- Levels Taught:
- Teaches students:
- and Ages 7+
- Teaching since:
After playing the violin for over 20 years, Lisa was inspired to share the gift of music with others by her teacher, Susanna Sonnenberg. Lisa is a member of the American String Teacher’s Association, and has attended the 2017 ASTA National Conference. She currently performs with the Edgewood Symphony Orchestra. Lisa has played in recitals, the Chartiers Valley High School Orchestra, and was accepted to the 2006 PMEA District Orchestra. She has studied with Larry Weiss, Linda Andersen, and others. Lisa can’t remember a time before she learned how to play the violin; it has brought her great joy. Her favorite piece to play is the Bach Double Concerto in D Minor.
At 8 years old, Lisa fell in love with the violin. Throughout school, she studied with private teachers and played with the school orchestra. At home, her dogs were a great audience.
Lisa went on to study history at the University of Pittsburgh, and later earned her law degree from Duquesne. She never forgot her violin, though, and continued to play in her spare time.
Music adds beauty to the world, and finally, after years of keeping the violin to herself, Lisa decided to share her playing with others. Lisa teaches traditional, classical method. The method books she uses include: Essential Elements for Strings, Samuel Applebaum, and All for Strings, among others. She supplements the technical exercises with repertoire from the Suzuki series. Lisa enjoys playing all types of music, in addition to classical, and teaches these songs, as well. Additional music includes pop artists like Taylor Swift, classic rock, electronic music like Lindsey Stirling, celtic, folk, and just about any other type of music you can think of. As a teacher, Lisa strives to be positive and encouraging. She believes that music should be fun, so her main goal is to make sure her students are having a good time!
Offering online violin lessons for all ages and levels and beginner viola lessons for all ages through TakeLessons.com.
- Playing the violin with the Edgewood Symphony Orchestra
- Repertoire includes: Beethoven 4th Symphony; Selections from Richard Strauss Operas; Suite from Der Rosenkavelier; The Charlie Brown Christmas Suite; Various holiday suites
- Rehearsal once/week for 2.5 hours
- Learning part independently
- Performing in concerts and other community events
- Teach violinists of all levels and ages
- Teach beginner violists of all ages
- Play the violin for special events
- Assisting the Honorable Beth A. Lazarra in her instruction to 3rd year law students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Acting as different types of witnesses in mock trials for students to examine
- Acting as opposing counsel against students for practice during objections and arguments
- Assisting with instruction by providing practical advice on trial advocacy from the lawyer's perspective
- Teach high school students the basics of courtroom advocacy through lecture and demonstration
- Reviewing and providing feedback to students on their argument drafts
- Assist students in preparing to present both sides of the annual Young Lawyers' Division Mock Trial problem for the annual tournament
- Represent indigent criminal defendants throughout trial
- Representing indigent criminal defendants in appellate proceedings at the Pennsylvania Superior Court and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supervising students at Pittsburgh Public Schools as they completed the after-school computer-based Nova Net credit-recovery program to prepare for graduation
- Assisting students in understanding difficult problems posed by the Nova Net program, including critical thinking; reading strategies; study and note-taking strategies; among other topics. Areas of specialty include: history, English, writing, science, college readiness
- Assisting students with college application preparation
- Assisting students with assigned homework
The American String Teachers Association, founded more than 60 years ago, is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA's members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession.+ Read More
I absolutely love Lisa's teaching style! She made me feel comfortable in the class even though I was dreading being on a web cam. I'm very sensitive to criticism as I take it to heart but Lisa was kind, knowledgeable, and personable. I couldn't recommend a better teacher for the violin. I've wanted to play all of my life and I look forward to learning more with Lisa.+ Read More
Lisa is great. My daughter adores her and looks forward to her Saturday lessons with her. She is great with kids and a great teacher!!
Lisa is a fabulous instructor! My daughter is taking lessons with Lisa weekly and we have noticed a significant improvement in her skills. Lisa is very patient, attentive and provides feedback regularly so I too can assist my child prior to her next lesson. Highly recommended!+ Read More
My daughter takes violin lessons from Lisa , She has learned a lot in a short amount of time. Lisa is very good with teaching because she has patience .
I would recommend her for lessons.
Lisa is a wonderful violinist and experienced teacher. She has been playing for over 20 years and knows her way around a violin. I highly recommend her for violin students of all ages.