- Teaches students:
- Females 5+ and males 5 to 18
- Teaching since:
I have been playing the violin for 12 years and have taught lessons on and off for the last five years. I have a minor in music from BYU and have participated in several orchestra groups over the past several years. Right now, I play Violin II the Houston Sinfonietta. I love to play the violin and I love teaching children how to play this wonderful instrument.
*** Lesson Details ***
I teach 30 minute, 45 minute, and 1 hour lessons. (For students younger than 8 years of age, 30 minute or 45 minute lessons are recommended.) Each of my lessons is taught one-on-one in my home.
I teach a combination of the Suzuki Method and a traditional style. The Suzuki Method creates a strong technical foundation to build upon while also training the ear to work independently of note reading. I combine this method with a more traditional approach as I teach students to read music and sightread.
What to expect in a lesson:
- Learning to correctly hold the violin and bow with proper position
- Learning the names of notes and placement of fingers
- Note and rhythm training/reading; key and time signature training
- Ear training
- Beginning level Suzuki and traditional pieces
- Ensuring that proper positioning and posture is upheld
- Scale and rhythm training; key and time signature training
- Ear training
- Intermediate level Suzuki and traditional pieces
- Learning shifting exercises and vibrato
- Scale and rhythm training exercises/etudes
- Ear training
- Advanced level Suzuki pieces and/or traditional and other classical pieces
For the first lesson:
Beginners: Please bring your violin (appropriate for your size), bow, shoulder rest, and Suzuki volume 1.
Intermediate-Advanced: Please bring your violin, bow, shoulder rest, and your most recently performed/polished piece.
Parental involvement in younger students' lessons and at-home practicing is HIGHLY encouraged!
Very impressed with first lesson for my daughter. Rachel is patient, a good listener and an obviously highly talented, skilled musician who can also teach. My daughter came home energized, ready to practice and looking forward to future lessons.
Was wonderful. Rachel was very understanding and knowledgeable. She had a lot of patience. My daughter loves her and cannot wait for her next lesson.
Rachel is very Experienced and very patience in making understand what music is about and how it should be started for 6 years old girl....
Rachael over exceeded our expectations,she was very informative and patient with my son and myself and my son and I are very pleased with outcome of his first lesson. Thank You
My daughter was happy with the lesson!
My son came back really happy after his first class and said that the teacher was really nice!
Ms. Rachel was very helpful and knowledgeable.
Competent and knowledgable