- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- January 2006
Ryan L. is a local composer, conductor, musician and musicologist. He holds a Masters degree in Musicology from California State University, Long Beach Cole Conservatory of Music. He is a professor of music at Woodbury University where he teaches a course in Music and Film. Additionally he is also the music director for Conundrum Theatre Co., Burbank Community Theater and Santa Ana College where he auditions, and rehearses singers, and the contracts and conducts the orchestra in all musical performances for the community.
As a classical/jazz trumpet player he has performed with tournament of Roses Honor band, the Pasadena Pops Orchestra, the Crown City Symphony and in various musical theater productions. He performs regularly with his jazz band the Crown City Combo in various venues in the greater LA area.
In the field of music composition Ryan is an avid composer, composing for various genres and ensembles. Among these genres Ryan’s specialty is composing new musical theater works/songwriting. In 2010 he joined the Academy of New Musical Theater and with that organization he composed his first musical theater piece Shoot Ma! which premiered at the Colony Theater in Burbank. In 2011 he composed his second musical Experience Magic! A Musical Within a Magic Show, which premiered at the Sierra Madre Playhouse in 2012.
• Teachs a course in music in film
• Designs and administers exams, quizzes, lectures and writing assignments
• Designs and Implements 6 Week Curriculum for group lessons
• Teaches private trumpet lessons, composition, and music history
• Responsible for all music related aspects of the musical theater productions
• Participates in auditions and casting
• Teaches singers their parts, then coaches them in phrasing, pacing, and musical/dramatic intent
• Rehearses and hires the orchestra musicians
• Conducts the musical performances from the orchestra pit
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
Excellent at giving pointers and exercises to help students improve sound quality. Patient, positive and personable.
Fabulous teacher! My son's taking beginning trumpet lessons. Ryan is patient, attentive, encouraging, and knowledgeable. Ryan is punctual and flexible when rescheduling needs to be arranged. He responds to email, phone calls, etc. in a timely manner. My son enjoys learning from him. It's a pleasure to have him as my son's teacher.+ Read More