- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
**All new students as of 5/8 will be scheduled starting 6/26 or later**
Hi there! I'm Melissa, and I am a fashion design and sewing teacher on Staten Island. I have been teaching children and adults how to sew since 2014. I've been sewing since I was a child, and I've been teaching since 2007.
I am mostly self-taught, and that, coupled with my youth, gives me a unique perspective when teaching. My first goal is to give my students all of the tools they need to feel confident from the very first lesson- almost all of my students finish the first hour with a handy drawstring bag to keep their new sewing supplies in. I have a specific sewing curriculum for the first 3-5 lessons that helps lay a groundwork for making more exciting things.
After we finish those steps, I work individually with students to make whatever they would like, from Halloween costumes to memory pillows to peplum tops. The choice is yours. I'm not the kind of teacher that is going to make you spend hours mastering a straight hem because frankly, that's really boring. I want you to learn while working on projects you care about
My experience includes;
-I worked in a tutoring school teaching kids from ages 5-17 in all subjects.
-I designed a program called Creative Studios for creative writing, fashion design and fine art. I taught these subjects to students aged 8-12.
-I teach sewing and fashion design (including fashion drawing) to various students in a one on one format.
-I teach fashion design and sewing to tweens, teens, and adults at SI Dance and Arts Center
-I am a resident costumer for Sundog Theatre.
-I teach at the Harlem Educational Activities Fund Saturday Academy
-I am pursuing a Masters in Adolescent Education in Social Studies
Please note that I am located in Staten Island, New York. I am able to take some students in Woodbridge/Perth Amboy in New Jersey. Brooklyn students can be accepted on a case-by-case basis. I am willing to travel to any part of Staten Island! Please keep this in mind when booking with me!
My studio space is located at Staten Island Dance and Art Center. It's a lovely, artsy space with bright yellow walls, four sewing machines, 2 professional mannequins, and a closet full of fabric and notions!
Teach fashion design and sewing to middle school aged children. Create curriculum and lessons.
Design, gather, sew, and maintain costumes for Sundog Theatre. Worked on Waiting for Godot, 2016, at Wagner College.
Help adults learn to use computers and write resumes.
Teach fashion design and sewing to children and adults. Create curriculum.
Editorial for children trip venues
Reported and wrote on business topics while managing a team of writers.
Tutored children (k-12) in all subject areas.
· Sewing · In home Melissa was a fantastic teacher. So pleasant to work with and very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend her.
· Sewing · In home Melissa was great! Patient, informative and I love my first project!
· Sewing · In home Excellent, she is fantastic. She works very well with my 8 yo son.
I was very impressed when I came home and saw the bag my son had made under her guidance. She also helped to figure out what was wrong with our sewing machine and got it working right away.
· Writing · In home nothing but good things to say about melisa very help full person to work with I hope we can still do businesses together...
· Sewing · In home My niece loved her. Easy going patient and knowledgable on time would say excellent
· Sewing · In home Melissa is the perfect instructor for my 8 year old daughter. Melissa taught her the basics of a sewing machine and by the end of the lesson she made 2 items and was delighted. She is patient and sweet and my daughter can't wait for her next lesson.
· Sewing · In home I highly recommend this instructor. She was very pleasant every time she came over & she helped my 13 yr old enormously. My daughter already had some sewing skills & Melissa helped her with new ideas & ways to make pants & skirts.