I have over 30 years of combined education and experience performing and teaching percussion and piano. I earned a Bachelor's Degree in Percussion Performance from the University of Alabama,with Piano as my secondary instrument. I hold a Master's Degree in Percussion Performance from Indiana University, with a Cognate in Jazz Studies. I have taught private percussion, drum set, and piano lessons for over 30 years. I performed for 10 years as a contract percussionist with the Savannah Symphony Orchestra, the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, the Macon Symphony Orchestra, and the Columbus Symphony Orchestra. I have performed in orchestras with accomplished musicians including The Moody Blues (Chastain Park), Judy Collins, and Henry Mancini.
*** Lesson Details ***
I like my students to have some fun while they learn. I ask that you practice 30 minutes a day, so that you can spend your lesson time learning and moving forward. For piano, I use the Alfred series, as well as the Real Book (jazz standards), and of course sheet music for classical pieces and popular tunes. After three months, you will have learned how to play the basic scales and chords, as well as some introductory classical and popular material. On drums after six months, you will know the first thirteen rudiments and some of the basic rock beats, and you will be playing with some rock ballads. After six months on piano, you will be playing all of the major scales and chords and the basic minor chords. You will be playing some Bach and Mozart, and you will start on some basic jazz standards. On drums, you will have learned most of the 26 basic rudiments, and you will be playing along with some medium tempo rock songs. You will have learned some coordinated independence to start playing jazz and swing styles (which by the way are the building blocks for playing R&B and hip-hop). And you'll enjoy the journey! I enjoy seeing my students grow as they learn. I have had students of mine go on to play in the Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps, get advanced music degrees, and become recording artists. The current Percussion Instructor at the University of Alabama was my percussion student. While I know that not everyone seeks to play professionally, you will learn the tools to play well. I look forward to teaching you!
*** Studio Equipment ***
Front and side entrance upright piano in living room plus drum set, electronic keyboard, seating for parents.
*** Specialties ***
Drums --- Rock, Jazz
Percussion --- Rudimental, Symphonic
Piano --- Jazz, Jazz Theory, Popular
Taught private percussion and piano lessons.
Assisted students to prepare for and perform in regular recitals.
Performed regularly in faculty recitals.
Performed regularly in community events sponsored by the Creative Arts Guild.
Prepared, rehearsed, and performed orchestral percussion parts, including but not limited to snare drum; xylophone; orchestra bells; chimes; bass drum; crash & suspended cymbals; triangle; tambourine; multiple percussion; and for pop concerts, drum set. I left employment with the SSO in 1994 due to having been hired in a job with the State of GA in Dalton, GA. (Note: The last year of the SSO was 2003.)
During this same time frame, I also performed with a number of other orchestras ( please see my bio).
· Piano · In studio Excelente maestro. Mi hija de 8 anhos siempre esta entusiasmada de llegar a clase. Steve tiene una metodologia muy entretenida y practica para llegar al alumno. Es tan bueno en lo que hace, que estoy entusismado tambien yo en empezar mis clases de piano con el. Gracias Steve.
· Piano · In studio I was excited about starting lessons. Stephen!s teaching exceeding my expectations and I am so looking forward to my next lesson.
· Percussion · In home I have enjoyed a lot of time with him. It is very great to spend time preparing my auditions . he is very helpful for what I am struggling with.
If possible, I want to give him 100 stars.
Thank you so much!!
· Piano · In studio Mr. Stephen has been a great teacher , He has been teaching my boys piano for about nine months and he knows how to teach each one of them at their level. The boys started at the same time and they are learning at a great pace. I would recommend Mr. Stephen to anyone looking for a great teacher. He is truly a blessing and my boy always look forward to going for lessons
· Percussion · In studio Steve D. is an excellent teacher! My daughter is in the band at her middle school, and she started taking lessons a few weeks before school started. She was worried about having to play a part on the bells that she did not know. Steve showed her exactly how to play it, and she was able to play the whole piece before leaving her lesson. She came worried, and she left confident! Steve is very patient, and is able to answer any question you ask him regarding percussion. He is very kind as well, and I would recommend him to anyone who needs lessons.
· Piano · Best Piano Teacher ever
So patient and willing to impart his expertise to the student.
Blessed to have Stephen teach my boys and they love it and don't want to miss a lesson.