I love working with children and being part of their early musical discovery. I'm devoted to the importance of learning through play and I strive to cultivate a nurturing and fun space where kids feel free to express themselves, make mistakes and grow.
Using music books and hand-picking popular songs that resonate with your child, we build a lesson plan that keeps them excited about music while developing their musical skills. Children learn to play chords during the first lesson and are able to play simple songs right away which is fun, encouraging and immediately rewarding.
I began teaching several years ago when a friend wanted guitar lessons for her daughter and I fell in love with the process. I'm also a working musician; I've been writing and recording for nearly a decade. I've toured the U.S. and Europe and my work has appeared on NPR, Vogue, Streogum and American Songwriter. I teach Songwriting for all levels and beginners & kids’ guitar.
Speaks English, French
Melaena was an incredible teacher for my daughter's introduction to, and learning of guitar. She brought excitement, inspiration, magic and knowledge to each lesson and my daughter learned easily and with so much joy! I couldn't recommend a better instructor - Meleana is a fun, skilled and natural music teacher.
Thank you so much for everything Melaena!
I've learned so much about songwriting with Melaena and can't recommend her highly enough! I've had some really important break throughs from our sessions and I always leave feeling inspired and excited about music.
Melaena was great with my 7 year old. Made her feel comfortable and able to open up with ideas and suggestions. She mediated the class well and allowed for all participants’ voices to be heard. Had an amazing end result each class. True treasures we’ll cherish forever.
Thanks for everything Melaena!
Melaena is an amazing teacher! She is patient, encouraging, and brings a wealth of knowledge and experience. I really enjoyed sitting through her songwriting lesson. She was well organized and had exercises to go through that were challenging and fun. I can definitely see myself improving as a songwriter with more lessons with her.Show More
- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
"All you know as a writer, as an artist, or as someone who deals and manipulates symbols is whether it has an interior integrity." - Leonard Cohen
Great Songwriting is about accessing inner truth and through the personal, tapping into the universal.
In a nurturing and supportive atmosphere we will:
- Share completed songs and songs in progress and receive feedback
- Experiment with songwriting exercises to work on honing specificity, creating powerful visuals, and storytelling by showing, not telling
- Examine Song forms and how we can use them
- Leave with exercises to jump start new songs
Private Lessons in NYC & Songsmith L.A.
• Teaching children ages 6-10 and adult beginners • Adapting to each students’ needs and interests to create compelling, educational and fun lesson plans • Working with parents to support enthusiastic practice habits at home • Responsible for developing and leading monthly workshops • Responsible for designing curriculum for a lyric-focused multi-session songwriting workshop • Responsible for co-leading monthly drop-in song labs with school director
Misra Records, Modernworks, Freelance Performer
Writing and co-writing songs for TV, Film and Commercial pitches Writing, performing and touring as solo project Released two studio albums, receiving accolades from NPR, American Songwriter, Stereogum
Fluent / Native Proficiency
Let Our Student Counselors Help You
We can match you with the perfect teacher and take care of all your scheduling needs.