- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Born and raised in New York City, Matthew "Matt" is an accomplished and respected musician. Matt has been playing guitar for over 30 years and piano for over 15 years and is currently involved in several projects including three bands which have performed in some of NYC's hottest venues including but not limited to CBGB"s, The Bitter End, Crash Mansion, and Kenny's Castaways. Currently Matt is a finalist for an international music competition for Indie acts where he showcases his guitar and vocal abilities.
Matt was formerly educated at Queensborough College. He is competent in multiple areas such as theory, technique, sight reading, ear training, and recording engineering. He has studied under noted instructors such as George Bien and Tom Cipriani. In addition to his education and training Matt has had the benefit of living and having been reared in one of the richest and most diverse musical scenes in the country, NYC. This enables Matt to teach and perform in a broad range from the traditional classical guitar/piano to experimental.
As an educator, Matt is different from other teachers in his ability to inspire and motivate. Learning to play and master an instrument is challenging and can be a very frustrating experience. Matthew has techniques proven student after student to be successful in overcoming learning obstacles so that the student is able to meet his/her individualized goals. Matthew also has experience teaching individuals with disabilities ranging from Autism to Cancer patients. This ability has helped Matthew become a teacher with over 15 years experience.
*** Lesson Details ***
Lessons are provided in a private studio in Astoria, NY or your home. Once, a location is established I work with each student to identify his or her goals and objectives both musically and personally. Students are assessed to determine where their individual ability is at the time of assessment. From there, I work in partnership with the student as we begin mastering the guitar or the piano in a fun and supportive environment. Whether you are interested in learning to play the blues, classical or jazz guitar or any other genre or just learning how to play songs on the piano, I can help. If you are a beginner, don't worry it won't all be scales. In fact I guarantee you will be playing a song within your first lesson. If you are an advanced or intermediate student, I can help you master your skills. We (you and I) will revisit proper right and left hand techniques; utilize exercises to improve your speed and accuracy. You will learn new methods to strengthen your improvisation abilities. In short, you and I will make sure to build on your strengths and undo any bad habits that are hindering your ability to grow as a guitarist or pianist.
*** Specialties ***
music, Guitar and Piano
I begin with meeting the student where they are in relation to their musical experience. After establishing trust, through encouragement I empower students to recognize their potential with out pre-determined expectations or limits. I am comfortable in various genres from classical to punk.
· Acoustic Guitar · In home Matthew is patient with a solid understanding of music as well as guitar. His focus on learning the fundamentals was greatly appreciated.
· Guitar · In home Matthew is an outstanding, knowledgable instructor. Highly recommended!
· Guitar · In home Matthew is an excellent guitar teacher. He taught my 9 year-old beginner guitar. He's great with kids, patient and dependable. Learning guitar has been a really rewarding experience for my son thanks to Matthew.
· · Matt has been great teaching my 9 year old how to play guitar. He has tremendous patience, a wonderful/upbeat attitude, and is always on time for the lessons.
Can't go wrong with Matt!!
· Guitar · Great teacher!
Matthew has been a big help so far in getting me started playing the guitar. We have had 4 lessons so far, and he has taught me several chords, as well as the c major scale. He has been a big help in teaching me to play in time, as well as finger positioning on the guitar.
· · Great Fun teacher
He is a great teacher. He teaches very good and makes learning easy and fun. I've been playing guitar and trying to teach myself for 15 years but kinda hit the limit but he helped me finally start improving. He corrects my bad habit.
· · Matthew is a great instructor. He is patient, eas-going, has a nice sense of humor, and makes learning the piano fun for our daughter.
· · Matthew is very patient, trying to learn an instrument at 53 is frustrating and he has gotten me much more along in my abilities then I thought I could get to.
· · An encouraging and patient teacher!
Matthew is great at breaking down the information you need in to manageable chunks. One of my goals is to be able to read music and I am already doing well a few lessons in. Starting music lessons at 36 was a little intimidating but Matthew makes it easy with great instruction. He really knows his stuff!
· · Matthew was terrific! He was patient and quite knowledgable, and knew just how to explain in a way that I could relate. The extent of information that I received was beyond my expectations. I would highly recommend him to any student.