- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Music is almost more than a passion for me, it's how I hear the world! That guy singing the harmony to the crosswalk jingle? That's me.
Though my love for music began long before I ever picked up an instrument, I began taking guitar lessons at age 10. By age 12 I was writing music and by 13 I played my music at my first talent show with my band. In high school I started studying piano and voice, and performed with the Guitar Program, Jazz Ensemble and Men's Choir. I played solo and with multiple bands, playing rock, acoustic, jazz, rock, metal and classical guitar.
After High School I spent a year studying music at University of Oregon. Though I enjoyed my time at U of O, I left the next year and moved to Boston to study at the prestigious Berklee College of Music, where I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Music in Film Scoring. While at Berklee, I studied with some of the most acclaimed musicians in the country, studying jazz, arranging, contemporary composition, music production, songwriting and more. After graduating I moved to Los Angeles, where I worked on multiple feature films as a composer's assistant, copyist, music editor and music supervisor. After some time in LA, I decided to relocate to Portland and enroll in Berklee's online Masters Certificate in Music Business and Technology, which I completed in 2013.
Currently, I'm an active composer for film, Television and video games. Though you won't see me performing on stage as often, I'm very often performing and recording myself and other performers in my home studio!
Music can be a great hobby or a path to a fulfilling career - either way, it's a lot of fun!
*** Lesson Details ***
I teach students of all ages! I'm very easy-going, and I'm more than happy to teach what the students want to learn at their own pace - after all, we're here to learn and have FUN!
That being said, I do expect some level of practicing or studying. It's all part of the gig!
During our first lesson, we'll go over what the student's goals are and what styles of music the student is interested in. I use a combination of books, listening, and custom assignments tailored to the student's specific needs.
In the first 3-6 months:
Beginners can expect to have basic knowledge of the instrument and technique, and begin looking at songs incorporate techniques addressed in our lessons.
Intermediate students can expect to address any problematic areas in their technique and begin looking at stretching their understanding of theory and technique into new areas.
I now offer optional lesson "report cards" to students and parents who would like to see how our lessons are progressing!
*** Studio Equipment ***
In-Studio lessons take place in a home studio office, complete with full size electric piano, recording equipment and plenty of room for parents to sit in on the lessons! Parking is plentiful for most of the day.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I expect students to have their own instrument and copy of lesson material including notes and books. I can provide lesson material while students wait to purchase their own.
*** Specialties ***
Basic to Intermediate Piano.
Advanced Music Theory and Orchestration.
Genres include Contemporary Styles (Pop, Blues, Country, Funk, Rock) Jazz, and Classical
Teaching private piano lessons to all ages and skill levels!
Music for film, television and video games.
Teaching private guitar lessons to all ages and skill levels! Experience includes tutoring at the Tigard High School Guitar Program.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Piano · In studio We are loving working with Nick. He is teaching both me (mom) and my daughter (age 6) in beginner piano. He has a great way of teaching so it's not overwhelming, but we feel like we progress each week. He's calm and kind and very well educated in his craft. Highly recommended!
· Piano · In studio Nick is very professional, kind, and courteous. In our first consultation meeting, he was very interested in assessing my skill level and seeing how he could best help me. He was a joy to meet, and a pleasure to talk with.
However, I am taking a star off because he didn't seem prepared to teach a student at the mid-intermediate level. I wouldn't have taken this star off if he would have shown the initiative to discover my experience level before our first lesson (a 30 minute phone interview probably would have been a good idea). At the time, he didn't have any content that fit what I was hoping for.
Because of this reason, I didn't pursue any further lessons with him. However, based on what I saw and the level of professionalism, I would recommend him to people who are just beginning or are in the developing stages of learning how to play the piano. He seemed to be teaching the perfect mix of theory and practice, which is a must!
· Piano · In studio I am an adult beginner. Nick is patient, encouraging, and very professional. Assignments are challenging but his instructions help me succeed.
· Piano · In studio Nick is an outstanding piano teacher and has taught my 15yo son so much in a few months. We are impressed with his technique and professional manner, and would highly recommend him for children (or adults) of any age.
· Piano · In studio Nick is knowledgable and talented -- and an excellent teacher.
· Piano · In studio First lesson was a great experience. Nick is very knowledgable on his subject, and he was patient with my daughter. He engaged with her at her experience leve.
· Piano · In home Nick is a wonderful piano teacher for our daughter. My husband and I have seen a vast improvement in the quality of her piano skills in comparison to her lessons with her previous teacher. We are equally impressed with how Nick keeps our daughter engaged in the lesson and his patience as she learns new material and techniques. Nick has also been very flexible with our schedule as we have unfortunately had to cancel and reschedule more than once-to his credit he has always been understanding. We highly recommend him!
· Piano · In studio Nick has been an excellent and informative teacher. I'm an older student with a hectic schedule, and he has been more than accommodating. Nick strives to really connect with his students and tailors the experience to their mindset and feelings. I feel stronger as a piano player after every lesson, which is the result I believe most people are looking for.
· Piano · In home cut last lesson short then cancelled future lessons via email because we preferred every other week lessons instead of weekly lessons. instructional content good, just poor customer service and interpersonal skills.
· Piano · In studio Fantastic teacher with great patience and understanding for first time young children.