- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Hello! I teach private violin lessons for beginners and intermediate students of all ages. I have been teaching violin for over 15 years. I love working with children of all ages and also specialize in working with adult beginning students. If you have always wanted to learn, now is the time! No previous experience is necessary-- just a passion for music!
NOTE: My availability is somewhat flexible. Please contact me to set up a time that works!
I am thorough and easy to work with. I use a combination of classical techniques and a hint of Suzuki method along with lots and lots of patience, creativity and encouragement.
About me: I am a classically trained violinist with over 20 years of experience and a diverse musical background. I've performed with the University Orchestra and the UT Opera Society at the University of Texas (where I went to school), several string quartets and many bands: folk, country, rock, experimental, pop and Mariachi to name a few. I periodically tour with bands nationally and internationally. I'm also a singer/songwriter. Additionally, I taught violin in the Mariachi program at Linder Elementary school for grades 2nd-5th for 3 years.
Equipment: I provide a stand and metronome at lessons and students just need to bring their violin and any books and accessories I assign for purchase.
For beginners, I generally start off with the Essential Elements book and/or Suzuki Method and then branch out from there. After the basics are established, students are welcome to bring their own music and ideas to the table as we continue to build a classical foundation. For middle/high school students who need extra help with their school orchestra, solo or UIL music we can make room for that too.
For those who live outside of Portland, I also offer video chat lessons via Skype/Google Hangouts/Facetime, which I've had a great success rate with and is really easy and convenient to use. In town students can also set up occasional video chat lessons anytime they feel like scheduling one (ig rainy days, limited transportation etc.)
I have been a self employed violin teacher for over 15 years. Over the years I have gotten to work with so many awesome students, from kids as young as 4 to adults in their 60's.
I taught the violin section for the Linder Elementary School Mariachi program. We are Austin's only elementary-aged Mariachi group. Our group has performed at events around Austin and has been featured on local news stations. We also did a summer camp.
I worked with Girls Rock Camp Austin for 3 years. Girls Rock Austin is a camp that empowers young females through music. Campers learn how to play an instrument, form a band and attend workshops on art, music history, self defense etc.
· Violin · Online Loved it!
· Violin · In studio My first lesson went well, you can ask her anything. Awesome experience so far, i look forward to working hard toward playing the violin. With Naomi you can tell she wants to help you to succeed. Happy learning and practicing.
· Violin · In studio Naomi is so sweet! I really enjoyed my first lesson with her and looking forward to have more.
· Violin · Online Great experience so far. I am looking forward to learning.
· Violin · In studio I asked Joshua Bell (one of the greatest violinist of our time) about how to be a great violinist? To which he responded by saying: "Find a really good teacher, one who pushes you and cares for your success."
I would not be exaggerating by saying Naomi is one of those teachers.
I've been taking lessons for almost 4 years and Naomi has been nothing but supportive, cheerful, energetic, focused and dedicated to finding even the minutest mistake. Naomi has tirelessly pointed out even the slightest of out of tune notes; and she demands perfection before moving on to next lesson. She focuses on fundamental over frills; and she really cares for the success of her students.
She has always pushed me and motivated me in many creative ways to practice and be better at violin. I am going to continue taking lessons with her and would highly recommend Naomi.
· Violin · In studio Naomi is an excellent teacher. She is patient, kind, and won't blow you off if you have a question. In the 2 years that she was my teacher, she has taught me a lot about the violin, which techniques to use, how to tune my instrument, and much more. If you want to learn the violin, take her as your teacher! You won't regret it :)
· Violin · In studio I was totally a beginner in Violin when I started my lessons with Naomi. She is a very patient and loving teacher, taught me how to hold bow correctly, with a lot of helpful practice and encouragement, which is really helpful to beginners who know nothing. She always tried her best to help me to master the skills, a lot of observation and correction, also encouragement. When I first started, I never expect to keep learning for over a year. Then five years later, I found myself still enjoy the lesson and playing violin. Due to some personal reasons, I have to give up my violin lesson. But my five years experience of learning violin is like a difficult but fun journey, and Naomi is there to keep me on the track and make the journey even more enjoyable.
Yes, I highly recommend Naomi to be your violin teacher!
· Violin · In studio Naomi is a great violin teacher. She is very attentive, experienced and energetic.
I took lessons from her with one of my friend for about 4 years. We were both beginners and start our lesson when we were 30 something. Did not expect to last more than one year. (Due to our laziness...) At the end, the lesson was something to look forward to every week and I only stop taking lessons because I move out of Austin.
I highly recommend her to be your violin teacher. You will have a fun time too.
· Violin · In studio Naomi is a welcoming and thorough teacher. She took time with me at the start of my lessons, to gauge exactly where I was in technique and also what bad habits needed to be re-directed. She is very patient but consistent on the techniques that need to be practiced and accomplished. Her expertise is extensive and she plays may genres of music so would be an excellent teacher for people interested in areas other than classical. But as the basics are the same in all, she makes sure one is well grounded in those first. I really enjoyed my lessons with here and though personal circumstances dictated that I cease for the time being, I would really love to be able to have her as a teacher again.