Welcome! I am a full-time violin/viola teacher from New York and a registered member of the Suzuki Association of the Americas. I am an active performer of contemporary and classical music, and my commitment is to instill my students with both a passion for playing music and a strong technical foundation.
My teaching method is tailored to each student's individual learning style and motivation for playing. The first question I will ask at every first lesson is: what music do you love? This can be one song - a nursery rhyme, classical melody, or popular song - or a genre of music. Regardless of age, I believe that the most effective path for learning violin or viola is to start with the music!
For younger children, I suggest beginning with the Suzuki method in order to establish strong musical and technical fundamentals. The Suzuki curriculum is often chosen across music programs in New York, providing beginning violinists an opportunity to play music with their peers. I also teach the Mark O'Connor method, which specializes in American folks song. For adolescents and adults, I place an earlier emphasis on designing a curriculum based on their musical interests, with equal focus devoted to technique. I also teach improvisation at the beginning stages to all students to encourage free musical expression.
Students with experience playing violin or viola are absolutely welcome. Students are encouraged to perform what they have worked on at the annual studio recital at Ripley Grier Studios, which will include a piano accompanist. Feel free to contact TakeLessons with any questions!
· Violin · Online Great lesson! It was our first and Nicholas was right on task with our son as well as encouraging!
· Viola · In studio I'm an adult learning Viola for the first time. Nicholas makes each of his classes fun, he's very encouraging and helpful. I'm always looking forward to my next viola class!
· Violin · Online Great teacher,warm and friendly. Highly recommended especially to twins and teens.
· Violin · Online Nicholas has a unique way of teaching and the result so far has been fantastic. Cyrus respect him and gets motivated after each class to do better.
· Violin · In home As helpful as they come, Nick has bent over backwards to make sure our 6-yr-old daughter was outfitted with the right violin and bow. As an absolute beginner when she began a couple of months ago, she's impressing us now with her new skills.
· Violin · In studio Instructor/Teacher/Friend; I do not know where to begin with this tutor of music from The Celestial Spheres. He is my own Orphic Music Instructor. In that he 'Inspires", and makes one want to practice and go with him! It's a conception easily understood, once you get going with him in learning. And if you know? Well! You'll know far more. And this can be said on all levels.
I don't know if these comments are actually looked at or reviewed in some way, but he's a raw talent in many ways, and I can see for All ages :)
· Violin · In home A lovely teacher! Very patient, understanding, non-judgmental and thorough. Also very flexible with his timing. He's a keeper!
· Violin · In home very reliable teacher. I'm so glad Nicholas took this job. He is an asset...Keep the good job. Thank you for everything.
· Viola · In home I was really nervous about playing my viola again after 10 years off, and feeling awkward taking lessons as an adult. Nick immediately put me at ease. He made me feel really good about what I did remember, and gently pushed me to work on what I didn't. He was happy to work with the materials I still had from high school, brought along props to help with my form, and even helped me get a new bow. His flexibility and easy-going attitude truly made picking back up enjoyable. I never felt judged if I didn't have time to practice as much as I should have, and LOVED that he played along with me sometimes! Did I mention he's an incredibly talented and creative composer, too? I ended up hiring him to play at my wedding in July. At the last minute, my husband and I decided we wanted the Mario Brothers theme song for our recessional, and he composed a lovely version for viola and cello duet. Amazing!
· Violin · In home Nick was great with my young child! He was always willing to accommodate and work with us to meet his needs. He is a skilled musician and is very professional. He was always on time and flexible when I had to reschedule. I highly recommend him for private in-home lessons.