- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- August 2007
My name is Ruthie and I graduated from the University of Northern Colorado in May of 2007 with a Bachelors of Music Education degree with an emphasis in voice. Through my collegiate experiences, I had the privilege of participating in a Concert Choir, Barbershop/A Capella Ensembles, Vocal Jazz Ensembles and Performance in Solo Voice. The jazz program at UNC is one of the finest in the United States, and to be selected as a member of one of the vocal jazz ensembles was an honor in itself. From these experiences I have gained knowledge about the importance of vocal performance and music advocacy. I accepted a position as a general music teacher in Colorado in the fall of 2007 and then worked part time for a school in Laguna Niguel, CA until June of 2012. I recently moved from California to Minnesota and am trying to get my music student clientele established. I love to sing all different styles and I'd love to help you find your style and help discover your passions.
My passion for music started for me as a young child. I grew up in a musically inclined family, and was inspired and motivated by family members to use my gifts and talents to educate students about the world of music. My immense love for children, coupled with my educational experiences and my passion for music qualify me as a fun and exciting teacher.
I am huge lover of Barbershop/Sweet Adeline music and I recently competed in the International Young Women in Harmony Quartet Contest in Nashville, TN. My quartet, Vogue, won the competition. The Young Women in Harmony contest is for girls 25 years old and younger. I recently sang with a quartet called, Dolce. We competed in two International Competitions in Denver and Hawaii and placed 10th and 15th in the world. I was also a member of the International Gold Medalist Chorus, Harborlites, which is comprised of 180 female singers.
"Music isn't just learning notes and playing them, You learn notes to play to the music of your soul." - Katie Greenwood
*** Lesson Details ***
My lessons will be educational and fun. I want to find your passions and interests and from there I will create lesson plans to enhance your learning experience in your specified concentration. Voice lessons will start with vocal warm ups and exercises and then we will proceed to work on vocal techniques and preferred repertoire. During the lessons we will create goals and work on those goals so you become a successful musician.
I am a very patient and caring teacher and I am able to create the lessons to your style and needs. Music is fun and I want to make it that way for you!
*** Studio Equipment ***
I have a full keyboard.
*** Specialties ***
I studied music education in college with a vocal emphasis. I am classically trained but studied jazz as well. I also am a member of an internationally ranked barbershop chorus and quartet. I specialize in singing bass and lead in barbershop.
Instruct private voice, piano and guitar lessons that are individualized to the needs of students varying from ages five to fifty-five
• Advocated musical education in the general music classroom
• Established music programs for all ages of students
• Implemented lesson plans pertaining to gifted and talented students
Created and taught summer enrichment program structured around music and movement, theatre and group vocal lessons.
Instructed private voice and piano lessons that are individualized to the needs of students varying from ages seven to eleven
• Directed 40 students in weekly choir sessions in preparation for 2 performances
• Directed 60 students in weekly rehearsals in preparation for 2 theatrical performances of Peter Pan
• Conducted and created multiple student-performed programs that involved instruments, vocals, choreography and acting
• Planned and implemented daily lesson plans incorporating model content standards
• Utilized movement as a main focus to engage students in learning
• Created music curriculum that incorporated classroom learning objectives
• Created and implemented differentiated instruction for a diverse student body of 650 students
• Successfully planned for and integrated students with severe academic and affective needs
• Successfully planned for and integrated English Language Learners
• Taught daily instruction involving students with physical disabilities as well as special education students
• Cooperated with other specialty teachers and wellness committee in producing a wellness fair involving all five senses with music being the sense of hearing
Lead a summer enrichment program for grades third through sixth structured around music and movement
She was very accommodating to our schedule. Very friendly and really motivated my daughter to want to learn and practice!