Lisa C. B.
After playing the violin for over 20 years, Lisa was inspired to share the gift of music with others by her teacher, Susanna Sonnenberg. Lisa has attended the 2017 and 2018 American String Teachers Association National Conferences. She currently performs with the Edgewood Symphony Orchestra, the Pittsburgh Philharmonic, the Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra, and with outreach quartets. Lisa has played in recitals, the Chartiers Valley High School Orchestra, and was accepted to the 2006 PMEA District Orchestra. She has studied with Larry Weiss, Linda Andersen, and others. Lisa can’t remember a time before she learned how to play the violin; it has brought her great joy. Her favorite pieces to play are the Bach Double Concerto in D Minor and The Lark Ascending.
At 8 years old, Lisa fell in love with the violin. Throughout school, she studied with private teachers and played with the school orchestra. At home, her dogs were a great audience.
Lisa went on to study history at the University of Pittsburgh, and later earned her law degree from Duquesne. She never forgot her violin, though, and continued to play in her spare time.
Music adds beauty to the world, and finally, after years of keeping the violin to herself, Lisa decided to share her playing with others. Lisa teaches traditional, classical method. The method books she uses include: Essential Elements for Strings, Samuel Applebaum, and All for Strings, among others. She supplements the technical exercises with repertoire from the Suzuki series. Lisa enjoys playing all types of music, in addition to classical, and teaches these songs, as well. Additional music includes pop artists like Taylor Swift, classic rock, electronic music like Lindsey Stirling, celtic, folk, and just about any other type of music you can think of. As a teacher, Lisa strives to be positive and encouraging. She believes that music should be fun, so her main goal is to make sure her students are having a good time!
Teaches students 7 and up
Bachelor’s of Philosophy - History from University of Pittsburgh
Lisa is very thorough, patient and extremely knowledgeable; most importantly she is an excellent teacher!!
I think Lisa is a wonderful instructor who provides clear instruction and also knows pedagogy. She starts with a step-by-step approach to build a foundation. I am an older adult and her warmth and good sense of humor help, too.
"Old Dog Learns New Tricks"
I couldn't ask for more in a teacher. I am a newbie to the cello and Lisa made me feel very comfortable and also, her teaching style is very clear, logical, starting with the basics and building step-by-step. She has a good sense of humor, too. All said, after only my first lesson, I think my learn a new trick: playing a song or two on the cello. Deb Bisacchi, MEd, MSW
Clear, focused, warm and friendly, and very knowledgeable, too.
LIsa is a wonderful violinist and teacher. She is very patient and supportive. She provides very clear instructions and is very helpful. I highly recommend Lisa to students of all ages.
Lisa is a wonderful and encouraging teacher. I’m a complete beginner and she already has me playing simple songs. I highly recommend Lisa!
I am a complete beginner at the violin and Lisa was able to make me feel comfortable and confident!
Great job! Knowledgeable, fun and works well with all levels.
Great instructor! She really showed me a lot about my instrument today and even taught me some cool history lessons about the Cello! She has really nice tips to learn bowing (when we get there). Recommended for new, Crossover learners like myself.
Love my lessons and my teacher! She’s very patient with me and explains everything in simple terms.
Great violin lesson. Thanks so much Lisa.
Very helpful, and useful, with a sizable dose of fun.
Lisa is so great to take lessons with! She is patient and kind and very knowledgeable! She moves at exactly the right speed- challenging but manageable 'homework'! I would highly recommend!
I attended Lisa's TakeLessonsLive Mastering Your First Violin Solo class. This session discussed strategies for practicing music until you can play it with confidence. Lisa has an array of ideas that will be a helpful resource for a variety of pieces. I really appreciated her tailoring the class to the needs at hand. Thank you for an enjoyable class, Lisa!Show More
She gave the feeling of comfort and the ability to feel okay to make mistakes and to try . Even when encountering other violinists who were not so pleasant she made me feel as though I could accomplish anything and even gave me amazing cleaning tips, store tips, bowing help, and home exercises to practice on my own and did not make me feel pressured to but more lessons at all it was all in her character. She is a very divine teacher and I am definitely coming back.Show More
Great lesson. Really looking forward to future lessons.
I have participated in Lisa's TakeLessons online Live group classes recently and I have not been disappointed. Lisa takes her time to introduce new material and ensures that her students understand the material. She is very easy going and demonstrates the skill set of what a violinist should be able to do. I would highly recommend Lisa as a private teacher or recommend her TakeLessons Live group classes.Show More
wonderful teacher for getting you going on the violin ; ) lessons are relaxed and the time flies by because she keeps it fun and interesting ! Also was very helpful in my journey to purchase a violin ; )
I absolutely love Lisa's teaching style! She made me feel comfortable in the class even though I was dreading being on a web cam. I'm very sensitive to criticism as I take it to heart but Lisa was kind, knowledgeable, and personable. I couldn't recommend a better teacher for the violin. I've wanted to play all of my life and I look forward to learning more with Lisa.Show More
Lisa is great. My daughter adores her and looks forward to her Saturday lessons with her. She is great with kids and a great teacher!!
Lisa is a fabulous instructor! My daughter is taking lessons with Lisa weekly and we have noticed a significant improvement in her skills. Lisa is very patient, attentive and provides feedback regularly so I too can assist my child prior to her next lesson. Highly recommended!Show More
My daughter takes violin lessons from Lisa , She has learned a lot in a short amount of time. Lisa is very good with teaching because she has patience .
I would recommend her for lessons.
Lisa is a wonderful violinist and experienced teacher. She has been playing for over 20 years and knows her way around a violin. I highly recommend her for violin students of all ages.
Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra
Superior Court of Pennsylvania - Central Legal Staff
Offering online violin lessons for all ages and levels and beginner viola lessons for all ages through TakeLessons.com.
Edgewood Symphony Orchestra
- Playing the violin with the Edgewood Symphony Orchestra - Repertoire includes: Beethoven 4th Symphony; Selections from Richard Strauss Operas; Suite from Der Rosenkavelier; The Charlie Brown Christmas Suite; Various holiday suites - Rehearsal once/week for 2.5 hours - Learning part independently - Performing in concerts and other community events
The Music Studio of Lisa Brunner
- Teach violinists of all levels and ages - Teach beginner violists of all ages - Play the violin for special events
Offering violin and viola lessons at the Monroeville Music Lesson Center- a central location in Monroeville where musicians teach students of all ages from child to adult in the Monroeville and surrounding areas.
Pennsylvania Young Lawyers' Division Mock Trial
- Teach high school students the basics of courtroom advocacy through lecture and demonstration - Reviewing and providing feedback to students on their argument drafts - Assist students in preparing to present both sides of the annual Young Lawyers' Division Mock Trial problem for the annual tournament
The Honorable Beth A. Lazarra, Trial Advocacy
- Assisting the Honorable Beth A. Lazarra in her instruction to 3rd year law students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law - Acting as different types of witnesses in mock trials for students to examine - Acting as opposing counsel against students for practice during objections and arguments - Assisting with instruction by providing practical advice on trial advocacy from the lawyer's perspective
Allegheny County Office of Conflict Counsel
- Represent indigent criminal defendants throughout trial - Representing indigent criminal defendants in appellate proceedings at the Pennsylvania Superior Court and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Neighborhood Learning Alliance
- Supervising students at Pittsburgh Public Schools as they completed the after-school computer-based Nova Net credit-recovery program to prepare for graduation - Assisting students in understanding difficult problems posed by the Nova Net program, including critical thinking; reading strategies; study and note-taking strategies; among other topics. Areas of specialty include: history, English, writing, science, college readiness - Assisting students with college application preparation - Assisting students with assigned homework
Chartiers Valley High School Orchestra
PMEA District Orchestra
University of Pittsburgh
Fluent / Native Proficiency
Let Our Student Counselors Help You
We can match you with the perfect teacher and take care of all your scheduling needs.