- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I was a piano major at UNI and received a B.A. in English with a minor in music. I taught music for several years in Iowa and Pennsylvania. I have an M.A. in Reading, which has been invaluable in analyzing learning styles and teaching to each student's strengths. I have been teaching piano for over twenty five years and I'm also active in church music.
*** Lesson Details ***
I focus on learning the foundations of music as well as the technical skills needed to play piano. I gear the instruction towards finding patterns that make a piece more than a collection of notes and, thus, easier to learn.
I've used various curriculum: Alfred, Bastien, Faber, etc. and try to supplement materials with music that is appealing to the individual student.
I am very flexible with scheduling and try to make each lesson as stress-free and interesting as possible.
In a few months a student should be able to read music and play simple melodies and chords.
*** Specialties ***
I teach classical as well as pop, providing a broad foundation that allows the student to play any style of music.
Taught choral and general music to grades 3-12.
Have been a church organist and choir director
from the age of 13 to the present.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Piano · In studio Terrific teacher for a first-timer.
· Piano · In studio Susan is a great instructor patient and tailors the lesson to your exact level and pace!
· Piano · In home I think Bin is enjoying his lessons very, even though he is very shy and rarely talks. Thanks again for everything.
· Piano · In home Susan is a very patient instructor . She works with my daughters at their own speed and proceeds only when they are ready. Both of my daughters love having Susan as their piano instructor!
· Piano · In home Susan is the best piano instructors in the area, hands down. She was able to work with both our child and schedule to make our lessons work. Easy to access location, parking and a beautiful piano to learn on.
· Piano · In studio Susan is an amazing instructor. She is patient, very clear in her direction and has absolute mastery as an instructor. I highly recommend her.
· Piano · In home Took the time to make sure we were starting at the right lesson.
· Piano · In studio Great teacher, very patient and easy to work with.
· Piano · In studio Sue is a wonderful teacher and I would recommend her to anyone. I'm in my late 20's and have never played a musical instrument in the life, but I was eager to learn. After looking at many teachers I decided to take lessons with Sue and I couldn't be happier. I've taken 3 lessons with her so far and plan on taking more in the future.
Although we follow the lessons in a piano book Sue adds additional insight and helpful tips about the lesson at hand. She gives you tips on finger positioning, keeping the same pace while playing songs, and much more that you can't get from just a book. Even if you plan on learning mainly through a book I'd suggest taking a few lessons from Sue as well to compliment your study habits and to make sure you're learning everything correctly. Sometimes she also provides some interesting information about the song you are learning like it's backstory and it's popularity which I find great additional information.
Sue is very patient and lets you learn at a pace that is comfortable for you. I've never felt any pressure while taking a lesson and enjoy the setup she has in her home. Again, if you are looking for a piano lesson, no matter your experience level, I think you'll be happy having Sue as a teacher.
· Piano · In studio Teacher Susan is the kind of teacher who is able to bring out the best in her student.