- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Michael is an active guitarist and music educator based in Los Angeles, and is available for in-home, in-studio, and online lessons. He holds music degrees from The University of Texas at Austin (BM) and the University of Southern California (MM), where he is currently engaged in doctoral studies in classical guitar performance. In addition to his performance endeavors, Michael is pursuing an academic field of study in Music Teaching and Learning. As a Teaching Assistant at USC's Thornton School of Music, he has led beginning group guitar classes, taught applied lessons for non-majors and undergraduate music minors, and coached chamber music and sight-reading classes for performance majors. Michael has extensive experience working with young people and adult learners, from new players to those with a background in guitar who want to strengthen their technique or finally begin that piece they have always wanted to learn.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Michael is, hands down, one of the best teachers that I've ever had in my life (not just in guitar...and I've had a lot of teachers in undergrad and multiple grad schools lol.)
I came into my first lesson pretty convinced that guitar would be next to impossible to learn, but Michael was so off-the-charts positive and brimming with enthusiasm each lesson that I soon became super excited about learning. Michael is so wickedly smart and his knowledge base is so deep, that he's basically giving PhD level instructions tailored to rank beginners as myself.
It's also really cool that he's able to spot all my subconscious nuances and areas for improvement and then create mini-exercises to help me become aware of them and correct them. I've been able to progress from learning simple pieces to now memorizing page-long pieces.
Long music piece short: Best guitar teacher in LA!
· Classical Guitar · In studio While I have studied with other music teachers in the past, Michael is truly one of a kind. Not only is he extremely talented, but he also does a great job of translating his own expertise and passion for guitar to his students. He knows how to help students pinpoint our weak spots and improve them both musically and technically. Taking lessons with Michael makes the time fly by as he is incredibly nice, welcoming, easy to be around, and most importantly a wonderful instructor. I am very lucky to have worked with him.
· Classical Guitar · In studio While I had played classical guitar when I was younger, I hadn't played for over 6 years when I took Michael's class -- however, in one semester, I went from not knowing where each note placed on the fret to comfortably being able to play the carcassi etudes, ending with etude No. 7. Michael was patient and yet pushed me to practice more and strive harder every week -- and it paid off in the most rewarding way. I cannot recommend him enough.
· Classical Guitar · In studio Michael is an excellent teacher. I had zero music knowledge and zero performance skills. Before I met Michael, I had always been struggling to find a passionate guitar instructor who could guide me in learning guitar from basics of reading notes through strumming and fingerstyle playing. I started learning playing the guitar from him a couple of months ago, in a beginners course at USC, and now I can play "Melancholia", "Allegro", "Eleanor Rigby", "Norwegian Wood", "The boy of summer" and many more songs. Michael is professional, friendly, passionate, systematic and organized. Highly recommended!
· Classical Guitar · Michael is one of the most knowledgeable and masterful music teachers that I've ever had. I had a chance to take a finger style guitar class with him at USC. His teaching method is extremely practical and helpful to the extent that any student even non-music major students can benefit from it and also enjoy the class. He has perfect time management and he knows very well how to work with beginners. I absolutely recommend taking class with Michael and I am sure every student in his class recommend him most enthusiastically.
Most importantly, Michael is extremely friendly, good natured, and encouraging to the extent that any eager student can achieve their guitar goals.
· Classical Guitar · In studio I have been fortunate enough to have been taking lessons from Michael for two years now at the university level and can say he is an exceptional teacher. Not only is he patient, taking the student where he or she is at, but he is also very skilled in identifying what the student should practice. He is an expert at helping players develop strong technique, and has a great ear for helping strengthen their musical ideas. While a great teacher is an integral part of becoming a better player, the student also must practice what is taught; here Michael excels at helping students develop good practicing habits by teaching various practicing methods during lessons. Most importantly, Michael is extremely friendly, good natured, and encouraging to the extent that any eager student can achieve their guitar goals.