Owen B. is a saxophonist based in New York City. He runs in a variety of musical circles, leading his own groups and participating in others. Owen’s jazz quintet, Cowboys & Frenchmen, has received critical acclaim for its 2015 release, Rodeo. He has performed with internationally respected jazz artists such as Ryan Truesdell’s Gil Evens Project and clarinetist Anat Cohen; he has traveled with The Temptations and The Four Tops, and opened for Grammy Award winner John Legend with his own soul band, Bitchin’ Kitchen; in musical theater, he was a member of the pit orchestras for the German tour of Grease and off-Broadway production For the Last Time, and appeared with the band in David Bowie’s Lazarus.
Owen holds a Bachelor's degree from the Eastman School of Music, and a Master's from the Manhattan School of Music.
*** Lesson Details ***
In our lessons, I will give you the necessary tools to work with repertoire we will choose together. I'll help you develop a strong foundation for us to build upon as we develop your musical talent in the directions your interests point us in.
*** Studio Equipment ***
In my home studio, I have speakers, a keyboard, music stands, and my recommended texts.
*** Specialties ***
I have extensive background in jazz, classical, and R&B music and am prepared to work with students with interests in each. I am also available to teach composition and arranging, as well as tutor in Finale music notation software.
• Teach saxophone to class of students, age 9
• Teach flute to class of students, age 9
• Created opportunities to perform solo and duet material for classmates
• Lessons incorporate sight reading, jazz improvisation, section playing
• Emphasis on establishing good physical habits related to posture and embouchure, and individual
and section sound
• Teach clarinet to two classes of students, ages 9 and 10
• Demonstrated quick thinking and problem solving by addressing on-the-fly concerns of band
director related to individual students
• Lessons incorporated solo and group performances of band repertoire, and expanding range
• Coach saxophone, clarinet, and flute sectionals of students, ages 9-14
• Instruct underserved children in basic performance and maintenance of instruments
• Provide classroom assistance, helping to maintain a structured and constructive learning
environment in full band rehearsals, and theory and music history classes