- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I started my musical path in a Ballet Studio. I fell in love with the crackle of the vinyl record playing as I learned to listen and dance with the rhythm.
I started playing the guitar when I was in elementary and took classical lessons until I was a teenager.I really enjoy the art of practice and the journey of patience. The process of learning has helped me carve out and cultivate my style of music. It's opened up a lot of doors for me in my life. I've had the honor to play with a lot of great performers and have been lucky enough to tour the U.S. and Canada with festivals and showcases such as Vans Warped Tour, South By Southwest and the Halifax Pop Explosion.I've been the opening act for Carolyn Wonderland, Maria Taylor, Tsunami Bomb, Tilly and the Wall, Basia Bulat, Rise Against, Strike Anywhere. Anathallo, Cursive, Milton Hopkins, and Pony Up.
When I have free time I volunteer with the Houston Chapter of Girls Rock Camp to help teach girls empowerment through songwriting and music.
*** Lesson Details ***
I began teaching as an afterschool job when I was 16. I was homeschooled, so I feel that the experience taught me that everyone learns differently and that there is not just one standardized method to playing music.
My teaching style varies with each student, but the one constant is my ability to make each and every client I encounter completely fall in LOVE with music. It's my super power.
Lesson plans are tailored for your specific needs and to help you achieve your musical goals and aspirations at your desired pace. I enjoy my students and making music with them.
Here is an overview of the lessons that I provide.
Finger Picking, Song Writing, Rhythm, Lead, Scales,Modes & Ear Training.
Songwriting and composition: Learn techniques, how to brain storm and plot your musical story line. This class pairs great with vocal lessons or guitar lessons.
Scales, Rhythm, Beginner and Advanced song structure, Ear Training
Technique, Intro to Chords, Ear Training, Strumming patterns - Ukulele is one of my favorite classes to teach. You simply can not help but smile when playing this instrument!
Breathing techniques, Scales, Harmonizing
Our two daughters have been taking guitar and drum lessons from Rachel since February 2014. Rachel’s laid back, fun teaching style has been a perfect match for our family. She makes learning an instrument seem like play, not work! We have found that Rachel reads her students very well, and is highly adept at picking up on their strengths and weaknesses. Rachel is not afraid to challenge her students, giving them the confidence to reach new goals. She is great at giving positive feedback, but can also gently give constructive criticism. Rachel also communicates well with parents, so that we can help our children and stay current on their progress.
Rachel, who is a lifelong, multi-instrumental musician herself, is not just teaching our kids to play songs. She teaches music theory and history, diverse genres, songwriting, timing, finger stretching (for guitar), and listening skills; she is creating lifelong musicians, not “one trick ponies”.
Rachel has been flexible with her time, allowing us to reschedule lessons when needed. We feel very fortunate to have found such a fantastic teacher for our children to learn from!
--- Shawn and Robert
“When we have trouble, she helps us practice it until we nail it!”
--- Tristyn, age 9 (guitar)
“Rachel is super nice and I love the way she treats me and my sister!”
--- Akira, age 5 (drums)
I spent several years as a manager of GC's management team for multiple stores in the greater Houston area!
Girls Rock Camp Houston is a one-week summer day camp formed in October 2009 to offer girls (ages 8-18 years old) music and art based workshops. Targeted areas include: musical development, self-esteem enhancement, creation of their own music, friendship and community building, and nurturing individual talents within a cooperative atmosphere. Additionally, girls will benefit from physical & artistic activities that complement their music instruction.
Goals for the program include empowerment of girls & women though music and providing the opportunity for all definitions of girls & women to succeed in any music-related venture. Girls of all backgrounds and musical levels are encouraged to apply, since a limited number of scholarships will be provided.
· Ukulele · In studio First lesson went very well!
· Classical Guitar · In home Rachel is outstanding! Very enjoyable experience to date.
· Guitar · In home Rachel is great! She's knowledgeable and patient. She knows how to get you to work to your potential.
· Piano · In studio Very good and patient instructor
· Singing · In studio Rachel is truly a professional and an inspiration. Her instructions are clear and she is great at making people feel comfortable. I can't wait to see how we progress over a few weeks.
· Singing · In studio Bomb.com
· Guitar · In studio Rachel is a great guitar instructor. I just met her for the first time and I got lot of lessons cover. I understand much faster because of the way she analyzed her materials. Rachel knows how to make a person loves playing guitar, not just learning. I highly recommend anyone who is thinking about guitar lesson should give Rachel a try.
· Bass Guitar · In studio Rachel's hands-on approach is great!! I'm super excited and looking forward to my future lessons.
· Piano · In studio Rachel is great! She is patient and is willing to experiment with various teaching styles to ensure you are getting the most out of each lesson.
· Guitar · In studio That was my first guitar lesson in houston and I am not going to bother myself looking for guitar tutors anymore, I really enjoyed it. Rachel is an awesome tutor, she gives everything from inside her that makes you feel every single chord on guitar. Ofcourse i recommend everybody to take guitar lessons with Rachel