- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Bonjour tout le monde ! (Hello everyone!)
My name is Mikayla and I cannot wait to meet and teach you my favorite language and life's passion. I have been speaking French for over 10 years now and I have loved it since day one. I earned my Bachelors in French and Francophone Studies with a minor in European History from San Diego State University in 2014, lived and worked as and English and French teacher in Nîmes (south of France) and I now live in Lyon where I am working on my masters FLES (teaching French as a second language).
I customize my lessons to my students, so whatever be your goal in learning French, I will create specific curriculum just for you. French is just as much about language as it is culture. This means we won't just discuss syntax and grammar but we will also talk about the differences between the cultures and how it connects to our respective languages. And, should you like, we can talk about the history of France and its surrounding countries.
I like to keep my lessons fun and interactive and I pull resources from many different places. Currently the books I'm using for instruction are: Latitudes, Adosphere, Alter Ego, Tex's French Grammar, Liberté, and Supermax (for kids). I also use many online exercises, songs, videos, and articles to supplement for listening and reading exercises.
Because I live in France, it may appear that my availability isn't all that great -- please note that I am very flexible and I am certain that we could work something out. If this is the case please contact me with times you were hoping to do.
Don't hesitate with any questions !
À bientôt ! (see you soon)
Here is an article I wrote for the TakeLessons blog if you'd like to check it out ! http://takelessons.com/blog/fall-in-france-z04
Internship at a private French language school in Nîmes, France. Teaching beginning and intermediate French classes as well as phonetics. Goal is to help non-native speakers integrate into French society with a sufficient level of French to be able to find work or be comfortable with communicating in France (FLI - Français langue d'integration).
Private English lessons in Nimes and Lyon, France.
Taught English classes to French students in elementary schools in Nîmes, France.
Taught second grade math and science to a homeschooled 8 year old boy.
Teaching assistant to EUROP 101 Introduction to European History.
Diploma awarded by the French Ministry of Education to prove French language skills to non French candidates. Levels based off of the Council of Europe' s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). C1 equates to advanced proficiency with only one level above C2 which shows complete mastery and fluency.
The Phi Beta Kappa Society celebrates and advocates excellence in the liberal arts and sciences. Its campus chapters invite for induction the most outstanding arts and sciences students at America’s leading colleges and universities. The Society sponsors activities to advance these studies — the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences — in higher education and in society at large.
Phi Kappa Phi's mission is "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."
· French · Online Mikayla is an absolutely amazing teacher!! I enrolled my 10 year old daughter in Take Lessons during the summer of 2016 to prepare her for a new private school atmosphere. Honestly, I was hesitant, this was her first time being exposed to a second language. I'm happy to say, Mikayla helped her rise to the occassion! She is not only excelling in her class but she is speaking French fluently and confidently volunteering for roles in various plays at her school. She is currently one of the top students in her class and is always eager to share her week with Mikayla to be challenged with new goals. We will continue our journey with Mikayla as long as my daughter continues to master the love and language of the French Culture. We highly recommend taking lessons with Mikayla!!!
· French · Online Mikayla is wonderful and I'm really enjoying our lessons! She makes learning French fun and easy to understand and follow along. I'm excited to continue working with her to learn the French language!
· French · Online
· French · Online Great teacher with wonderful patience for this struggling beginner student!
· French · Online Our first lesson was awesome! Mikayla listened, guided, and I feel is preparing to take me to the next level. Can't wait for our next lesson.
· French · Online Awesome first day!
· Grammar · Online Mikayla is a great teacher. She has helped an old hard headed person like myself to improve the grammar and spelling in my work emails. In all of my life I never thought grammar would be fun but somehow she made it fun even for me. With every class, I gain confidence in my writing and spelling skills. Before starting my lessons with her, I tried to keep my work emails to one sentence statements, and would respond to most emails and text-messages with a phone call. Not anymore, I do not have any fears of replying to emails with a long detailed statement. If Mikayla can help an old slow person like myself, imagine what she could do for you or your child.
· French · Online This is our fourth week with Mikayla. As a mom, I can already tell a difference in my son's ability to make english to French connection. His confidence is up supremely in class and most importantly, he seems to be enjoying learning the language more. Working with Mikayla is something my son looks forward to weekly. Incorporating lessons with her has greatly improved my son's success in French class. I only wish we had incorporated lessons with her sooner. Extremely satisfied!!
· French · Online I have been taking French lessons with Mikayla for the past 10 months. She has been an excellent teacher and has tailored her lessons perfectly to fit my speed of learning and specific interests. Her lessons are clear, fun, and challenging. She is very personable and friendly, but won't hesitate to correct you on a missed liaison or forgotten conjugation. I've been living in Paris for the past 6 months and and have had my pronunciation complimented many times as a result. In addition to learning the language, she has helped me understand French culture and mannerisms to help ease the transition into a new country. I would highly recommend Mikayla as a teacher to anyone and look forward to my continued lessons with her in the future.
· French · Online First lesson and already feeling Confident!! Totally recommend Mikayla! Great personality!!!