- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
- Teaches students:
- Ages 5+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
I've been sewing since I was 13. I've sewn things over the years such as dresses, pajamas. I do a lot of tailoring things too. I just love to sew, and I love teaching people to sew too!
The way that I teach is to help the student develop their own style. I have students work on their own individual projects that they pick out while asking me questions that they might have while they are doing their project.
However, if they would like there is an option for me to develop lessons for the student on certain sewing techniques that the student could learn. Although, be aware that learning how to sew takes time and that all the techniques of sewing cannot be done all at once.
Then, there is the third option that the lesson could be a mix of the student doing what they want (choosing their own project) and learning some pre-designed techniques.
My first goal is to give my students all of the tools they need to feel confident from the very first lesson. I would like for all of my students within the first lesson to finish either of two basic projects (pajama pants or a draw string bag).
My lessons are not like videos you may find online. Meaning projects will take longer than you think they will. I will work with you to properly construct a quality finished project without too many frustrations and in a timely manner. I recommend buying lessons in 90 minute packages, since sewing always takes longer than expected.
THE BEGINNER SEWER
In these lessons we will go over the following, which can be adapted to how you want:
- Sewing safety and how to use a machine
- Learn about the sewing tools you'll be using
- How to read, cut out, layout, and follow a basic pattern instructions
- How to pin and sew a seam, finish seams and sew hems
- Learn to sew on an elastic band (to pajamas or for a tote).
- Learn how to unpick your projects when a mistake is made.
- Learn how to do a basic stitch and the gather stitch.
- TAKE AWAY PROJECTS:
- Sewing Tote
- Basic Dress
- Pillow case
THE INTERMEDIATE SEWER
- Cement what you learned in the while a beginner.
- Learn to hand sew hems etc.
- Learn about different fabrics and when to use them.
- Sew a basic zipper onto clothes or bags.
- Learn about the different foots.
- Learn to do other stitches
-TAKE AWAY PROJECTS
- Intermediate Dresses/ Clothes
THE ADVANCED SEWER
- Work on your own projects you choose with help.
- Work with harder fabrics.
-Use a zipper foot to sew an invisible zipper.
- Learn to do advanced stitches
-Learn about pleats and darts.
- TAKE AWAY PROJECTS
- Prom dress
- Formal Coats
Whether it is for a hobby, to decorate your house, to prepare for design school, or to make your own clothes, I can teach you from the very basic sewing skills, to more advance topics such as modifying your patterns to make clothes that fit.
Code and help to research information about HoloLens and Augmented Reality.
Given Intermediate Mid in Chinese
Great lesson! Very much a lesson about doing and having help along the way. Loved it because I already have a finished project!
She is great and friendly.
Lily S. was very professional. An excellent instructor! I highly recommend her! :)
Julie is very patient and has a great teaching curriculum for kids.
Super engaging and fabulous, very thankful for all of her help
Lily was great! Patient and kind and adapted it to fit the needs of my child.
I love how patient she was with me. I have never done this before and am a true beginner and was a little nervous. Her patience gives me confidence to keep working towards me goals.
Lily was great! She is very knowledgeable and friendly. I learned so much from her. Highly recommend her for any of your sewing needs.
Lily is great! She knows so much about sewing and is a very patient teacher.