- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
As a native of Chattanooga, TN, I have been hailed by critics as a “sonorous-voiced” bass-baritone with “rich tones” who creates “a solid foundation for the entire performance.”
That’s the first sentence of my professional biography. I thought I'd use it to get the ball rolling.
I wasn’t always a performer. In fact, I’m what you’d call an introvert, but I always loved music. In high school, I was pressured into auditioning for the school musical and I actually got a lead role! From that moment on I was hooked and the trajectory of my life was altered forever!
I went to Berry College for my Bachelor of Music Education degree. My voice teacher taught me how to fill a theater with the sound of my voice WITHOUT A MICROPHONE! He nudged me onward to get my Master’s degree at the prestigious School of Music at Indiana University, where I met my wife, Michelle Kei Ishuu, who is also a great performer and teacher. We often teach together, so you get twice the benefit in your lessons!
We have lived in San Diego and New York City. We’ve performed on stages across the country and throughout Europe and we’ve worked with some AMAZING artists over the years who have graciously shared their gifts with us. Now, we have the pleasure of sharing what we’ve learned with our students.
Do you want to learn a bulletproof singing technique that can be easily modified to sing anything from Opera to Broadway? I can teach you. Do you need someone to help you become a better performer and realize your full dramatic potential? I can do that, too.
The goal of learning to be a better performer is to perform better. Through our partnership with Southminster Presbyterian Church, we can offer you the added benefit of a supportive space to try out your new skills. When you’re performance-ready, you can perform for a live audience in one of our scheduled recitals or even as a special musical guest for one of Southminster’s regular church services.
Let me help you find your REAL VOICE!!!
Questions? Just ask. I look forward to hearing from you!
I perform with opera companies, musical theater companies and orchestras all over the country.
· Broadway Singing · In studio A little background about myself - I'm a mid-twenties male with a musical background but zero singing experience. Singing is something I've always to learn and after finally pulling the trigger on lessons, I really could not be happier with choosing Robert and Michelle. As he often teaches with his wife Michelle, you’re essentially getting two professional vocal instructors for the price of one! They’re both extremely talented singers and teachers with a great sense of humor. More importantly they’re just really good people. I was extremely nervous before starting lessons, but right from the first lesson, they put my worries at ease and created a safe and encouraging learning environment for me which leads to each lesson not only being incredibly fun, but also very rewarding. They will teach you the proper technique for healthy natural singing and give you many laughs along the way. Even though I haven't been taking lessons for long, after each lesson I'm floored to hear and feel how my voice is changing – I'm eager to hear how my voice develops over the coming months. Can’t recommend them enough!
· Singing · In studio My son (14) asked to take voice lessons and wanted to audition for a musical. I knew he liked to sing, but was surprised by both of these requests. I found Robert through takelessons.com. Robert is awesome!! He saw the potential in my son and helped him bring out his "voice". Robert's teaching style is professional but relaxed. He even helped with acting and preparing for the audition. Everything Robert has taught my son has helped build his confidence and he enjoys singing even more. With Robert's help, he landed a major role in the musical. I would recommend Robert to anyone interested in taking vocal lessons. Thank you, Robert, for helping my son find his "real voice!"
· Opera Voice · In studio I wrote a review several months ago after my first lesson. I have been taking lessons once a week with Michelle and Robert for several months now and felt it was time to write another review. I listened to a recording of my last lesson and compared it to my first lesson. Wow, what a difference! I couldn't believe it was me on the recording! My voice has developed a powerful and refined quality it never had before. My singing has become effortless and my range has expanded greatly and continues to expand. I can't recommend them enough. I look forward to every lesson because not only are they amazing vocal coaches, they are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are enthusiastic, encouraging, fun, and quite hilarious. My lessons always end too soon and I always improve upon my technique in some way after each lesson. I had taken voice lessons before many, many years ago and the experience was not so great. I found Michelle and Robert through an online search and decided to give them a try and I won the vocal coach lottery. I couldn't have found two better coaches. Wherever you are in your vocal training--whether you're just starting out or looking to improve upon your technique--I am convinced that Robert and Michelle will be able to help you.
· Opera Voice · In studio I wrote a review several months ago after my first lesson. I have been taking lessons once a week with Michelle and Robert for several months now and felt it was time to write another review. I listened to a recording of my last lesson and compared it to my first lesson. Wow, what a difference! I couldn't believe it was me on the recording! My voice has developed a powerful and refined quality it never had before. My singing has become effortless and my range has expanded greatly and continues to expand. I can't recommend them enough. I look forward to every lesson because not only are they amazing vocal coaches, they are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are enthusiastic, encouraging, fun, and quite hilarious. My lessons always end too soon and I always improve upon my technique in some way after each lesson.
· Singing · In studio My story is that I am 50 something, and have been singing for 35 years. I am a musician, but never formally studied voice. I have lost a tremendous amount of range.. lack of use, age, etc. So, I wanted to find a teacher who could help me rehabilitate my voice. I was so lucky to just stumble upon Robert and his wife Michelle. I have been taking lessons weekly for 2 months- and I cannot believe the difference. They detected right away bad habits.. in almost every aspect of singing.. neck and throat tension, breathing.. everything. They are helping me undo bad habits, and my sound has greatly improved. Robert and Michelle have extraordinary ways of explaining stuff. If I don't get it.. they find another way to explain it, or demonstrate it. Their voices are simply amazing- I love my lessons, we have fun, they are so encouraging and complimentary- even when I don't think I am progressing as quickly as I should. I have no lofty goals for my singing- I just want to sound good, and maybe sing in a community chorus one day. As accomplished as they are, it is really great that they like to share their talents and skills to help others. Thanks!
· Classical Voice · In studio I am so excited about my voice lessons. I am a university trained classical singer with extensive operatic and art song experience who wanted to get back to singing after a long absence. I was looking for a teacher that could help me to navigate the changes in my voice due to the aging process and provide me with the tools to steady a vibrato that had gotten out of hand. Michelle and Robert are exactly what I needed. They have extensive and commanding knowledge of the voice and support mechanism and teach from the Italian “Bel Canto School” perspective. That is to say pure vowels, open throated but focused sound and a healthy, low laryngeal position. I am loving my voice again and it has only been 3 lessons. They are exceptional at finding the beauty in the individual voice and not requiring a “carbon copy” sound. One of the best things about my lessons is that they complement each other as teachers and find a number of ways to facilitate a natural and beautiful sound by articulating suggestions in many and varied ways. If the student is unable to reproduce the desired outcome by one method, they will find another way to achieve it. Not one minute of a lesson is wasted and each week brings quick and substantial progress. It has been a joy to work with them and I look forward to each lesson and the progress they bring. In short, I am thrilled.
· Vocal Training · In studio What a Wonderful Experience, it does not matter what genre you sing, robert will show you the foundation you need to be great at any genre. for me its vocal rehab since i picked up some bad singing habbits along the way of self learning. you can't go wrong with the professionalism and expertise you will get here.
If your looking for a vocal teacher i strongly recommend to stop here and look no further, because you will be very satisfied with how quickly you will start to see improvements in your singing and talking voice.
· Classical Voice · In studio I highly, highly recommend Robert (and Michelle) to anybody. They are both incredible singers themselves and are very friendly, encouraging, and patient. They tailored each lesson for me to use what I knew, and develop areas that need polishing. Robert learned about my musical background, and took the time to understand the way I learn to make the most of the time. I was impressed by all the great reviews for both Robert and Michelle when I was searching for an instructor. I am happy to add my own to the list.
· Vocal Training · In studio In the space of 2 months, my vocal quality has improved immensely. He really focuses on the mechanics of proper singing. Like building a house, the end product requires a good foundation.
· Singing · In studio Robert is awesome. He is very patient, very knowledgeable, and is excellent at explaining what you need to do. This is no easy task when you are beginning, and don't really understand what you are supposed to be doing with your mouth to get a good sound. He is great at explaining and demonstrating, and pointing out which parts you did right and how to fix any that you did wrong. Not only that, he has a great sense of humor and is a lot of fun. This makes the lessons a lot less stressful.