, visiting museums and parks to strengthen students' knowledge in music.
City College of New York, City University of New York
The King's College, NY, New York
Borough Manhattan Community College, City University of New York
Fluent / Native Proficiency
Fluent / Native Proficiency
City College of New York