- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
ABOUT PENNY R.
I graduated from college in Virginia with a Bachelor of Music Education degree as a voice major, and minored in piano and violin. My teaching certificate was for vocal, instrumental and general music, grades K - 12, and I graduated Magna Cum Laude.
Graduate school brought me to Indiana, where I earned a Masters of Music in Vocal Performance. Migrating up to the Chicago area from there, I taught at a private music school (voice and small ensembles, as well as many faculty performances) before staying at home to raise our children, and teaching voice lessons privately in my Studio. After 30 years of teaching, I'm still at it, and I still love it!
I am a Permanent Professional member of Music Teacher's National Association (MTNA), a National Certified Teacher of Music with the Illinois State Music Teacher's Association (ISMTA), a member of the West Suburban Chapter of ISMTA, as well as a member of National Association of Teachers of Singing. Most of my students are high school aged, but I have taught from ages seven through 70. My students regularly achieve MTNA's Music Achievement Award, are selected for District Choir and All-State Choir, as well as receive leading roles in high school and community musicals.
I believe that singing does something to words which nothing else can--it puts feelings to music. Everyone has feelings, and everyone can be musical. Those who pursue their vocal education can be rewarded with confidence in their ability to sing. The goal of my Studio is to promote the study of music, and to create a musical environment at each lesson so that every person's individual potential can become realized - all while having fun!
My Studio provides a nurturing environment for all singers, from beginning to advanced, children to adults. I will help you develop and maintain your vocal health, expand your vocal range, and develop your musicianship. You will learn to integrate a coordinated process of breath, pitch and tone, while exploring your vocal potential in a wide range of contemporary and classic musical styles. Teaching proper vocal technique is my primary goal with every student: fixing what is being used incorrectly, and enhancing what is already done well. I will work with you on any style of repertoire you desire: classical, opera, Broadway, jazz, folk, etc. I love it when a student wants a variety of song! And if your music theory skills are weak, we'll take care of that, too!
Children eighth grade and younger should sign up for half hour lessons; students high school and older should sign up for 45 minute lessons.
I am so excited to share the joy of making music with my new TakeLessons students! We get right into breathing, first thing. Once that is right, we can turn our attention to what's going on with the throat and mouth. All the while, we are learning songs by which we can practice whatever we're working on in the exercises. Everybody's different, with different tensions, both proper and antagonistic. We isolate the muscular tensions that are interfering with your perfect sound, and go from there!
*** Lesson Details ***
Come prepared to make a lot of noises with which you don't normally sing! We will explore every sound you are capable of - there's something to learn from most of them! Obviously, we'll concentrate on the ones we really want to sing with, while using a myriad of vocal exercises.
My studio brochure will explain many of the nuts and bolts of our lessons, and any expectations regarding practicing, keyboard ability and access, and how we work home practice when you don't know how to play piano. Generally, we spend about half the lesson time on warm ups/exercises, and half the time on songs. Sometimes we memorize them; sometimes we polish them; sometimes we just learn them quickly and move on to new things. Each lesson is a little different, depending on what I'm hearing from you that day.
I'm always happy to help you with school/church solos, audition material, choral parts, etc. Otherwise, we will choose repertoire together, taking into account your goals and interests, along with what makes good teaching material. Come join the fun and make some music!
*** Studio Equipment ***
My basement rec room serves as my teaching studio, so there are stairs with which to contend. Parents may stay either in the studio, or up in my living room to wait. The fully equipped studio contains a piano, audio-visual equipment for recording and play back, music stands, stools, a comfortable couch, and even a sink for quick water drinks! (Singing can make you thirsty!)
*** Specialties ***
In my 30+ years of teaching private lessons, I've amassed quite a toolbox of eclectic musical resources. That said, I still find muscle manipulative exercises while vocalizing to be the quickest route for most students to have success in building their long term voice. So I utilize those techniques frequently. With proper, healthy vocal production, a student can sing in any genre they choose. I am very concerned about producing a healthy voice with a free tone, particularly for children, so that all students can go forward into whatever style they choose with good vocal production.
Responsible for Early Childhood group music instruction for all Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten students. Plan, coordinate and execute all facets of the "Christmas Sing" performance, as well as end-of-year performances for parents. Occasionally substitute for the Church's Children's Choir director in rehearsals and church performances.
Responsible for all matters pertaining to vocal education for private students, including teaching proper vocal technique and vocal health, musicality, artistry, performance skills, music selection and recital/audition preparation.
Responsible for teaching private voice lessons and group lessons to all ages. Selected music and conducted rehearsals for solo and small vocal ensemble recitals. Was also faculty soprano soloist for all faculty performances.
A lifetime of performing, taking classes, receiving music degrees, attending music workshops and conferences, and submitting students for recitals.
Founded in 1944, National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. (NATS) is the largest professional association of teachers of singing in the world with more than 7,000 members worldwide.
The MTNA was founded in 1876 with the goal of advancing the value of music study and music-making to society while supporting the careers and professionalism of teachers of music. With nearly 22,000 members in 50 states—and more than 500 local affiliates—the MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers.
· Singing · In home Penny is fun at the lessons and very encouraging. For an older man who never had any confidence in my voice, she is making me believe I can learn to sing out loud.
· Singing · In home Penny is an awesome vocal instructor! I had absolutely wonderful time taking lessons from her. She is very knowledgeable, skilled, kind and encouraging. I became much more confident and skilled after our lessons. I highly recommend Penny to anyone!
· Singing · In studio Mrs. Rosenwinkel was one of the best music instructors I've ever had, and hands down the best vocal coach. She incorporated just the right balance of vocal exercises and performance songs into our lessons so that I could strengthen my voice and broaden my range while keeping the lessons very engaging and enjoyable for me. She was always very encouraging and I learned so much from her. I highly recommend her to anyone looking for a voice teacher.
· Singing · In home Very Good!! She really focuses on Technique
· Singing · In studio Penny is a fabulous teacher. With an emphasis on the technical aspects of proper voice form, she provides an excellent base to strengthen one's singing skills and appreciate those of others.
Penny is professional and very encouraging.
· Singing · In studio Very knowledgeable, extremely patient and works well with teens. Recommend!
· Singing · In studio Penny is an amazing instructor! She is 100% focused during every minute of your lesson! My 12 year old daughter has taken lessons with her for almost a year. She really focuses on technique which I feel is so important! I see progress in my daughter during every lesson!
· Singing · In home Penny is awesome. She's not only talented as a singer but talented as an instructor. Highly recommend!!
· Singing · In home Penny seems knowledgable and professional. She was very energetic and related well to my 13 year old daughter.
· Singing · In home I took lessons with Penny for about 4 years and it was the best thing I could have done for my vocal development. I have since moved to the west coast and am still sad, every week, that we don't have our lessons. My vocal technique and confidence increased dramatically because of our lessons.
Penny is gentle and kind, extremely focused, and I found her method of teaching worked very well for me. She is very meticulous, always observing quietly and adjusting the message so that you can absorb what you are ready for. She helps you to feel the sounds you are creating, to explore your vocal abilities in a safe way, pushing gently but never too much.
If you are lucky enough to be close to Penny, do try her classes!