My name is Maria. I am originally from Valencia, Spain. My native languages are Spanish and Catalan. I am also fluent in English and French.
In 2011, I was awarded a scholarship to study in Oklahoma for the 2011-2012 school year. In 2013, I graduated with honors with a Bachelor of Translation and Interpretation. Today, I am a Registered Courtroom Interpreter in the State of Oklahoma.
I have over 10 years of experience tutoring Spanish and English as a second language. At present, I work as a Spanish tutor at a local university, and I help students with limited English proficiency at a local high school.
I find my profession very rewarding. Helping students learn and progress is a precious experience that provides me with a feeling of accomplishment.
Students of all ages and skill levels are welcome to take my lessons. As a tutor, I intend to improve my students’ language skills and further their immersion in a foreign culture.
· Spanish · Online I have had a few different tutors, in a few different subjects, and Maria is second to none. Both technical, as well as idiomatic expertise is paramount to me, because I want to speak properly, without sounding like a text book.
In addition to this expertise, Maria prepares her lessons well in advance, and is truly engaged in the process. However, what really distinguishes her is the positive and encouraging learning environment that she creates; as a native English speaker, I am particularly insecure about my foreign accent and pronunciation. This is no longer the case with Maria - she delicately corrects me as necessary, and before I know it, I am openly attempting to converse, without any regard for my occasional mistakes.
This has greatly accelerated my learning and retention, and for this reason, I have decided to do French tutoring with her as well. I highly recommend her to anyone looking to learn one of the few languages she speaks!
· Spanish · Online very responsive to a last minute request for a lesson So friendly and helpful!
· Spanish · Online Maria is great so far! Very kind and patient.
· Spanish · Online Marià's class was instructive and professional. Marià is personable, flexible and wonderful. This is a great start. Thank you.
· Spanish · In studio Maria helped me complete the foreign language credits I needed to complete my degree. I was working full-time some of the way through and she was always willing to work with my schedule and with finances. She has a unique ability to connect and make me feel comfortable with asking questions and making mistakes in learning Spanish. She helped me even when we were between sessions via text. She is has a real gift for making the Spanish language accessible and she has a firm command on grammar. She was gently encouraging and let me know when I was doing well. Maria helped me through 13 credits of Spanish. I made an A on my final exam. I am also inspired by her to continue learning the language.