- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I've been playing guitar for over eleven years, teaching for seven, and have a Bachelor's in Music from the Thornton School of Music at University of Southern California. I've taught all ages and covered everything from theory to improvisation, transcription to technique.
My aim is to contribute to my students’ knowledge of music and technical ability on their instrument, as well as encouraging their passion and creativity. I tailor every lesson to each individual student, no two people learn at the same pace. Besides learning songs and scales, my students will learn effective methods of practice, proper instrument and hand care, and other essential skills for an aspiring musician.
Another goal is to give my students the tools, motivation, and confidence to practice and pursue music on their way, outside of the classroom. I whole-heartedly encourage students to bring in music that interests them, although I also have a stockpile of popular and fun songs to pull from, each of which teaches different techniques at different levels.
Any time a student shows an interest in a new area or brings in music that’s unfamiliar to me, I take it as an opportunity to expand my own knowledge and skill. As such, I’ve learned and taught lessons on electric bass, ukulele, and keyboards as well as guitar and I’m comfortable in a multitude of styles: jazz, rock, classical, folk, funk, hip hop, reggae and more.
Most of all, I want to share my love of music with my students. I first connected with music because it brought me joy. Although I take music seriously, I also believe that learning, playing, and performing should be liberating and expressive.
Instructor and Business Owner
Independently contracted music teacher serving students in San Ramon and Danville through Right Start Music.
Independently contracted music teacher working at the Fremont Music School campus.
· Guitar · In home Rory is a great teacher; patient, thorough, and fun. I always feel great learning from him.
· Guitar · In home Rory has been teaching my daughter guitar for a couple years now. He is patient, articulate, a talented musician, a nice guy, and a great teacher..
· Guitar · Online My daughter has been learning guitar with Rory for over three years now. Couldn't have found a better instructor than Rory, he is the best guitar teacher out there. She really enjoys playing guitar and Rory has worked with her on sharpening her skills, she has become a good guitar player in such a short time.
Thank you Rory, you're the best.
· Guitar · In home Rory is a fantastic instructor. Patient, thorough, and reliable whether you are 5 or 55! We originally hired him to provide ukulele lessons for my 6 year old. After a few weeks I decided to start my own lessons on guitar. Having never played an instrument (outside of elementary school band) I was apprehensive about starting this new hobby. But Rory's patience and approach to learning has helped me understand music at a pace that is comfortable yet challenging. With my daughter he's the same - he speaks with a calm voice, provides plenty of encouragement, and exudes the right amount of authority to keep the lessons moving forward.
· Guitar · In studio Rory is an excellent teacher. He was very patient and gave good feedback.
· Guitar · In studio Rory is very personable and fun to take lessons with. He treats lessons collaboratively, and respects that each student has their own pace and preferences. I really enjoy taking lessons with Rory and know I can always rely on him for good tips and advice to help me improve in my guitar playing. I also appreciate his strong knowledge of music theory as it allows me to learn information that lets me have a stronger appreciation and knowledge of all types of music, not only guitar.
· · In studio At our first meeting Rory took the time to get to know me, and find out what my musical goals were. Then he designed lesson plans to support those goals.
As an older adult, sometimes it can be very intimidating to try to learn new skills.
He is punctual, affordable, professional, and very supportive. That helps tremendously !
I put in the practice time, but I'm certain that Rory's lessons and encouragement have a great deal to do with the wonderful progress that I'm making.
· Guitar · In home Rory is a fantastic teacher. He is encouraging, patient, kind and reliable. He is relatable to young students as well as adult students, and is truly a good teacher. Many guitar teachers are very good at guitar but lack the skill of teaching, and Rory possesses both skills. If you try lessons with Rory I am confident that you will not be disappointed.