- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Othell J. Miller is a passionate & innovative professional artist/educator dedicated to meeting humanity's need for enlightening, empowering, and entertaining art. He has been seriously engaged in the art and craft of acting since a teen. Subsequently, he pursued two theater related degrees, the most recent being a MFA in Acting from Rutgers, Mason Gross School of the Arts.
He has taught Acting & Public Speaking for the last eighteen years, both on a collegiate and secondary school level. Moreover, he's acted in or directed numerous high quality theater productions.
Mr. Miller's primary objective as an artist/educator is to foster in others both self-awareness and a greater understanding of the human condition. He believes meaningful, technically sound arts' instruction aids in self-reflection & offers profound revelations about life.
He is most concerned with aiding actors in delivering authenticity on stage or on screen. Therefore, his work pushes the actor to develop a greater self awareness, a strong sense of truth, an ability to actively listen, and a bravery to connect with other actors and the circumstances of the script. Mr. Miller is also invested in the development and use of precise diction and a natural, confident, and compelling voice.
*Currently provide rigorous theater arts instruction for students in grades 7-12 at the Plainfield Academy for the Arts & Advanced Studies.
*Taught Public Speaking-Introduction to the theory and practice of public address; the study of representative public addresses and the preparation and delivery of short speeches.
*Taught Oral Performance of Literature-Introduced the presentational mode of interpreting literature with emphasis on the improvement and application of acting/vocal skills.
· Acting · Othell brings a mature artistry and a professional approach to his teaching style. He maintains high expectations for students and motivates them them to achieve their goals. Not only have I witnessed Othell's success in helping students to grow in theatre/acting, he inspires students' personal growth and confidence. As a director, his productions are thoughtful, relevant, and ambitious. I can only imagine how useful, effective, and enjoyable his one-on-one sessions would be!
· Acting · In studio Mr. Miller has a passion for acting and teaching and it is clear he loves doing both. He has been my acting instructor for 6 years and under his direction he has crafted my raw talent into a full fledged artistry. With him as my instructor he has helped me craft audition material that, after my execution, turned into an acceptance from two college level conservatories. I highly recommend Mr. Miller, his passion combined with his qualifiation will take your talent to the next level. You just have to want it!
· Acting · In studio Mr. Miller is an extraordinary teacher, mentor and communicator. His ability to engage, motivate and challenge young people is highly regarded. He encourages students to find their own voice through acting and public speaking. I have known him to support, guide and inspire students throughout high school and college; and in all areas of life. Mr. Miller is a phenomenal individual.
· Acting · In studio Mr. Miller is an outstanding teacher. He taught me so much about acting. Especially in my case, learning to find my voice and to look deeply into character motivation. I am a poet and playwright so he also helps me prepare to present myself as a spoken word poet and to prepare for when I am in the spotlight at various events with large audiences. He is kind and genuine in his analysis of my work. I recommend him to anyone looking to perfect their craft!
· Acting · In studio Othell is a gifted and passionate communicator, teacher, mentor, and artist. Othell is able to explain concepts in a simple and concise way that has made it easier for me to understand and improve upon my craft as an artist and individual. From my experience with him he is always sharing valuable information about life and always emphasizes ways to build character and better oneself. Under his guidance I have been purposefully challenged and sincerely encouraged.
· Acting · In studio It has been my pleasure to witness Othell Miller do what he does best. He has the incredible ability to capture the attention of young people, motivate through communication and take words off of paper and make them come to life on stage. He is a forward thinker with the ability to articulate wisdom and truth. He is a gift that will touch the lives of the young and the old for generations to comes.
· Acting · In studio I really appreciate Othell's authentic, insightful leadership. He is a very inspiring director. I have attended several performances led by him and am impressed with the quality of the performance by students. Their ability to perform beyond their "years" is a testament to Othell's leadership. His depth of knowledge and passion is impressive.
· Acting · In studio A great instructor who has helped me evolve as an actress. Under his instruction I had the opportunity to learn what a true actor is in the world of theater.
· Acting · In studio During my soptmore year in high school, I decided I wanted to be an actor. So I took an acting class under Othell and after spending Three years of under his guidance, I started to realize a major consistent growth. I had a far better understanding of acting techniques, and phonetics which is the study and classification of speech sounds. While training under Mr. Miller at the Plainfield Academy for the Arts and Advanced Studies, he gradually guided me through the process of character development, speech, and script analysis. Othell is not only a great instructor, but he is also a great mentor. When I graduated high school I was only accepted into one college drama program which was not one of my top choices. Othell encouraged me to find some new audition materials and come back to see him so we can work on the scripts. Almost every day we worked on the audition pieces, and he helped me find a genuine connection to my characters. When the hard work was done I performed my audition pieces and I got accepted into my number two school of choice; Pace University BFA Acting. Speaking from experience I admit that Othell miller is a very wise as well as knowledgeable instructor. Whether you spend thirty minutes or an hour with him, I guarantee you will leave with some food of knowledge. I personally always consult with Othell miller when I’m in need of guidance.
· Acting · In studio Mr. Miller is an expert in his field. He enjoys assisting students with reaching their potential as both actors and individuals and excels at demonstrating how students can apply the skills they hone in his courses to their work on the stage and in their daily lives. He provides constructive, thoughtful, and encouraging feedback to his students, and he demonstrates an exceptional knowledge of his craft. Mr. Miller is willing to work with any student and is enthusiastic about his work. I would highly recommend Mr. Miller as a teacher. Students who are enthusiastic about Acting or Public Speaking and willing to challenge themselves will take away a good deal from working with this instructor.