My name is Nathan I am a 31 year old husband and father of 3. My wife and I have been teaching music since 2007.
I am an experienced teacher of guitar, drums, and trumpet. My students range from age 6-60.
All lessons will be held at our home studio in Aurora, CO. Our home was built as a recording studio and it's perfect for lessons. Our dedicated, sound-proofed, teaching room includes a large viewing window so the student can be seen by parents while they wait without causing unnecessary distractions for the student. No drop-offs, please.
My teaching methods are based 100% on the student's abilities.
Here is a brief look at what lessons with Nathan B. will look like.
*** Lesson Details ***
Beginning players- I prefer to teach from the Hal Leonard book series. This is a great start for most students. I teach the string-by-string approach using simple songs to start. Your first lesson will be a combination of reading notes on a page and reading chords on a chord chart. You will come out of the lesson learning at least 3 notes and one chord. Weekly goals are set and a practice routine is discussed.
Intermediate players- After a quick assessment of your abilities we will discuss your future goals as a player. We could pursue classical guitar with additional lessons in note reading and fingering methods, or we could focus more on chords and strum patterns if you prefer to sing and play your favorite artists.
Advanced players- this is where it gets fun. We go where you want to go. I will provide guidance based on your strengths and weaknesses. We will choose music that can display your strengths, and challenge your weaknesses. Remember, there's always someone better than you!
Beginning players- All of my lessons follow my own, proven teaching method. All lessons take place with the student at the drum kit playing 90% of the time. I approach all drum lessons beat-by-beat always with a metronome. My goal for the first lesson is to teach at least one basic pattern. We progress through a series of hundreds of different drum patterns that become increasingly more difficult. Every week is a new opportunity to practice clean technique and improve internal timing.
Intermediate players- After a brief assessment of your abilities we will begin discussing concepts of pattern construction. You will start coming up with of your own patterns and ideas. I will provide guidance for more complex fills and I will give tips to help you figure out the right groove for the right song. Every week is a new opportunity to add another tool to your kit.
Advanced players- come and teach ME something! I'm still working on super triplets and sextuplets in 5/4 time :-)
I also teach trumpet at beginner and intermediate levels. I have prepared many students for tryout pieces (solo, regionals, chair placement, etc). I also am experienced in tone improvement, endurance studies, range extension, and accuracy improvement. I use many different method books, but I prefer Arbans and Clarks.
*** Studio Equipment ***
5 piece Pearl kit- full cymbals. Beginner half sized kit upon request.
Guitar- bring your own acoustic.
Trumpet- bring your own.
Chairs, stands, and some music provided.
Hal Leonard method book required for beginning guitar students.
*** Specialties ***
Acoustic guitar- Christian Praise&Worship, classical picking and positions, strum patterns.
Drums- 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, quarters, eights, sixteenths. Rock, funk, ballad, pop.
Trumpet- range, endurance, flexibility.
Teaching private students in my home studio.
In home lessons in and around Denver, CO. At one point I was teaching 15 students a week.
· Trumpet · In studio Made lesson to my level (beginner) but geared to adult intetest
· Guitar · In studio My son likes a lot! Recommend!
· Guitar · In home Great teacher very patient and explains everything well. Willing to take time to show every step as many times as needed.
· Trumpet · In studio My is 12 and I can tell Nathan has worked children in the past, he is very patient. On the other hand, Nathan does not give false praise, which I appreciate. He is straight and honest, and my son seems to connect with him.
· Drum · In studio Nathan is a great instructor. My son is 5 years old and had a little trouble at first getting used to taking lessons. Nathan was able to adapt the lessons to my son's needs and he's really enjoying it.
Nathan has a great house for learning. The lessons are held downstairs in a room that has been converted to a recording studio. You access the studio directly from the front door, so you don't feel like you are walking into someone's home, you feel like you are going into a professional recording studio (because you are).
Because he teaches multiple instruments, there are a lot of them hanging around - guitars, electric pianos, etc. This really makes the space feel "musical" and conducive to learning.
It's great that Nathan has two drum sets in his house and my son can play along with him.
I'm really glad we found TakeLessons.com and Nathan in particular.
· Drum · In studio I am so impressed with Nathan and his ability to work with young children and instruments. First off, he is amazingly skilled in so many different instruments and second, he is very good with teaching those skills in a easy-to-learn way to children. My son is 7 years old and learning the drums. With only three lessons, he can perform a basic 8 count rhythm using both hands and the base with his foot with no prior experience. Nathan is very patient, firm when necessary, and inspiring when he plays. My son is always excited to learn more from him!
· Trumpet · In studio He is understanding and an amazing, patient and calm teacher. I wouldn't want any other teacher.