My work is to respect the student's learning style, interests, and inspiration and convey both the fundamentals and musical details with the student's passion in mind. Communication style ranges from articulate communication of the literal details involved, to pure imagery, depending on the student's needs and interests.
I have taught flute since 1985, including private lessons, flute choirs, chamber ensembles, as well as music camps and public school music. My students and former students have placed well in local, state and regional competitions, festivals, youth orchestras and other ensembles.
Online lessons are geared toward motivated teens and adults of all playing abilities, ranging from advanced audition preparation to beginners and intermediate students seeking a strong grasp of the fundamentals as they seek an understanding of how the fundamental aspects of flute playing enhance human expression and the glorious nature of music.
Younger students are enthusiastically accepted for local lessons with parent support.
As a freelance performer, I have commissioned and performed new works, and perform with some of the top musicians in Central Vermont.
My study of flute includes private lessons with Katherine Borst Jones at Oberlin, Jane Ambrose, Jerilee Kechley, and others.
I have participated in Master Classes with Robert Willoughly, Louis Moyse, and Toshio Takahashi among others. I received Music Teachers' Certification in 1989.
National Flute Association
Suzuki Association of the Americas
Vermont Association of Wedding Professionals
I have served on the board of directors for:
The Preparatory School of Music and Dance at Vermont College
The Monteverdi Music School
The Green Mountain Youth Symphony
Teaching all ages and levels of flutists in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
Private flute lessons, flute choir and ensemble coaching, flute camps
Private lessons and ensembles
Was certified and experienced as an elementary music teacher during the 1990s based on coursework at Oberlin College and Conservatory as well as University of Vermont. I allowed certification to lapse when I chose to focus specifically on flute as a self-employed teacher in the late 1990s.
National Association for Music Education (NAfME), among the world’s largest arts education organizations, is the only association that addresses all aspects of music education. NAfME advocates at the local, state, and national levels; provides resources for teachers, parents, and administrators; hosts professional development events; and offers a variety of opportunities for students and teachers. The Association orchestrates success for millions of students nationwide and has supported music educators at all teaching levels for more than a century.
We are the Vermont Association of Wedding Professionals (VAWP), the only not-for-profit organization in the State dedicated to the Wedding industry. We have over 170 Vermont wedding vendors that we are proud to call our members. We are focused on promoting Vermont’s wedding industry and its members to couples planning on getting married in our beautiful State. VAWP strives to create and foster positive relationships among Vermont wedding industry professionals, and to provide networking and educational experience to its members.
The Suzuki Association of the Americas, Inc. is the not-for-profit organization officially licensed to support, guide, and promote Suzuki education in North, Central, and South America. The SAA was founded in 1972 and currently has about 8,000 members.
The National Flute Association, founded in 1972, is the largest flute organization in the world. Approximately 5,000 members from more than 50 countries join together in person, online, at conventions, informally and in forums, through publications and classrooms, in performance, in friendship and collegiality. Guided by its goals to encourage a higher standard of artistic excellence for the flute, its performers, and its literature, members include leading soloists, orchestral players, jazz and world music performers, teachers, adult amateurs, and students of all ages.
· Flute · Online Lisa has done a fantastic job with lessons! I would go to her for teaching advice, performance help, technique problems, and the list goes on and on. Her enthusiasm for music is contagious and I leave every lesson excited to practice for the next.
· Flute · Online Lisa is a fabulous teacher for my seven year old daughter who has been taking lessons from her for 2 1/2 years. Lisa is a teacher who employs multiple teaching tools and who constantly adjusts and adapts her teaching to fit the student as she needs to. The lessons are intensely focused and made fun by the various exercises and creative techniques Lisa uses. (My child is often not intensely focused, so the fun part has been essential.) In addition, Lisa has helped me as a parent come up with strategies to support my daughter in her learning. Lisa offers tools on her blog, informational reading, and general support (emails and conversations) to empower parents to help with their child's learning. I have experienced other music teachers, and think that Lisa Carlson is music instruction done right. I recommend her without any qualifications if you are interested in flute instruction.
· · Lisa is a fabulous teacher for my seven year old daughter who has been taking lessons from her for 2 1/2 years. Lisa is a teacher who employs multiple teaching tools and who constantly adjusts and adapts her teaching to fit the student as she needs to. The lessons are intensely focused and made fun by the various exercises and creative techniques Lisa uses. (My child is often not intensely focused, so the fun part has been essential.) In addition, Lisa has helped me as a parent come up with strategies to support my daughter in her learning. Lisa offers tools on her blog, informational reading, and general support (emails and conversations) to empower parents to help with their child's learning. I have experienced other music teachers, and think that Lisa Carlson is music instruction done right.
I recommend her without any qualifications if you are interested in flute instruction.
· Flute · In studio Lisa has been and will be again a very wonderful teacher. She has been so patient with me as I have taken lessons in my retirement years. Yet we always move forward. She is an excellent player herself and an inspiration.
She is also an enjoyable person to be with and I connect with her on a deeper level which is really nice.
Give her a try, no matter your age, and I am sure you will agree.
· Flute · In studio Lisa is a wonderful teacher. She gives excellent ideas which help improve technicality and tone. She is enthusiastic and respectful of individual learning styles. I highly recommend her as a teacher.
· Flute · In studio Lisa has helped my playing starting with our first lesson together! She has a wonderful approach that makes you feel comfortable and "safe" to put yourself out there :) She has a calm and respectful way of correcting your mistakes. She has a great way of explaining things and finds different ways to help make it clear. Personally, she has helped me strengthen my rhythm and technical skills, but I am most excited about the work we have done with tone and interpreting different music. She has an impeccable ear and teaches many techniques to help you find and consistently create your best tone! She wants you to be the best player you can be and it shows in her caring teaching. As an adult player, I have different needs than a younger student. She allows and encourages me to drive the lessons and is constantly checking in to make sure I feel I am getting what I want out of our lessons together. I have seen a lot of growth in my playing! Lisa is a gem!