I have loved music as long as I can remember. I know its cliche© to say so, but it's true! :)
For me, having parents of different ethnicity and siblings that were much older than me, I was heavily impacted by the wide variety of music to which my family members listened. The force of this crayon box of rhythms and sounds captivated and affected me so much that it is the key experience that I draw from in making my own music today.
I grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska (a small town in the center of the state) so my only option for entertainment and fun was getting involved in the arts! I started performing at a very young age as both a dancer and a musician. I studied classical ballet, modern dance, hip hop and street dance, and world dance traditions throughout my formative years, which helped me to gain rhythmical fluency. I started my formal music training when I began to play the cello. From then on, I was hooked on the sound and I immersed myself in music as much as I could; performing, competing, working in as many musical groups and productions as possible (as both a vocalist and cellist), and even teaching.
I moved to Seattle in 2003 to study opera at Cornish College of the arts, only to later change my major to Jazz, and then again to Latin music studies. Since graduating from Cornish in 2007, with my Bachelor of Music degree, I have been actively and diligently working in the local music scene; performing and recording with artists and groups of many different styles. Everything from various Latin genres, to Rock, to R&B/Soul, to Hip Hop, and Jazz. Through my music, I aim to reach out to people of all cultures. I also aim to teach my own students with the hope that they too can discover the same continuous love of music that I have grown to feel (and still am growing to feel) over the years. :)
*** Studio Equipment ***
88 key piano, (Yamaha keyboard), cello, various percussion instruments, guitars, library, computer, lessons are given in the living room.
*** Specialties ***
As far as voice goes, I teach all genres and styles but I personally specialize in the Latin genres. I teach all aspects of the music; rhythm, harmony, theory. I even teach performance; how to work with a band in real-time communication, song communication (or story telling as I like to call it), and developing ones own personal style. I believe that there is much more to singing than just vocal technique alone, so I believe in teaching musical fundamentals and functions so that my students will not only be considered vocalists, but competent musicians.
I instruct kids in how to approach singing vocal jazz. I teach them how to learn tunes, improvisation, and rephrasing. I also show them how to work with a live band and performance techniques.
· Guitar · In studio Makala is very seasoned at teaching music. I love that fact that she's patient but at the same time persistent. My daughter has grown tremendously from being under Makala's structured music teachings. Makala is very versatile and has a really open of mind with music. She can sing like an angel and her personality is warm and friendly. You can't go wrong with choosing her to help you with your music.
· Music Theory · In studio Makala is easy to work with. She makes music so easy to understand and she approaches lessons in funny and focused way that keeps them enjoyable while staying on-track. She also has an encyclopedic knowledge of music across a surprisingly extensive range of styles. Every time I see her I learn of a new artist that I love. Highly recommend Makala!
· Singing · In studio Makala's knowledge of music and vocal training really helped me to discover my own voice. She is incredibly positive, patient, knowledgeable, and sincerely cares about her craft and students. I would recommend her to anyone who is beginning or advanced.
· Singing · In studio Mikaela has helped me improve my voice and confidence an extraordinary amount! She is so knowledgable about music and singing and is also a wonderful human being. I highly recommend her!
· Singing · In studio Makala as a voice teacher is dedicated to bringing out the best in her students.
· Singing · In studio My daughter loves how talented and kind Makala is. As a parent, I really appreciate how accommodating she is in regards to scheduling. We both highly recommend her as a teacher!
· Piano · In studio She's an amazing instructor! She's showing professionalism in a relaxed, personable way, and is able to adjust her teaching to suit the learner.
· Singing · In studio Last summer, I insisted my then 11-year-old daughter take some kind of music lessons. She wasn't excited about it. We found Makala online and based on the great reviews, my daughter and I agreed she would give it a try 6 months. She has been taking lessons from Makala for close to 1 year now.
At one point I asked if my daughter wanted to switch to a music teacher where her friends take lessons....it was much more conveniently located for me (we live in southeast Seattle), but she said "no way." It actually made me happy to see her commitment to her instructor. And it's been more than worth it to me to make the 45 minute commute to Ballard in order to have her be so excited and engaged in music.
· Singing · Down to Earth!
Makala is a patient person. She really takes a lot of time in explaining things so that you understand them. I took lessons from her for a year. I had never sung a note before. She helped me learn about the mechanics of my voice and taught me a lot about myself as a learner and singer! I wholeheartedly recommend her.
· · Makala is a wonderful instructor. My daughter loves her piano lessons.
My seven year old daughter has had three piano lessons from Makala thus far. Her interest and enthusiasm for the instrument has sky rocketed. Although it takes work, Makala helps to instill in her the necessary motivation to do the work. She is also great at building confidence. I would certainly recommend her for piano lessons.