- Teaches students:
- Females 3+ and males 3 to 12
- Teaching since:
Are you looking for some help with elementary level math or reading? Do you need assistance with writing or editing a high school or college paper? Are you interested in learning a language like English, Spanish, or Portuguese? Or do you just need some supplemental lessons to really help you understand your class material?
Then contact me!
I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a bachelors degree in International Studies, Spanish, and Global Cultures. While an undergraduate, I studied abroad in Ecuador. I also received a Certificate in Youth Development from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, as well as a Certificate in Conversational Portuguese from Liberty University. I continue to further my education by taking Public Policy masters courses from Liberty University.
I am passionate about learning, and I delight in helping others succeed in their academic and language pursuits. For over 14 years, I have been tutoring clients of all ages in various subjects. In Lithuania, I taught youth conversational English. While in college, I took several elementary education courses, assisted other college students with their homework, and tutored grade school students in math and reading. Following graduation, I continued to work with younger students in an after-school program setting, and for several years I have been teaching private language lessons to adults and children.
While I tutor several subjects, I really enjoy helping clients learn a new language. In this globalized world, I believe that learning another language is invaluable; being able to communicate in a non-native tongue not only improves your self-confidence, but it also helps you see the world from a new perspective. I love that knowing foreign languages has given me insight into other cultures and allowed me to form deep relationships with people who do not know any English.
In my language classes you will receive assistance with:
• understanding content
• clarity in writing
• cultural comprehension
• sentence structure
As a teacher, I delight in helping my students find success, and I strive to create a relaxed, fun, and happy classroom. I work with you at your pace and tailor lessons to your needs. It is my goal for you to have a better grasp of the subject matter and to equip you with the tools you need to succeed.
In my free time, I enjoy traveling and learning about other cultures, being creative, going on outdoor adventures, playing cards and board games, singing and dancing, reading, and watching movies.
Experience & Education:
• 14+ years experience tutoring Spanish, Conversational English, ESL, Elementary/Middle School/college subjects, writing/editing papers
• 20+ years speaking Spanish with experience living in a Spanish-speaking country
• University of Wisconsin graduate with 3.9 GPA
• B.A. in Spanish, International Studies, and Global Cultures
• Public Policy masters courses
• Elementary Education courses
• Portuguese courses
▪ Teach high school students the Kaplan method to prepare them for taking the ACT
▪ Provide exceptional instruction, student mentorship, and subject matter expertise on all sections of the exam
▪ Teach full immersion English language and content classes based on the US Common Core State Standards to young Chinese students
▪ Tutor students online and in person
▪ Work with students at their pace and tailor lessons to their needs
▪ Write blog articles to help students learn Spanish
▪ Developed appropriate English language lessons, homework, and assessment tools for 2 native Portuguese speakers
▪ Employed communication and interpersonal skills to provide patrons with exceptional customer service in English and Spanish
▪ Developed and maintained positive and successful business relationships with internal departments and outside vendors
▪ Grew campus card program by creating marketing strategies and materials and enhancing and maintaining webpage and social media sites
▪ Independently evaluated learning needs of 3 tutees and developed appropriate Spanish language lessons, homework, and assessment tools
▪ Improved professional verbal and written communication skills as key liaison between Human Ecology and university and public entities
▪ Translated documents and emails from English into Portuguese and vice versa
▪ Identified and addressed needs of 50 diverse youth through mentoring, tutoring, and developing 4 effective and sustainable programs
▪ Improved Spanish skills by speaking in Spanish to employees and participants and their parents and translating documents into Spanish
▪ Composed articles for the Bridge Lake Point Waunona Neighborhood Center Monthly Newsletter
▪ Collaborated with parents, volunteers, colleagues, and community members to enhance programs and incorporate best practices
▪ Engaged in outreach to international students and doubled the number of members through promotion of the organization
▪ Supported 50 residents of diverse backgrounds via counseling, tutoring, and providing emergency assistance
▪ Led successful study abroad informational presentations in order to share with students the value of studying abroad
▪ Taught and practiced math and reading skills in English and Spanish with native Spanish-speaking children ages 5-11
▪ Gained appreciation of diversity and demonstrated sensitivity to cultural values, norms, customs, and communication patterns
Excellent teacher !!!
Great to work with!
Rachel was so patient with me! She was able to find the right pace that wouldn't be too much for a stay at home mother, and yet was still able to give enough homework and tests to push me to get better at Spanish. She is very well educated and fluent, that she could answer any question I have. Her knowledge of Spanish grammar really helped me better understand sentence structure. I would highly recommend Rachel.+ Read More