Find your true voice. Lessons are catered to your individual needs and will help you to build a strong foundation in vocal technique and creative expression. We will practice breathing fundamentals, posture, tone production, diction, and delivery, which will enable you to increase your range, stamina, and overall vocal facility.
I like to keep things simple: Singing better simply means to be able to do more of the things you want to do with your voice and to do them reliably. This means singing with more range, better tone, stamina, passion, volume and power as well as singing in tune and without pain. Ultimately, it means using your singing voice freely and expressing yourself musically in the ways you intend.
Since your body is your instrument, your voice needs the right kinds of exercise and approach to bring it up to peak performance. Whatever degree of improvement satisfies your singing goal, that’s adequate. And that’s what I consider the purpose and goal of technique – to sing what you want to sing in the way you want to sing it and maintain your vocal health. For those of you who perform there is one more step: To express yourself, connect with and emotionally move your audience.
Working with repertoire of our choosing, we can also work on:
Vocal technique in bel canto and speech singing techniques for studio work and live performances
Performance skills, phrasing, and musicality
Developing healthy habits and structured practice methods
Who am I?
Professional pop/jazz/soul/R&B singer
Conservatory-trained (B. Music in classical voice performance)
23 years of performance experience in jazz, pop, opera, and musical theater
Ten years of private and group teaching experience
Our joint purpose is to help you discover your unique voice, and the lessons always reflect your creative goals. All ages, levels, and styles are welcome. Contact me with questions or to schedule an introductory lesson.
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 480,000 US composers, songwriters, lyricists and music publishers. The ASCAP is committed to nurturing music makers throughout their careers.
· Singing · In home I went through 4 voice teachers here in NYC before settling on Mary - been taking vocal training with her for about a year and half now and it's been worth every penny.
Mary is an excellent communicator, with a great sense for analogies and concrete descriptions for abstract concepts (esp crucial for things like singing). She's a gifted vocalist, having been classically trained with an Opera and Jazz background, but more than that - she has the ability to enhance someone else's sense of style and natural voice. She is of course also an amazing human all around, with a great attitude, style, and general "lust for life." Highly recommend Mary as a vocal coach
· Songwriting · In home My decades long musical history was moving toward something new - singer-songwriter-guitar performer. I needed help. Mary is shockingly amazing in all three, which says nothing for her piano and tech skills, which says nothing for her really beautiful ear and professional easy demeanor ... I can't recommend her enough. She has transformed a part of my musical world into something, for which I am both eternally grateful and waiting for my next lesson.
· Singing · In studio I began taking lessons with Mary after I heard her sing. Besides having a terrific voice I really love how effortless she makes singing look. I've been taking lessons with her for about a month and she's been helping me connect the dots. I appreciate her method. She works with me to build my voice and doesn't push a style or direction. Her descriptions give me directions on what to think and how to feel when I sing. I look forward to the coming months!
· · I started training with Mary about a year ago to get my voice back in shape. After my first lesson with her, I felt so happy and inspired. Her positive and passionate energy is so powerful. I learned so much after only one lesson, and as we continue, my voice keeps getting stronger and my range is expanding. Recently, she coached me through a few pieces I had to prepare for an audition. She helped me stay disciplined and positive. With her help, I totally nailed it. I sincerely appreciate her enthusiasm and vibrant spirit along with her support and encouragement. Mary's an all around unique, talented and genuine person that I'm lucky to have stumbled upon.
· Singing · In studio I came to Mary as a multi-instrumentalist and songwriter who wanted help with singing/vocals. A few things were apparent from the beginning: she is a creative, patient, yet demanding teacher with a razor-sharp ear and an endless bag of similes, metaphors, and visual and mental techniques to get across the point she's trying to explain (which is all aimed at coaxing the best out of you in each lesson). I've had many music teachers over the years, and it is rare to find one who combines vast knowledge of music theory and the fundamentals/techniques of their particular instrument with the ability to translate and teach all of this effectively. Mary is exactly this type of teacher. I also appreciate that her passion and enthusiasm for music and creativity practically oozes out of her pores, and in the year+ that we've been working together she's challenged me to not only improve my vocals but develop my songwriting skills using Logic. I recommend Mary without qualification to anyone from the casual singer/strummer to the advanced musician or studio geek who wants to up their game to the next level.
· Opera Voice · An excellent experience
It's hard to describe the enjoyment and progress I enjoyed with Mary. She is such a thoroughly engaged and skilled teacher. In my first lesson I felt like I improved exponentially, and every lesson thereafter has left me significantly improved. Aside from the improvement in quality, Mary's teaching and personal style also gave me a massive boost in confidence - I had taken singing lessons more on a whim as something to try, but Mary allowed me to see that I have a voice and can develop it. I am continuing lessons and hope to always improve.
I really can't recommend Mary's lessons enough - and she is a lovely person to know, very funny and creative with her teaching and extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of music. What a great experience!
· Singing · Inspiring teacher!
I walked away from my first lesson with Mary feeling incredibly inspired. I love her method of teaching and feel I have learned an awful lot already and I have just begun. Her lessons are fun, encouraging, thorough and unique. I look forward to working with Mary and incorporating new techniques into my style. I'm so happy I stumbled upon her!
· Singing · Great singing experience
I had a great time studying with Mary. We had ongoing lessons while she was living in Montreal. I always felt I had walked out of a lesson a step closer to my goals and put in the right direction. I found she had good knowledge of her tools and how to apply them to whatever it was that I was up against.