- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
I am Melodie, a highly experienced private lesson teacher of voice, piano, and theory. Do not sign up with me until after you read my profile. I am accepting new adult students for my residential studio, which is a high second floor walk-up near Ashland and Chicago. Schedule-As-You-Go lessons with no recurring schedule slot are an acceptable option, if you prefer that to taking a lesson the same time every single week. Online lessons for singing and theory, but not piano, are also available. Specialties are (1) teaching classical vocal technique from physical perspective to discover the student's unique and true voice, (2) teaching how to read paper piano music at first sight and play it without knowing the song, and (3) translating the confusing way you were taught Music Theory into something that makes sense. Complete beginners welcome in all areas. Advanced lessons are available for voice only.
As partners, the student and I build a plan, balancing current aspirations with proven methods, keeping practical value in mind.
• Communication outside of lesson time will be mainly internet and email. The email address in your profile must be a valid form of official business communication.
• Students may not bring pets, children, or guests to the lesson. A quietly observing adult guest is welcome with 48-hour notice.
• My students know if they use too much fragrance, whether it be laundry scent boosters or hair treatments, they may be refused entrance into my studio. It's a big deal.
• You pay for any lessons not canceled or rescheduled before the 24-hour deadline, whether you attend or not. Do not be near me when you are contagiously ill. Ask me to forgive late cancellations caused by true emergencies, but realize I don’t have to.
• If you are a singing student, you need a place where you can practice. Prior to your first cancellation deadline, you must read the "Your First Singing Lesson" section found on each Singing or Voice Subject Page.
• If you want to learn how to read keyboard scores or understand how to play keyboard by ear, sign up for Music Theory. If you don’t have regular access to something that can legally be called a piano, including weighted keys and a damper pedal, sign up for Music Theory. Repeat: if you can’t practice on a real piano, don’t take Piano lessons. Music Theory lessons will probably teach you what you want to learn, anyway.
Ask me a question using the Ask-A-Question feature. Watch my videos and think about it. I'm a good teacher. I sincerely appreciate the time it took you to read my profile. Thank you.
My first paid music job was in my early teens, directing the Junior Choir and being the summer organist for my family church. I continued to be very active in church, community, and school music as a singer, pianist, and flutist.
Bachelor of Music (Vocal Performance) and Performance Certificate from Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA, 1981
When I lived in Costa Rica 1982-1984 I continued my private vocal studies, taught private piano and voice lessons, taught music in school classrooms, and sang with choral ensembles of both Costa Rican national universities, and in the Lyric Opera Chorus. I was musical director for a community production of Anything Goes and a high school production of Sound of Music, and I played piano for an elementary school production of Sleeping Beauty. I taught group seminars in choral technique to church choirs, and performed a half-recital.
Since moving to Chicago in 1986 my musical endeavors have included over seventeen years of private lesson teaching, seven years of sight-reading Episcopal High Mass as the soprano section leader, five years in semi-pro choral chamber ensembles, playing in a volunteer flute orchestra, occasional professional classical singing "gigs," participation in Sacred Harp singing, one full classical vocal recital, and one shared program of classical & theater songs & duets.
· Singing · In studio So far I've only had one lesson with Melodie and she really cares to help you achieve what you're trying to accomplish. We went through a few things such as posture, how to breathe, humming, vowels, position of tongue and other things. About myself: I don't know how to sing and this is my first singing lesson.
· Piano · In studio My lessons with Melodie have been great! She is extremely knowledgeable. I'm a new piano player, and she has been very patient with me as we work our way through the basics. She is great at explaining the theory side in a way I can understand. And the out of class work she suggests not only drives home what we worked on in the lesson, but it also has me playing some basic songs...which is encouraging and keeps practice fun!
· Piano · In home Makes you think in order to retain knowledge. Works off of existing knowledge well.
· Piano · In studio Great lessons!
· Classical Voice · In studio Ms Melodie is a great teacher-caring, funny, empathic, and enthusiasitic. she is a good listener, too. this is our fourth week. and she evaluates my progress weekly and revise her teaching material to make sure i understand the concepts and practice for improvement. she is fun to be around and has high expectation for her student, which motivates me to try hard.
· Classical Voice · In studio Ms. Melodie F is an excellent teacher who displays such a enthusiasm for voice teaching and eager to share her experience and knowledge as a voice teacher. today was the first day of our lessons and i and my wife are glad to have Ms Melodie F as our voice teach and can't wait to see her for our next lesson.
· Singing · In studio Great first lesson, very thorough and a lot more fun than I imagined a singing lesson would be. Looking forward to my next lesson already!
· Piano · In studio I just finished my third lesson with Melodie and couldn't be happier. She is patient and accommodating while being knowledgeable and resourceful. I am very much a beginner and Melodie has been able to adjust my lessons accordingly. I am looking forward to my next lesson already!
· Singing · In home We did a lot of breathing exercises that's going to help me be a better singer. We also did some exercises that'll eventually help me hit the notes I want to hit. I'm liking it so far.
· Music Theory · In home Melodie is a life-long musician whose deep knowledge and experience I enjoyed the benefit of while I was studying music theory in college. She had a knack for picking the perfect example and explanation to help understand concepts. She also made music come to LIFE when she would sing! Quite honestly, her talent and skills intimidated me - but she always was willing to share her JOY OF MUSIC without judgement. She always encouraged me to not just play music, but to FEEL the music, and pass that feeling to the audience. She doesn't just do this for a living. It is her passion - and it shows in the ongoing quality of her work.