I am a public school music teacher by day (14 years experience), a private music teacher by afternoon (18 yrs), and a gigging musician and DJ by night (18 yrs). I manage a highly successful cover band called The Retreat that performs all over the southeast. I have lead and arranged the worship music at a local church on Sundays and also have numerous original songs that have been recorded and published.
With all of this experience teaching, I am GREAT with kids and always PROFESSIONAL in my conduct.
I have 3 degrees in Music Education:
- Bachelors, Indiana University of PA
- Masters, Auburn University
- Educational Specialist, Auburn University
I teach lessons on:
- Bass Guitar
- Recording and Music Production
*** Lesson Details ***
The goal of music lessons is not to just learn the notes and mechanics of an instrument, but to become a well-rounded MUSICIAN. With my lessons, we don't just go through a book page-by-page, rather, lessons are shaped around the musical tastes and interests of the student. Musical theory concepts are applied in actual songwriting and current popular songs. I accompany the students on various instruments, imitating a real performance situation. I teach all ages; beginners to advanced musicians.
Unlike a crowded music store with a cramped little room for lessons, my lessons are taught in a large, open, and well-lit home studio. There is an open waiting area where parents can listen as well. Parking is convenient on a cul-de-sac with a clear view into the teaching studio.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Nord Stage 2 88 piano,
Yamaha Custom saxophone with Theo Wanne, Meyer, and Selmer mouthpieces,
Dr. Z RxJr amplifier with 2x12 cabinet,
Dr. Z M12 amplifier,
Don Grosh Custom electric guitar,
Duesenberg 49er electric guitar,
Lowden O25 acoustic guitar,
Ibanez bass guitar,
QSC 12 powered speaker,
Sonor 3001 drumset,
Pork Pie snare drum,
Avid Protools Mbox Pro,
Rode vocal mic and overhead mics,
Apple Macbook Pro computer
*** Specialties ***
Recording and production - Protools, Garageband
I manage and play with The Retreat, a successful corporate cover band that plays weddings and other private events. We are exclusively signed with Sam Hill Entertainment.
I teach K-6 Music Education classes. I have taught at Chapman Intermediate, Hickory Flat Elementary, and Mountain Road Elementary Schools.
I have taught private lessons on guitar, piano, saxophone, drums, flute, bass guitar, digital recording, improvisation and songwriting/composition for over 15 years. I have maintained a large private studio (up to 25 students at one time).
I led and arranged the weekly worship music each Sunday morning at a local church.
Certified in teaching music K-12
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Piano · In studio Great teacher! Let's the student move at their own pace and finds fun ways to challenge them.
· Piano · In studio I am so thankful we found Rich! With my own degree in piano performance, everyone thinks I should teach my daughter myself. But with Rich she is not only learning how to read music, but how to play by ear and improv. She loves him cause he's so "chill" and is always positive with her. Couldn't ask for a better teacher!
· Piano · In home I have been taking piano lessons from Rich for a little over a year now an it has been such a pleasure! Rich centers the lessons around my interests and goals but also challenges me in areas where I struggle. He has always been very supportive and such an encouragement. Being able to see my process is a great experience! I would recommend Rich to anyone.
· Guitar · In studio I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar but it's was a bit difficult finding the time or focus to learn. Rich was great! Full of patience, support, and talent. He always made me feel comfortable & accommodated my schedule. His patience & reassurance made me feel confident with my personal progress. Several times I arrived early & witnessed him instructing other adults & children of all ages. He's always professional & personal & I highly recommend him as an instructor.
· Piano · In studio I have been working with Rich for just over a year. I am clearly his oldest and only retired student. This was something I always wanted to do and I found Rick through Take Lessons. It has been a great fit as he is first and foremost a very talented musician. Next you have to be able to convey that knowledge and make it fit to many different learning styles. Rich picks up quickly on what I am getting and where I am struggling, and adjusts accordingly. Rich has been a pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend him to learners of all ages.
· Drum · In studio I waited until I had a month of lessons before reviewing Rich but I knew right away he was great. He is extremely knowledgable not only of drums but also music in general. Every time we get together I enjoy our lessons and in our short time together I can already see improvement. He also does a great job encouraging me and building my confidence as a musician. I highly recommend him!
· Drum · In studio Great energy and positive attitude!
· Acoustic Guitar · In studio Great!
· Flute · In studio Rich has an enthusiasm for music which is evident in his teaching style. He has a very positive teaching method, and adapts lessons to fit the goal of the student. We highly recommend Rich!
· Saxophone · In studio My son really enjoyed his lesson. We are very pleased.