- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Helping my students find the spark that inspires them is important, but fundamentals won't be ignored!
Jazz, classical, rock, funk, R&B, or whatever your style, we can run with it.
- Teaches students:
- Females 12+ and males 12 to 90
- Teaching since:
A semi-finalist in the 2013 Thelonious Monk International Jazz Saxophone Competition, Mike has emerged as a leading up-and-coming voice in jazz today. Releasing 2 studio albums of original compositions with co-leader Josh Moshier, Mike’s groups have been featured on NPR’s nationally syndicated program Jazz Set with Dee Dee Bridgewater. The group has toured throughout the U.S. and South America showcasing their talents. Mike’s composition Jambo won the 2008 International Jazz Composers Symposium’s Best Small Group Composition award. He has been a featured artist with pop & Motown icons including The Temptations and Guster. Mike’s latest project, the Drive Trio, features Grammy award winning bassist Clark Sommers and Jon Deitemyer.
Mike received his B.M. in Jazz Studies and Economics from Northwestern University in 2007, where he studied with saxophone under Frederick L. Hemke and John Wojciechowski, and he is currently pursuing a MM in music at USC, studying with Bob Mintzer.
AS A LEADER/CO-LEADER
• Drive Trio – eclectic jazz-rooted trio performing Mike’s original compositions
o Featuring Grammy-winning bassist (Kurt Elling, Dana Hall) and drummer Jon Deitemyer (Patricia Barber, Matt Ulery)
o Venues included Chicago’s Constellation and Jerry’s
• Moshier-Lebrun Collective
o JazzSet With Dee Dee Bridgewater (NPR) - Profiled, live recording (2/22/2011) at from Chicago’s Jazz Showcase, nationally syndicated broadcast.
o Domestic and international touring artist performing original compositions, including:
• Featured performance in Bogota, Colombia - Luis Angel Arango concert series (5/1/2013)
• Performance and residencies at venues including Jazz Showcase (Chicago), Green Mill (Chicago), Twin’s Jazz Club (Washington D.C.), Andy’s Jazz Club (Chicago), Anna’s (San Francisco).
• Two-time feature presenter at Chamber Music America convention (New York, New York)
o January 2011 premiere: Josh Moshier's Chamber Music America-commissioned "Studs Terkel Project" at the Chicago Cultural Center, hailed by the Chicago Tribune as "a work of considerable lyric grace and compositional forethought" and "a leap forward."
o Band members have included Josh Moshier, John Moulder, Clark Sommers, John Tate, Jon Deitemyer, Scott Burns, Jeremy Cunningham, Max Krucoff, Robert Meier, Charlie Kirchen, Jeff Greene.
AS A JAZZ SIDEMAN
• Featured artist with Nia Quintet, Bobby Broom, S’Pocket, Bob Perna’s Persistance, Alan Gresik, Rosetta Quintet, Luke Angle Quartet, Rick Shandling’s Jazz Coalition.
• Chicago Civic Orchestra –2015 Performance at Chicago South Shore Cultural Center
• Featured artist with pop & Motown icons, including The Temptations, Guster.
• Regular performer with Funk and R&B groups including The Heard, Swamp Heat.
• Orchestra musician on Royal Caribbean, playing saxophones, flute, and clarinet.
• Winner – International Jazz Composer’s Symposium – Best Small Group Composition (2008). Panel of judges: Jim McNeely, Bill Holman, and Stephon Harris
• Released two recordings of original compositions. (see Discography)
• Recorded Original Compositions:
o Falling Down (2015)
o Candlelight (2015)
o Adrift (2013)
o We Will Go And…(2012)
o Jambo (2010)
o The Second Handers (2010)
o Eleven Toe Waggle (2010)
o Finally Done, Still Frustrated (2010)
o Sleepwalking (2010)
o Misfortunately Pleasant (2010)
o Sandance (2007)
o For Kenny (2o07)
Mike taught me everything I know about playing the jazz saxophone. He came to every lesson with great energy and always made me excited about the music with novel ideas for exercises and just the right balance of fun and rudiments. I am not a professional musician, and may never rely on the saxophone for income, but Mike has given me a very deep and permanent appreciation for the music. Thanks to Mike, jazz and the saxophone will always be parts of my life. I cannot recommend him enough as an educator.+ Read More