- Levels Taught:
- Beginner, Intermediate
If you would like to learn how to be able to easily switch between chords, comfortably keep time, and learn various rhythmic strumming and/or picking styles, I can help! I can also help you learn how to play and sing at the same time if you're interested! Whether you'd like to be able to quickly pick up new songs for yourself, or be able to easily jump into a jam session, I am confident I can aid you in achieving your goals!
- Teaches students:
- Ages 4+ and special needs
- Teaching since:
My name is Liana, and I am a freelance musician (specializing in double bass) and music instructor working in the Greater Los Angeles Area. I have been playing music for nearly my entire life, starting on piano at the age of five and moving on to learn other instruments as the years progressed. I have performed with various orchestras (including studio recording groups), chamber groups, musical theater pit ensembles, jazz big bands and combos, and more.
I have served as principal bassist with the CSUN Symphony and the Dragon Singers Orchestra, and as substitute principal bassist of the Westlake Village Symphony. I have also performed with the band Noble Creatures on ukulele; Tenth Muse on double bass, vocals, and ukulele; as a founding member of the band Polyhymnia on electric bass; the CSUN Jazz "C" Band on double bass; and the Jazzschool Studio Band on double and electric bass.
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I studied double bass under Pat Klobas and Karen Zimmerman. My further double bass studies continued in Los Angeles under Oscar Meza and Dr. Gary Pratt. I received my B.A. in Music Breadth Studies from California State University, Northridge in 2016.
All lessons are incredibly flexible and are tailored to each student's needs, abilities, and goals. Do you have a book you've already been working from and want to continue with? Great! Do you not like working from a book at all? Also great! I am by no means strict, but together we will work hard to you craft your technique to maximize your potential!
PLEASE NOTE: I do unfortunately deal with chronic abdominal pain that has its ups and downs, so there are times that I will need to reschedule and/or cancel lessons with relatively short notice. If you are looking for strict consistency, I may not be the teacher for you; however, if you are willing and able to be flexible, I can be just as flexible as you are.
I look forward to the possibility of meeting and working with you!
• Private Music Instructor: Upright & Electric Bass, Ukulele, & Piano, 2006-Present
• Guest Lecturer: California State University, Northridge (CSUN) Music Entrepreneurship (MUS 485ME), October 2016
• Cello Coach: CSUN Youth Orchestras, Spring 2014
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Girls' Jazz and Blues Camp - Berkeley, CA, August 2009
• Intern/Mentor: Jazzschool Summer Jazz Camp - Berkeley, CA, June 2009
• Drum Major: Gaucho Marching Band - El Cerrito, CA, 2008-2009
- Assistant Drum Major, 2007-2008
• Westlake Village Symphony: Bassist, 2014-2015
- Substitute Principal Bassist, December 2014
- Assistant Principal Bassist, December 2015
• CSUN Symphony: Bassist, 2009-2014
- Bass Section Principal: 2012, 2014
- Assistant Principal, 2010-2012
• American Youth Symphony: Substitute Bassist, 2011-2012
• CSUN Jazz "B" Combos, 2009-2010
• CSUN Jazz "C" Band, Fall 2009
• Jazzschool Studio Band: Bassist, 2007-2009
• Dragon Singer's Orchestra: Bassist, 2008
- Bass Section Principal
• Etude Music Club Endowment: Etude Music Club, Cal. State Northridge, 2014
• Outstanding Soloist: Reno Jazz Festival, 2006, 2007, 2008
• Outstanding Soloist: California State University East Bay Jazz Festival, 2008
• Maestro Award: Heritage Jazz Festival, 2007
• Vice President, Board of Directors: Westlake Village Symphony, June 2016 - April 2017
• Development Director: Westlake Village Symphony, April-November 2016
• Instagram Manager: Conejo Valley Youth Orchestras, November 2015 - February 2016
• Performer (Bass, Vocals, and Ukulele): Tenth Muse, 2013-2014
• Mentor & Bassist: School of Rock Camp - Wellington, New Zealand, December 2006
• Bass Coach: Cazadero Music Camp, Summer 2006
• Oscar Meza: Assistant Principal Bassist, Los Angeles Philharmonic
• Dr. Gary Pratt: Former Director of Jazz Studies, California State University, Northridge
• Pat Klobas: Double Bass Instructor/Lecturer, California State University, East Bay
• Karen Zimmerman: Double Bassist, Santa Rosa Symphony
Great lesson! My daughter said the teacher was very informative and is helping her as she learns a new instrument. Great online environment with no problems. Thank you!
My 11 year old daughter loved her first lesson and we are excited for more!!! This is my family’s second takelessons instructor and we could not be more pleased with the quality we have received from this service!
The lesson went over everything that I wanted to learn! Liana was really nice and did not rush over anything, she took time explaining and I think that we got really far my first lesson
After the first lesson, I was convinced I selected the best instructor. Liana is super knowledgeable, patient, and really takes the time to understand your musical goals. She is an outstanding guide and teacher for my upright bass journey.
Liana is great!!
My son Jourdan just had his first on line lesson today with electric bass and upright bass. He was so impressed with her style and vibe. Can't wait for the next lesson.
Great lesson as always, but the connection was wonky. The stop/start/refresh wasn't ideal. Thanks for adding some time at the end to adjust for that!
She is amazing! She explains everything easily so I can understand! Liana is great!
Liana is working with my daughter. She absolutely loved her first lesson. Highly recommend.
Awesome first lesson! Thank you, looking forward to my next lesson!
Liana is a terrific teacher and we are very fortunate to have her as an instructor for our daughter. She's very patient, encouraging, and is turning the music light on in our daughter. Also, she goes above and beyond with communication and support. Thank you Liana!Show More
My son absolutely loves taking classes from this instructor. She makes learning fun. He looks forward to his lesson each week.
My son absolutely loved it and is looking forward to more lessons.
Emily continues to love her lessons! Three lessons in and beginning a "melody song" - you made her day. Great lesson Liana, thank you so much!
She was very helpful and nice with her teaching
Wonderful first lesson, excellent work with children!
Liana is nice and knows her stuff.
Liana is a great teacher! She makes leaning easy and fun!
Liana is enthusiastic,encouraging and very knowledgeable. She kept the lesson moving at a great pace and was super fun!
Liana has been great teaching and working with my 8 yr old grandson!!
So great with my young children!
My daughter has enjoyed her first lesson with Liana tremendously and is already looking forward to the next one. Liana was both kind and attentive. My daughter has found her lesson exciting and useful.
I really like Liana's style. We got through so much in the first lesson! I have much to learn and excited about the lessons.
I have had a wonderful experience taking ukulele lessons from Liana! She has a patient personality along with a wide knowledge of music. She has the ability to listen and understand where I am at in my learning curve and adjust the lessons to my skill level. I would highly recommend Liana as your next music teacher!Show More
She knows her stuff and gets right to the point of what I needed.