I have been teaching private lessons in the Northern Virginia area for a few years and teach band in Fairfax County Public Schools. I have been playing flute for 14 years now and it's time I share my experience and love for music with others!
To me, music is an outlet and it's important that my students fall in love with music while also learning about it. Music has always been a driving force in my life and one of the greatest things I've been involved in. I hope to give my students the same opportunities I have had and make music an important part of their lives as well.
A typical lesson with me will be structured like this:
Emphasis on basics (scales, studies, tuning, etc)
Sight Reading and Ear Training
Learning techniques through pieces
I had a lot of bad habits that developed over years so it will always be my goal to make sure this isn't the case with my students. Playing music should be fun, never too hard or painful. I will put a big emphasis on posture and building proper habits from the beginning.
My recommended length of time for a lesson is one hour. 30 minutes is not enough time once a week to really develop habits properly and really get into the heart of the music we will be working on.
I am really looking forward to acquiring more students!
I have a full certification in Instrumental music
Founded on the campus of Oklahoma State University on November 27, 1919, Kappa Kappa Psi is a guiding light with which band students can grow, learn, and develop themselves and their band programs. Kappa Kappa Psi is an organization of opportunity and quality, brimming with historic, well-developed leadership and membership programming that students use to become great leaders, better band members and better adapted young adults prepared for what lies ahead of them.
The National Band Association, founded on September 11, 1960, is the largest professional organization for bands in the world. It was organized for the purpose of promoting the musical and educational significance of bands and is dedicated to the attainment of a high level of excellence for bands and band music. NBA is an organization open to anyone and everyone interested in bands, regardless of the length of experience, type of position held, or the specific level at which one works. The membership roster includes men and women from every facet of the band world. NBA is today’s professional organization for band directors, and it stands ready to serve all members of the association through a variety of projects and initiatives.
Founded in 1907, NAfME is among the world’s largest arts education organizations. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers.
· Clarinet · In home Megan brought great energy and kindness to the first lesson. She seemed excited to teach and share her music expertise. A happy nine year old came out of her lesson!
· Flute · In studio We absolutely love Miss Megan! She is so kind and patient while making lessons fun, not to mention my 8 year old daughter is learning to play a difficult instrument and having a blast. Just magic!
· Saxophone · In studio a great first lesson - megan is professional and was patient with this more "mature" beginner
· Flute · In studio Megan is an excellent flute teacher. I thought it was going to be difficult for me to learn how to play the flute but her method and patience has helped me and I am convinced that anyone can learn music with the right teacher. I highly recommend Megan for flute lessons.
· Flute · In studio We had a great experience with Megan. She's efficient and professional.
· Trumpet · In home Megan is working to get our 5th grader up and going on trumpet. He's a challenge, but she's up to it. She's pleasant, punctual and proficient. A great teacher.
· Trumpet · In home Megan is an outstanding teacher. She is a flute player but has done a great job teaching introductory trumpet to my 6th grade daughter. Megan is always on time and keeps my daughter busy throughout the whole hour of her lesson - she does not fool around! And my daughter loves her and is engaged the whole time. Oh, and she's gotten up to speed on the trumpet (after two years on violin.)
I highly recommend Megan for lessons on any of the instruments she teaches.
· · Megan has been a colleague and musical partner of mine for over 7 years. Megan has a unique ability to positively connect with her students at all age and skill levels.
As a truly talented Flautist, Megan will provide you with a wealth of knowledge and expertise on playing flute. I've had the pleasure of performing as well as teaching with Megan and she is a valuable asset to any Music program.
If you're looking for a private teacher who will teach you the fundamentals of music, while also making lessons fun and enjoyable, then Megan is certainly the right instructor for you.
· Flute · In home My daughter so far has had three lessons with Megan and loves having her as her teacher. She is very understanding.