- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I attended the Berklee School of Music in Boston, and I have a BA in Music. I am a working pro musician, regularly playing all different kinds of gigs with different bands, as well as solo, and regular gigs on TV. I have taught music lessons, and guitar in particular, for 18 years. I play all styles, but my favorites are Rock, R&B, Country, Rockabilly, and Blues (I also enjoy playing jazz, classical, and other styles as well). My main instruments are guitar (electric and acoustic) and voice, but I play keyboards, bass, mandolin, and drums also.
*** Lesson Details ***
I focus on a comprehensive approach, incorporating each student's natural abilities as well as musical interests - whether you want to learn how to play your favorite songs, learn all the skills to play with a band, or study music theory and advanced songwriting techniques, I can teach you! From playing as a hobby or to entertain friends and family to advanced college-level topics, we can cover whatever your specific goals are. Also, with student interest, I like to focus on music theory, and a deeper understanding of how songs/music work - in other words, rather than just teaching a student a song and being done with it, I like to focus on how and why the music works as it does, to enable students to put their own spin/style on it, play it in different keys, etc. I teach all skill levels, from brand-new beginners to advanced players.
Several of many possible topics of study include:
• Lead and rhythm styles and techniques -- both are essential to learn!
• How to play solos and how to improvise
• Styles and techniques of your favorite musicians/songwriters
• Playing by ear and how to learn songs just by listening to them
• Playing to accompany yourself or someone else singing
• Developing parts and techniques to play with other musicians
• Songwriting, and how to create riffs, hooks, and chord progressions
• Reading chord charts
• Music reading -- Optional, not at all essential to playing music, but a good skill to have
My teaching style is friendly and good-natured, I believe in positive encouragement and feedback, and don't believe in "guilt-tripping" or any other negativity toward students - playing music should be fun! I also love when students ask questions - I operate under the old saying that "there are no stupid questions!"
*** Studio Equipment ***
Amplifier, music stand, computer with internet connection (for playback of songs from the internet or CDs)
*** Travel Equipment ***
I provide blank manuscript/chord chart/tab paper. I expect the student to provide their own instrument (along with any related things such as amplifiers, guitar picks, strings, etc.) and to provide study books that we agree upon (if necessary). I am able to supply books if the student reimburses me at the time they receive them.
*** Specialties ***
I tailor my teaching style to each student's aptitudes and interests. All music students learn differently, and it's my challenge as a music teacher to figure out what works best for each individual student to inspire them and to keep them excited and motivated about learning an instrument.
Bachelor's Degree in Music
· Singing · In studio Mr. Mike T is very patient. He was very welcoming and made my son feel very comfortable at our first lesson. I appreciate his kindness and understanding in dealing with beginners. Can't wait for the next lesson! Thank you Mr. Mike 😉
· Guitar · Highly recommended: Amazing teacher!
Mike is a patient, supportive and incredibly talented teacher. From music theory to practical application, he's got all the answers... And he makes learning fun!
I took guitar lessons more than ten years ago and found it frustrating and I was terribly uninspired. Recently I took my old guitar out of mothballs and was determined to make some progress on the dang thing. A good friend recommended Mike and I've been taking lessons for nine months with him.
What's great about Mike is that he customizes my lessons. I'm not learning out of a book (which, I could if wanted) but I'm learning the songs that I love and learning the theory behind the chords, too. Then he keeps building on what we just learned. I go home from my hour lessons and play for another two hours because I'm so inspired.
I can't recommend Mike highly enough. He's a gem of a music instructor in the concrete jungle of Los Angeles.