- Teaches students:
- Ages 3+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
- September 2011
As an NYC native, I have been teaching drum lessons for almost 7 years now. Born in lower Manhattan, I attended Manhattan East Middle School for Music & Arts, as well as Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School for Music & Art and the Performing Arts. In 2012, I received a scholarship to attend New England Conservatory of Music where I had the opportunity to study privately with master musicians such as John McNeil, Bob Moses, Miguel Zenon, Jerry Bergonzi and a lengthy apprenticeship with drum legend Billy Hart. In 2014 I received a full scholarship to attend the Banff International Workshop in Jazz and Creative Music in Canada. I was fortunate enough to be able to work closely there with first- rate artists such as Vijay Iyer, Steve Coleman, Jeff “Tain” Watts, Reggie Workman and more. I have been a private drum lesson instructor since high school, and have taught dozens of students of all ages, skill levels, and in all styles of music. In addition to private lessons, I have taught workshops and masterclasses in high schools and community centers throughout my years at New England Conservatory. I have also taught at the Outreach Summer Music Workshop in Austria for 2 years, where I instructed and coached ensembles of international students. Music is a powerful thing, and the ability to teach it is a great joy and learning experience.+ Read More
• Has taught dozens of students of all ages and skill levels from ages 6 to 60.
• Lessons include all styles of jazz, rock, funk, latin, hip hop, pop as well as technique, reading, and general musicianship.
• Maintains complete responsibility for the organization, teaching and techniques of each lesson. Evaluates each student’s progress and adjusts strategies accordingly.
• Taught workshops and masterclasses in a number of high schools and community centers all over Massachusetts with the 2015 Jazz Honors Ensemble.
• Performed in masterclasses led by Fred Hersch, Dave Holland, Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, Aaron Goldberg, and Donny McCaslin.
• Was a TA for Jerry Leake’s World Rhythms Class. Worked closely with students on world music, rhythmic independence, and traditional techniques.
• Instructed and coached ensembles of international students in Jazz, Rock, Fusion, and other repertoire.
• Had the opportunity teach private drum lessons to students despite a language barrier.
Cool kit, experienced drummer
Get patient and eager to teach!
Russell is a great teacher. He is able to clearly write out the grooves or rudimentary exercises on music paper and have you practice them in creative ways. Russell can play any drum style (rock, jazz, blues, progressive etc) and has a calm and confident demeanor. I would hire him again.... and do.+ Read More
As my first drum teacher, I felt I learned a lot. I really liked his approach to teaching in that is not based on written music but rather by ear. Highly recommend.
Very dedicated and passionate teacher. He wants to make sure you get the most out of you lesson. Russell was always reliable and really cared about my progress on the drums.