Shih-Min has been playing the bassoon and piano since the age of eleven and studying music since the age of nine. She is a passionate teacher and has taught students in both piano and bassoon for many years. Miss. T studied at the Taipei University of Art, in Taiwan, where she received her Bachelors before coming to the United States where she received a Masters and performance certificate from Indiana University and a Doctorate from the University of Texas at Austin. While at the University of Texas, she was the bassoon teaching assistant and performed regularly as the principal bassoonist with university ensembles as well as performing with the Austin Symphony. She traveled with the University of Texas Wind Ensemble for their 2014 World Tour. Along with her musical activities, Dr. T teaches students in Chinese (Mandarin) and also ESL. Currently Dr. Tang is a private instructor and freelance performer, she hopes to continue to perform, teach, and enrich people’s lives through her music.
Around twenty-five students from age three to fifty. I teach beginning to advanced level.
· Piano · In home Shih-Min is doing great! She keeps the lesson fun and even when my daughter doesn't want to do something, she makes a game of it and keeps it fun!
· Piano · In home Feedback has been great! You are doing a wonderful job of making it "fun". We really appreciate your efforts.
· Piano · In home Shih-Min was professional, efficient, inspiring and most of all, GREAT in handling our wiggly kids!
· Piano · In home My 10 year old daughter had her first lesson today. Shihmin was kind and patient and a good match for my daughter. Thank you!
· Bassoon · In studio Shih Min is great at teaching, . and I feel as though I have learned so much from her. awesome. I owe much of my improvement and love of the bassoon to Shihmin
· Bassoon · In studio Ms. Tang is both an excellent educator and a passionate human being. This allows her to cultivate growth academically, creatively, and emotionally within her students. As an educator, I know that the human aspect is the most often overlooked subject in arts education, being sacrificed in favor of technique and mechanics of instrumental performing. Ms. Tang is truly the full package - her technicality is superior, but her attention to detail and passion for music fosters true musicality in her students. Her educational approach builds strong musicians, balanced in their technicality and musicality, while simultaneously building strong, sympathetic, and intellectually and emotionally sensitive human beings. Of all the bassoonists I have ever known, Shih-Min Tang is by far the most valuable contributor to the culture of music and (though it sounds colloquial) the world - whether bassoon, piano, or aural skills, you simply cannot leave a lesson with Ms. Tang without significantly gaining something tremendously valuable.
· Bassoon · In studio Shush-Min is a fantastic bassoonist and teacher. She is always trying to find ways to make her lessons more engaging and really cares for her students. I would highly recommend her to anyone who want to learn more about musicianship and how to play!!