I have been studying and performing music for the majority of my life, starting with piano in the third grade. I started singing in choirs in high school and continued studying voice throughout college. I have a classical background and moved to jazz voice as an undergraduate at California State University of Sacramento. I recently completed my Masters Degree in Vocal Performance in 2015!
*** Lesson Details ***
Teaching music gives me joy! I create a positive and encouraging environment for students to gain confidence in their performance abilities. Every student is different and I approach each lesson accordingly in order to accommodate each student's needs and expectations.
*** Studio Equipment ***
Piano, microphone, sound system, music stand, sitting area for parent(s) when needed. Students are expected to purchase their own books which are required for piano lessons. I can supply photo copies for the first couple of lessons until books are delivered.
*** Travel Equipment ***
I can provide a metronome for lessons, but each student should acquire their own for practicing purposes. Students should provide a stereo, preferably with an iPod adapter, to listen to musical examples, and a piano for voice or their own instrument for instrumental lessons. I can provide an extra ukulele for lessons, but students should have their own for practicing purposes.
*** Specialties ***
I specialize in jazz voice, teaching students jazz theory and improvisation as well as stylistic techniques.
· Singing · In home Melissa seems knowledgeable. She makes the lesson productive and fun!
· Singing · In studio Thank you, Melissa, for working with my grand daughter with singing lessons. She has enjoyed her classes and has learned a great deal about how to use and project her voice. She learned how to warm up her vocal chords prior to signing and also she learned about the diction and pronunciation of her words.
· Singing · In studio So far so good. We started simple and I look forward to seeing what comes out in future sessions. I already have a few things to think about and practice at home, she seems very insightful so far and it's pretty cool that she can pick out by ear what note your on and what not. I just wish I could afford the longer sessions.
· Singing · In home Melissa is friendly person with lot of experience. She couched my kids to sing better and helped them with their skills to be better singers.
Thanks Melissa for your good work. We are very happy to met her and will be keeping contact with her.
· Ukulele · In studio Amazing person, amazing instructor.
· Singing · In home Had a great first lesson so far - she's very knowledgeable, explains thoroughly and is helping me focus on specific areas for improvement.
· Ukulele · In home Friendly, well organized and positive. Both my 13 yr old granddaughter enjoyed our lesson
· Ukulele · In home Patient....Loving...Knowledgeable...Honest!
· Singing · In home Melissa was wonderful with my 7 year old daughter! She's extremely patient and skilled at communicating with little ones.
· Singing · In home Melissa is great. She was patient with me as I learned how to breathe and to sing A and e.
I can't wait for the next class.