- National Criminal Record Check
- County/State Criminal Record Check
- Sex Offender Registry Search
- SSN Trace & Verification
Singing is the most joyful form of expression!
My philosophy is that every voIce is uniquely beautiful, and every singer has a different path to his or her full potential, but regardless of the path, singing that is based in joyful expression is the most satisfying. I look forward to working with you to sing to your heart out!
We will begin by discussing your goals, whether it be to nail a callback, prepare yourself for college, or sing confidently in front of friends and family (or in the shower!). I believe that a good, healthy technique will allow you to soar in whatever kind of singing pleases you.
Mary is an accomplished singer, teacher, actor, producer, pianist and voice-over artist. She is the Co-Artistic Director of Hedgepig Ensemble Theatre, a classical company dedicated to a joyful and dynamic theatrical process, and the founder of Joyful Singing Studios (joyful-singing.com).
Mary holds a BA in Music (vocal performance) from Duke University, an MFA in Classical Acting from George Washington University's Academy for Classical Acting, and a shiny certificate from NY Vocal Coaching Teacher Training.
She has worked with an array of exceptional teachers and coaches including Chrissellene Petropolous (DC), Katja Kullander (NYC), Justin Stoney (NYC), Elizabeth Linnartz (NC), Marion Johnson Healy (DE).
Mary has performed across the country in roles such as Maria in West Side Story, Amalia in She Loves Me, Rapunzel in Into the Woods, Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Anne in The Diary of Anne Frank, and Emily in Our Town.
Ms. Candler is a proud member of Actors Equity Association, The New York Singing Teachers Association, and League of Professional Theatre Women.
• Founded an ensemble-based classical theatre company
• Nurtured artists through training and mentorship
• Produced Mainstage productions, readings and workshops
Polished audition pieces for students who successfully booked roles
• Provided feedback on monologues
• Guided actors to fulfill their potential
• Performed regionally and in New York City (see bio for favorite roles) in lead roles
• Created an engaging curriculum
• Developed enthusiasm and love of the classics
• Led exercises and games to build confidence
• Served as music director for college productions of Pippin, You’re a Good Man Charlie
Brown, and The Last Five Years.
• Taught music to young singers
• Acted as liaison between orchestra and vocalists
• Led all music rehearsals
NYSTA strives to provide voice professionals, both locally and globally, with the tools and inspiration needed for an increasingly informed and creative pedagogy. Immense advances in voice science, neurology, psychology, education theory, medicine, and mind/body healing offer new information and techniques from which voice teachers can draw. By making these resources accessible to our members, we foster twenty-first-century pedagogy, rooted in the great traditions of the past, incorporating the new knowledge of our time.
Actors' Equity Association, founded in 1913, is the labor union that represents more than 49,000 Actors and Stage Managers in the United States. Equity seeks to advance, promote and foster the art of live theatre as an essential component of our society.
· Vocal Training · In studio I'm a singer-songwriter with prior recording, performing, and theatre training and although I have trained with a number of different instructors, Mary brought something new and beneficial to the table! Prior to beginning our lesson we had a brief discussion about what I've done and what my goals are, and then proceeded to make a sort of action plan on how to address everything! Just after one 45 minute lesson, I had learned techniques that I hadn't ever used before and could already sense my improvement. She gave me great mental and physical cues that I found to be extremely helpful. She is clearly very knowledgeable about what she does and her performance experience gives her a special edge and understanding when it comes to her teaching style.
As far as logistics go, I have both driven and taken the subway to get to her house. She lives super close to the L train (maybe a 2 or 3 minute walk?) and there is usually adequate parking nearby. Her home is lovely and the backroom where the piano is has incredible acoustics. I could sing there for hours!! Her cute pup Waka is also a nice addition/perk to the overall environment :)
Overall, I'm incredibly happy and so excited to see how she helps me achieve my goals!!
· Singing · In studio I had my first voice lesson in a long time with Mary. I've had years of training in the past, and Mary was very informed and knowledgable about different styles and techniques. She was constantly checking in with me about my experiences and what challenges I face to work on exercises that were specifically suited to my voice and its needs. She also spent some extra time with me to look through my audition material and help me to focus it a bit. Her beautiful home and workspace lent itself to a relaxing and rewarding` lesson that only went by too quickly.
· Singing · In studio Mary is an incredible teacher! She did a wonderful job of asking me what it was I wanted to focus on and then tailoring the lesson to that. She also was encouraging and make me feel safe to sing (and good about the sound I was producing!) while still offering exercises and ways to improve what I was doing. She also went out of her way to find me songs when I mentioned that I needed some more rep for my book! Warm, attentive, humble, and knowledgable, she is a teacher that you definitely want to study with!
· Vocal Training · In studio Mary knows a lot about the science of technique, and not only can she tell you why or how you sound the way you do, but she also balances that info with kindness and heart. She is graceful and sweet, instantly putting you at ease. But she has the chops -- already I feel like I know so much more about how my body works together than I did before she started working with me. Her openness and versatility was exactly what I needed. Go go go!
· Singing · In studio Mary is a wonderful teacher. Her home is beautiful and it is a very comfortable place to take a voice lesson. She lives conveniently 2 minutes off the L stop in Bushwick. She gives you a very thorough warmup and then we work on vocal technique exercises. She is helping me bring my sound into my mask and reminds me to keep an open channel for sound. She teaches me about breath control and is great at articulating solutions to poor vocal habits. We are working on a musical theater song and she is helping me act the song as well. If you want to work on your songbook, audition/show prep, or just get an amazing vocal workout, I can highly recommend Mary.
· Singing · In studio My first lesson with Mary was wonderful! It's been MANY years since I've had a vocal lesson, and jumping back in with Mary was the best decision I could have made. She was patient and incredibly helpful with addressing the areas of my voice that need work and coming up with exercises to target those issues. She helps focus on the techniques and interpretations that will best serve the performance/acting of the song. She also had great recommendations for other songs to add to my repertoire. Can't wait to go back for my next lesson!
· Vocal Training · In home Mary is an extremly talented Singer as well as teacher. Her deep knowledge of voice production as well as acting makes her training excellent. She is a joy to work With.